Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 07:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need Advice on What school to Apply to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Need Advice on What school to Apply to [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2005, 18:49
Linda: I know I just post earlier, but I should give you a more formal background of myself for your advice.

-21 year old, Chinese, Female, originally from Hong Kong
-undergraduate overall GPA: 3.4
-English Major GPA: 3.5
-Chinese Minor GPA: 3.6
-will be graduating in Dec 2005; which means I finished my four year degree within 3 years.
-Languages: Cantonese (Native Tongue), English (Fluent), Mandarin (Intermediate, which I took throughout my whole college career), French (Basic, i took 3 years of it in highschool)

Awards:
2002-2004: recipient of Earl and Hazel Endowement Scholarship at University of Nevada, Las Vegas
2002-2005: recipient of Millenium Scholarship at University of Nevada Las Vegas
2004-2005: On Dean's List for Honor Roll

Work experience:
I have worked full-time/part-time ever since I was 16 until even now.
So i am not sure if my work-experience will be considered. I have always worked in high-end retail industry such as For Joseph, Christian Dior, Coach, etc as either sales or cashier/customer service representative. Since I am in Las Vegas, I am always constantly dealing with people from all over the world.

GMAT: I anticipate to take my GMAT during the end of September, hopefully being about to shoot for 680+.

Aspiration: since I have previous experience in high-end luxury brand retail, I have always been interested in working for a luxury brand corporation, or being a management consult for an interntional luxury company. Eventually, I hope to become a CEO or have my own company.

Linda: because I am still young, but yet I dont want to wait to apply just because of my work experience or my age since I have already worked through my college career, is it possible that you can recommend some schools within the US or internationally that I have a good chance of acceptance and with good career placement. I am looking to work internationally or within the US after the MBA. I greatly appreciate your help.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 63

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need Advice on What school to Apply to [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2005, 12:41
Expert's post
Puilunchristin wrote:
Linda: I know I just post earlier, but I should give you a more formal background of myself for your advice.

-21 year old, Chinese, Female, originally from Hong Kong
-undergraduate overall GPA: 3.4
-English Major GPA: 3.5
-Chinese Minor GPA: 3.6
-will be graduating in Dec 2005; which means I finished my four year degree within 3 years.
-Languages: Cantonese (Native Tongue), English (Fluent), Mandarin (Intermediate, which I took throughout my whole college career), French (Basic, i took 3 years of it in highschool)

Awards:
2002-2004: recipient of Earl and Hazel Endowement Scholarship at University of Nevada, Las Vegas
2002-2005: recipient of Millenium Scholarship at University of Nevada Las Vegas
2004-2005: On Dean's List for Honor Roll

Work experience:
I have worked full-time/part-time ever since I was 16 until even now.
So i am not sure if my work-experience will be considered. I have always worked in high-end retail industry such as For Joseph, Christian Dior, Coach, etc as either sales or cashier/customer service representative. Since I am in Las Vegas, I am always constantly dealing with people from all over the world.

GMAT: I anticipate to take my GMAT during the end of September, hopefully being about to shoot for 680+.

Aspiration: since I have previous experience in high-end luxury brand retail, I have always been interested in working for a luxury brand corporation, or being a management consult for an interntional luxury company. Eventually, I hope to become a CEO or have my own company.

Linda: because I am still young, but yet I dont want to wait to apply just because of my work experience or my age since I have already worked through my college career, is it possible that you can recommend some schools within the US or internationally that I have a good chance of acceptance and with good career placement. I am looking to work internationally or within the US after the MBA. I greatly appreciate your help.

HBS and Stanford have been attempting to attract younger applicants. Columbia also takes a few applicants right out of college and it has club devoted to luxury goods marketing club. Those are probably your best bets.

While these schools are more willing to take younger applicants, the younger applicants they do take have usually had internships and experience that is more relevant to the MBA classroom than being a sales clerk or customer service rep. I am sure that you have learned a lot as a sales clerk, but I am sure it will be considered as valuable as those who have actually worked in marketing, PR, or more traditional pre-MBA jobs.

so don't give up on your MBA dream, but also look for post college jobs that will lead you in the direction you want to go.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Another Question on schools [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2005, 14:07
Linda:

Aside from these top tier schools such as Stanford, or HBS that you have recommended, do you have any other recommendations on lower tier schools, becuase i know my GPA might not be good enough for Stanford, even though it is my dream to attend.
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Another Question on schools [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2005, 11:14
Expert's post
Puilunchristin wrote:
Linda:

Aside from these top tier schools such as Stanford, or HBS that you have recommended, do you have any other recommendations on lower tier schools, becuase i know my GPA might not be good enough for Stanford, even though it is my dream to attend.

