Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 23:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need advice! Score 104 but only 19 on speaking. Retake?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.57
WE: Sales (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 11

Need advice! Score 104 but only 19 on speaking. Retake? [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2012, 23:26
Hi, all. I from Thailand, which is not an English speaking country. So I think I need to take TOEFL exam. Here is the split of my score:

Overal 104. (R 30 L 28 S 19 W 27)

Actually, 104 is not a very bad score, but since 19 on speaking is extremely low,I just consider taking the exam again.

I am sure that I can get higher score than that sinceI scored 23 on my 1st attempt , and I caught a cold on exam date. So, my voice is not very clear and understandable.

I am aiming to apply to schools like Connell, UCLA, Vanderbuilt, Carnegie Mellon and may be MIT.

Mostly, they require a min of 100, but I am afraid that 19 on speaking would not demonstrate my true ability and might damage my chance of getting into these schools.

Anyways, I scored 40 (88%) on Verbal part of GMAT. Not sure if this could help as some schools say that if you score higher than 80% on verbal, TOEFL can be waived.

So, u guys have any suggestion if I should take TOEFL again? Thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Accounting
Schools: NUS '15
GMAT Date: 11-09-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 2

Re: Need advice! Score 104 but only 19 on speaking. Retake? [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2012, 10:39
This post received
KUDOS
hi... 104 is not a bad score at all, but considering the universities you are applying to, it is NOT going to affect your admission decision. However, it is definitely going to affect your chances of getting an assistantship or a scholarship. So, in case, you were aiming for either of the two, you should go ahead and take it again.

Do a lot of reading excercises, watch english movies, think of any random topic and speak out to yourself, record yourself and see how you could have sounded better. With a score of 40 on verbal, you should be just fine :)

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.57
WE: Sales (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 11

Re: Need advice! Score 104 but only 19 on speaking. Retake? [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 07:38
Hey, thanks for your idea. I didn't know that low score can affect scholarship and stuffs as well.

So, I already book the test date. Hopefully, I will pass this time. :-D
Re: Need advice! Score 104 but only 19 on speaking. Retake?   [#permalink] 26 Jun 2012, 07:38