Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 02:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need advice on which MBA to select

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need advice on which MBA to select [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 00:34
Hi guys! I need an advice from you on which MBA to apply to.

Briefly about me:
Undergrad: Dickinson College (PA), 3.77 GPA. Double major in International Business and Management, and Italian.
GMAT: 730.
Work experience: 1 year in a technology procurement department of a communications company (NYC); brief span at KPMG audit (hated it); now for around half a year I've been working at a small advertising agency as a project manager (Ukraine).
Extracurricular experience: at college volunteered a lot, and was part of the student senate. Since college haven't done much. However, i've been teaching english part-time for the last 4 months.
Interests: marketing/advertising seemed interesting to me, but frankly, now I struggle to find a purpose in this career. Finance doesn't interest me even a bit. Recently have been thinking about a career in education, but not as a teacher. Have been looking at MOOCs and companies like Doulingo, Amplify and GameDesk (I am very interested to learn the ways to equate opportunities for people around the world to get quality knowledge). I am excited to learn motivation strategies, and know more about business sustainability, and innovative technologies. Kind of hoping to someday have a business of my own, but it's not a fixation.
Recently I've been trying to learn a programming language, but it's been going slowly. I feel that my jobs were not very technical and it creats a gap in my knowledge. Looking for ways to fix that.

I live in Ukraine, and definitely want to get out since opportunities to grow are limited here. Have been thinking about different places, but Canada seems the best choice so far (employment opportunities, economic situation, easier to immigrate to than the US). Already applied to Ivey MBA, and had an interview a week ago. Thinking where else to apply this summer, or just accept an invitation from Ivey, if it comes of course.

Let me know what you think.
Thank you!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 101

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Need advice on which MBA to select [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 03:06
I think it will be hard for anyone to suggest any appropriate schools until you work out what you want out of an MBA. While an MBA is definitely for exploring different interests you do have to have a direction, at least for the benefit of your admissions. Also I would be slightly worried about your comment that finance does not interest you at all. Almost all MBAs have core courses you are required to take that will involve finance courses. So whether you like it or not you will have to take some.

The good thing is your GPA and GMAT are both good. Secondly you have taken an interesting career path with international exposure. The bad thing is that you have had a number of roles in a short amount of time and there is a lack of structure. You will need to straighten that out to clarify where you want to go and why an MBA will help you. Another negative is that you lack work experience. If you look at the class profiles of the top 15 schools, their average is around 4-5 years of WE.

Good luck with your application at Ivey.

*Updated 25th July*: Embracing the downtime
Blog: http://domotron.wordpress.com

Elements of an MBA application series
GMAT (28/02) | Profile (11/03) | Networking / Research (01/04) | Recommendations (30/05) | Essays / Online applications | Interview

My 710 (Q50, V36) Debrief + 740 (Q48, V44) Update:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/710-q50-v36-phew-i-m-done-with-the-gmat-probably-150067.html

Please share your profiles for this application season below:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/2014-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-162160.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Need advice on which MBA to select [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 03:25
Thank you, domotron.

My major interest is, as I stated (maybe not clearly enough), in the sphere of education, and in companies that work toward spreading quality education around the world (whether by creating sustainable structures/platforms (Coursera) for online education or software to improve learning (GameDesk)). The one thing I am not sure about is the role that I wish to play in such a company. I guess I am looking for MBA programs which focus on entrepreneurship, and sustainable business strategy.
As for my comment about finance, I want to clarify that I am not looking forward to a career in finance. The finance courses I only welcome.

I understand that for the top schools I need more experience, for that I just need time. As for the lack of structure, I am trying to fix that too. And a number of roles that I had only helps me to define what I wish to do for the rest of my life and what I don't.

Again, thank you for your comment!

May I ask what you think about Ivey MBA?
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 101

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Need advice on which MBA to select [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 07:30
In actual fact, you sound a lot more focused than I gathered from your first post!

As for Ivey, unfortunately I cannot be much help as I don't know much about that school. However, I'm sure there are other members here who chime in about Ivey.

*Updated 25th July*: Embracing the downtime
Blog: http://domotron.wordpress.com

Elements of an MBA application series
GMAT (28/02) | Profile (11/03) | Networking / Research (01/04) | Recommendations (30/05) | Essays / Online applications | Interview

My 710 (Q50, V36) Debrief + 740 (Q48, V44) Update:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/710-q50-v36-phew-i-m-done-with-the-gmat-probably-150067.html

Please share your profiles for this application season below:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/2014-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-162160.html

Re: Need advice on which MBA to select   [#permalink] 24 May 2013, 07:30