Your GPA won't be an issue; your lack of competitive experience is much more of an issue. I don't know of other program as open to taking applicants straight from college. IF any one else does, please share the info.

You may find our article with advice for younger MBA applicants helpful.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
What do you think of these [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2005, 11:28
Linda:

i think what I am worry most about is my work expereince, although I do believe that my work experience during my four years of college has a significant impact on my goals, maturity, etc.
What do you think of these schools, these are the ones that I am interested in currently, and still evaluating whether I should go ahead and apply:

Thunderbird
Monterey Institute of International Studies
University of San Francisco
Claremont University
UC Berkeley
UCLA
Stanford
Columbia
Loyola Marymount
Pepperdine
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: What do you think of these [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2005, 11:30
Expert's post
Puilunchristin wrote:
Linda:

i think what I am worry most about is my work expereince, although I do believe that my work experience during my four years of college has a significant impact on my goals, maturity, etc.
What do you think of these schools, these are the ones that I am interested in currently, and still evaluating whether I should go ahead and apply:

Thunderbird
Monterey Institute of International Studies
University of San Francisco
Claremont University
UC Berkeley
UCLA
Stanford
Columbia
Loyola Marymount
Pepperdine

These schools represent a very broad range of programs in terms of their reputations. STanford is internationally recognized as a top 5 MBA program. Loyola Marymount and Pepperdine, in contrast, have strictly a local reputation. That doesn't mean you can't learn well, but it does mean your diploma won't have the cache it would have, if you went to a Stanford, Columbia, or their cousins and perhaps it won't help you gain entry into luxury goods marketing. Given the time and money invested in an MBA degree, I don't think it makes sense to go to a school that is less likely to help you achieve your goals.

Given your grades, obvious talent, and ambition, I would recommend you apply now to the top schools that will consider an application from college grads, but if not accepted this year, work for a couple of years to acquire the experience that will enhance your application. Then apply again in two years at a number of top schools.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Question on chances [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2005, 20:23
Linda:

I have listed previously my credentials and experiences. I need more confidence! Do you think I stand a chance at these following schools?

Stanford
UCLA
USC
Thunderbird
Berkeley
University of Arizona
NYU

If not, do you have any recommendations? I am only looking at schools in CA, NY, or AZ.
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question on chances [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2005, 19:56
Expert's post
Puilunchristin wrote:
Linda:

I have listed previously my credentials and experiences. I need more confidence! Do you think I stand a chance at these following schools?

Stanford
UCLA
USC
Thunderbird
Berkeley
University of Arizona
NYU

If not, do you have any recommendations? I am only looking at schools in CA, NY, or AZ.

You have a chance at Stanford and UCLA. I'm not sure about the other schools policy towards accepting applicants straight from college.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Chance at Columbia? [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2005, 20:12
Linda, Do you think I will have a chance at Columbia?
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chance at Columbia? [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2005, 20:22
Expert's post
Puilunchristin wrote:
Linda, Do you think I will have a chance at Columbia?

Yes.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Almost finalized choices [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2005, 17:51
Linda:

I think I've finally picked out my schools, can you tell me if these are wise choices or not for the schools that I am planning on applying to with my profile:

Stanford, Columbia, UCLA, Thunderbird, University of Arizona...and possibly USC?

Do you think it's too many schools? Should I narrow it down more or should I find more other options? What do you think?
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Almost finalized choices [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2005, 22:02
Expert's post
Puilunchristin wrote:
Linda:

I think I've finally picked out my schools, can you tell me if these are wise choices or not for the schools that I am planning on applying to with my profile:

Stanford, Columbia, UCLA, Thunderbird, University of Arizona...and possibly USC?

Do you think it's too many schools? Should I narrow it down more or should I find more other options? What do you think?

Stanford, CBS, and UCLA are good choices. I don't know what Arizona's, Thunderbird's, or USC's policies towards undergrad applicants. I also don't know how well these schools would support the ambitions of someone interested in luxury good marketing.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
other options? [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2005, 07:12
Do you know if there are "other" schools that are good in my area of interests and would look at an undergrad applicant?
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: other options? [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2005, 15:42
Expert's post
Puilunchristin wrote:
Do you know if there are "other" schools that are good in my area of interests and would look at an undergrad applicant?

Please see my earlier replies.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553