Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 01:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need Advice on Study Plan

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Need Advice on Study Plan [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2014, 10:59
All,

I hope you're doing well. I have been studying since February and have seen little to no score improvement. I took a MGMAT class and went through all of the materials, but I hover around the Q40 and V32 area. My scores have been 580, 610, and 600 on all of my practice tests. I'm not certain on how to proceed on studying as I feel like previous efforts or self-developed study plans are not working. I originally planned on taking the test at the end of June, but I'm consider delaying as my top schools are far out of reach. Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Millis79
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 112 [1] , given: 11

CAT Tests
Re: Need Advice on Study Plan [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2014, 16:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Millis,

I hope you are doing well! Sorry to hear that your score hasn't improved thus far. A few questions about your prep so far:

1. What was the general framework of your self-study plan? Have you kept an error log?

2. Besides MGMAT, what materials have you used so far in your GMAT prep?

3. Have you taken any official GMAT practice tests?

In terms of general studying this is a helpful post by BB: http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-plan-how-to-start-your-gmat-prep-80727.html If you'd like an example of a day by day GMAT study schedule you can take a look a this GMAT Study Schedule.

If you give me a little more info about your situation I'll try to provide some specific insight.

Happy Studies,

A.

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT Sample Questions to assess your GMAT Quant.

If you found my post useful KUDOS are much appreciated.

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set along with some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Need Advice on Study Plan [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 13:30
A.,

Thank you very much for the response.

1. I am keeping an error log, but not sure at what time intervals I should review the log. I have used pretty much only MGMAT materials and have also used the GMATClub Verbal book.

2. I've got the OG books and have used those as part of my study plan.

3. I have only taken one GMATPrep before I started my studies and scored a 540 (ouch!).

Also, if you have any thoughts on timing, I would be greatly appreciative to hear them. I was planning on taking the test in late June and again in late July. I want to break the coveted 700 mark, but I think I'm cutting it too close.

Thanks,
Millis79
Expert Post
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 11

CAT Tests
Re: Need Advice on Study Plan [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2014, 07:35
Expert's post
Hi Millis,

Hope you are well. I should able to take a closer look when I am done teaching today. In the meanwhile here is an article that is about the CAT and GMAT Timing. Maybe you'll find it helpful.

Have great day,

A.

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set along with some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 112 [1] , given: 11

CAT Tests
Re: Need Advice on Study Plan [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2014, 20:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1. I am keeping an error log, but not sure at what time intervals I should review the log. I have used pretty much only MGMAT materials and have also used the GMATClub Verbal book.
I would review your error log before every study session. If your error log gets too big you can review half of it before each session. Also, be OK skipping 5% of the questions in your review if you find them too difficult. Let's focus on the important 95%.

2. I've got the OG books and have used those as part of my study plan.
OG 13 should be the center of your studying. You can also use the Question Pack 1. Between those two you have a lot of material to work through.

3. I have only taken one GMATPrep before I started my studies and scored a 540 (ouch!).
Before your next exam I would consider taking GMAT Prep 1 and 2 twice each and the Exam Pack 3 + 4. These are excellent resources.

Also, if you have any thoughts on timing, I would be greatly appreciative to hear them. I was planning on taking the test in late June and again in late July. I want to break the coveted 700 mark, but I think I'm cutting it too close.
I think that a lot of improvement is possible in this amount of time. Making a study schedule will help you get the most of it. Really try to break down your studying by the day. For your timing, practice as you would take a test. Treat every question as a test question. Get into good GMAT habits starting now. Be organized. Be consequential. Studying can be very tiring so give yourself a break when you need it - it's better to rest and re-charge than to study when you are exhausted.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Happy Studies,

A.

PS: This article on GMAT Study Habits might be helpful. There are a few points about error log and your timing during practice.

Re: Need Advice on Study Plan   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2014, 20:18