Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 13:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

NEED Advice: Question on essay grammar review

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
NEED Advice: Question on essay grammar review [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2007, 19:24
NEED Advice from Alumnus: Question on essay grammar review for non-native English language speaker.

Hi all.

I have a dilemma: to correct essays from the point of view of English language teacher, to make some minor corrections (articles, punctuation, everything not concerning sentence structure), or to accept all the changes?

I’m not a native speaker. I want to send applications to US schools. I wrote my essays by myself, and I gave them for review to the English language teacher. Now I have 2 versions of essay (initial variant and corrected variant) and don’t know what to do.

On the one hand, while applying to business school I should sign the “the Honor Pledge”where I state that I wrote essays by my own and nobody helped me in this.

For example (Columbia BS): “… I further certify that the application and all essays are exclusively my own work and that no recommendations, transcripts or supporting materials have been falsified. I am aware that any misrepresentation or omission of facts in my application will justify the denial of admission or the cancellation of admission.”

On the other hand I think it is not the right way to send grammatically incorrect essays to the top business schools. But I try to think from the point of view of AdComs: suppose I’m invited to the interview. AdComs see my clear English in essays and not so good English (TOEFL iBT 108 though) during interview. What will be their reaction? Could they point out that I’m not the author of my essays and reject me from admission?

Please, advise!
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2007, 19:33
i wouldnt worry at all about having somebody check your essays for grammar...i think you cross the line when you somebody writing whole paragraphs of your essays
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2007, 19:36
So, better to accept all the corrections (I asked for minor corrections in order to leave my "personality")? What do you suggest?
  [#permalink] 30 Aug 2007, 19:36