Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Re: Need advice on schools.. [#permalink]
I think in terms of asian business schools, you'll be better off talking directly with an admission consultant who would know a much bigger repertoire of schools than I do. But as a whole, since you're starting to look into business schools, one question that any school would ask you is, why MBA? You'll learn as you go on the journey in getting into a business school as to why you think you'll need an MBA. One reason you might say is that you want to advance your career. Then the next question that's going to follow by others to you would be, how do you think you'll advance your career? Most of the time, PE and VC are a very well-guarded group of people. What edge would you gain by going to, say, Emory to get your MBA that will help accelerate your desire to enter such a well-guarded group? This is something that you'll discover for yourself and trust me, through time, you'll understand where you need to reach. Talk to your friends who went to bschools and ask what they thought about it. Did those who went to a US b-school but now working in Asia thought the schooling was worth it? Was the networking there when he or she wanted to find a job in Asia? These are all questions you'd have to consider and again, you'll find out as you discover more about what business school is all about.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bakfed wrote:
I think in terms of asian business schools, you'll be better off talking directly with an admission consultant who would know a much bigger repertoire of schools than I do. But as a whole, since you're starting to look into business schools, one question that any school would ask you is, why MBA? You'll learn as you go on the journey in getting into a business school as to why you think you'll need an MBA. One reason you might say is that you want to advance your career. Then the next question that's going to follow by others to you would be, how do you think you'll advance your career? Most of the time, PE and VC are a very well-guarded group of people. What edge would you gain by going to, say, Emory to get your MBA that will help accelerate your desire to enter such a well-guarded group? This is something that you'll discover for yourself and trust me, through time, you'll understand where you need to reach. Talk to your friends who went to bschools and ask what they thought about it. Did those who went to a US b-school but now working in Asia thought the schooling was worth it? Was the networking there when he or she wanted to find a job in Asia? These are all questions you'd have to consider and again, you'll find out as you discover more about what business school is all about.

You're right - The Why MBA questions should be the most basic, yet it is really difficult for me to answer. I have been talking to people in PE/VC and some acquaintances that have overseas MBAs. Getting conflicted views, so I guess I will have to take everything into account and contemplate thoroughly.
Thanks alot for your advice so far.
GMAT Club Bot