Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 17:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need advice regarding my GMAT study plan

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need advice regarding my GMAT study plan [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2009, 19:44
I started my gmat prep a month ago and i am kind of stuck at this point and looking for advice on how to further my preparation.

I have taken guidelines for my study plan from bb's gmat study plan for novices and formulated my own plan and held to it for a month. Now after one month into the study plan i am kind of stuck and looking for advice in rehashing my approach.

Here is what I've done so far
- Took GMAT diagnostic test to check my intial point, scored Q 29 and V 24.
- Bought all 4 MGMAT quant study guides and kaplan math workbook in addition to OG 11 ed and quantitative review.
- In the past month , I have worked only on math. Reviewed basics and worked on math problems of kaplan math workbook. While at it I also finished reading Manhattan NP and FDP study guide.
- Now looking back into last month ,so far i have completed arithmetic section of kaplan work book and Manhattan NP and Decimals,fractions and percentages study guides.

My question is - should I continue working on math alone i.e continue working on algebra and geometry and after finishing up with those, start Verbal or should I start Verbal in parallel. I have been working on kaplan math workbook problems and MGMAT study guide in action problems in parallel.. is this a good approach? Looking for advice.

Thanks
Ananth
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Need advice regarding my GMAT study plan [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 08:14
Hello ananthv,

Your approach to quant is fine. That being said, you do not need to take a practice test to assess progress on quant alone. You should be able to look at your progress over the time spent studying and (hopefully) see an improvement in approach and an improvement in the # of correct answers.

Are you using an error log to maintain progress? This is key to identify shortcomings along the way and adjust your study plan accordingly.

I personally believe you should move to verbal now. You have spent a good amount of time on quant and now it is time to study verbal, and then take another practice test to assess your progress and adjust your study plan accordingly.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Need advice regarding my GMAT study plan [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2009, 07:00
Thanks Mohater for the advice.

I just started using an error log and i am doing entries where am going wrong and also entering problems which i was unable to solve. You are right about verbal - I have started working on MGMAT SC guides.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Need advice regarding my GMAT study plan [#permalink] New post 25 May 2014, 08:28
Hi All,
I have already taken my GMAT date for July 18th and started my preparation in beginning of May.
But , till now i have only managed to complete Quant Section of OG13 , with an overall accuracy rate of approximately 72 % .
My study pattern has been very erratic, a result of which, is i can study on weekends only for like 3 hrs or so.

i am looking for some advice on what my study plan should be for getting a score of 710+ in less than 2 months, and how to stay motivated all along.

My profile : -
Age 32
Experience - 8 years
Indian IT Male,

Please advice
Intern
Intern

Re: Need advice regarding my GMAT study plan [#permalink] New post 26 May 2014, 04:52
There is nothing to say on your plan this much enough to prepare for GMAT.

Financial Services Industry

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 661 [0], given: 6

Re: Need advice regarding my GMAT study plan [#permalink] New post 26 May 2014, 16:27
Expert's post
If you are in your intense study stage -- I would recommend focusing just on quant and ignore verbal for the time being. Then when you are done, you can focus intensely on verbal and ignore quant. Then mix the two together.

In the very beginning it's good to mix the two to get a sense of the various types of questions. But once you begin your hardcore, serious studying -- we recommend the approach above.

For more information, please see: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... study-plan

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Re: Need advice regarding my GMAT study plan [#permalink] New post 28 May 2014, 11:15
I think you have spent way too much. I hope it helps. Best of luck
Re: Need advice regarding my GMAT study plan   [#permalink] 28 May 2014, 11:15