Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 00:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need advice - SO frustrated with GMAT quant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need advice - SO frustrated with GMAT quant [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 13:26
Hey guys,

So I scored an 800 on my SAT math and took AP Calc, but after 4 years of college (and very little math besides statistics, finance, and accounting) I'm finding the GMAT quant. section to be somewhat difficult. It's gotten to the point where it's become so incredibly frustrating that I hate even cracking open the book.

Did any of you go through this? How did you get over this slump?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V38
GPA: 3.94
WE: Accounting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 17

Re: Need advice - SO frustrated with GMAT quant [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 14:17
kayo12 wrote:
Hey guys,

So I scored an 800 on my SAT math and took AP Calc, but after 4 years of college (and very little math besides statistics, finance, and accounting) I'm finding the GMAT quant. section to be somewhat difficult. It's gotten to the point where it's become so incredibly frustrating that I hate even cracking open the book.

Did any of you go through this? How did you get over this slump?

Hi kayo12,

Do you have any prep books such as manhattan GMAT or veritas ? If you are rusty in math, yoou should go over the basics first. I was in the same position as you (had a hard time and disliked GMAT math) and I bought the 8 manhattan prep books (5 quant and 3 verbal) and it really helped me bring me back up to speed especially for math.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Need advice - SO frustrated with GMAT quant [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 14:32
Quant is really tough and only can be improved with a ton of practice and smart studying. My strategy was to become accustomed to 800-level questions so that the actual test wouldn't seem that bad. I took a lot of the GMAT Club math tests (which were really tough) and Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Challenge problem set. I took these after I learned the basics of course. If you can get your head around these two sources, then you will definitely do well come test day.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Need advice - SO frustrated with GMAT quant [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 14:42
Thanks a lot - really appreciate the incite. How long did you guys study for until that breakthrough moment when things just started to click?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V38
GPA: 3.94
WE: Accounting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 17

Re: Need advice - SO frustrated with GMAT quant [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 14:52
kayo12 wrote:
Thanks a lot - really appreciate the incite. How long did you guys study for until that breakthrough moment when things just started to click?

I started to study 1 month ago. Now I feel much more comfortable solving problems. You need to keep it up even if sometimes it is frustrating, don't worry you'll reach a point where you will be able to solve the problems. Just do not give up. It's also necessary to get accustom to the type of problems that you encounter on the GMAT. The more you are comfortable with the type of questions, the better you will become at solving them.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Need advice - SO frustrated with GMAT quant [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 16:38
kayo12 wrote:

I don't know if I ever really had a breakthrough moment when things just started to click. I just gradually became accustomed to very difficult problems, so when I actually took the test things didn't seem that bad.
Re: Need advice - SO frustrated with GMAT quant   [#permalink] 20 Jun 2011, 16:38