Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 03:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need Advise - 690 GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need Advise - 690 GMAT [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 11:59
Hello,

I gave my second attempt on the gmat last weekend and scored a 690.
I am a bit disappointed I missed being part of the "700 Club" by 10 points since I was consistantly scoring a 720 in all practice tests.

I scored a 620 in my first attempt but wasnt convinced this was accurate since I was scoring a 720 consistantly in all practice tests at the time.

I have 2 questions :

1. Do all universities consider the highest score of all attempts or take an average. I have not read any clear take on this anywhere on the university websites.

2. How does this score compare? I thought getting a 700 would make admissions into the top schools a non issue from a GMAT score perspective. But I m not sure how a 690 fits in terms of cutoff for top schools.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 379 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Need Advise - 690 GMAT [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 12:04
10pointsshort wrote:
1. Do all universities consider the highest score of all attempts or take an average. I have not read any clear take on this anywhere on the university websites.

2. How does this score compare? I thought getting a 700 would make admissions into the top schools a non issue from a GMAT score perspective. But I m not sure how a 690 fits in terms of cutoff for top schools.

1. Highest score. A 690 is good enough for all the top programs.

2. At this point, the GMAT score will mainly be used to separate like candidates. Example: if one spot is between you and another candidate and the school doesn't have much to differentiate on, the GMAT score will come more into play.

You're on the table for all top programs. Focus on your application and you should be fine.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Need Advise - 690 GMAT [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 12:06
10pointsshort wrote:
Hello,

I gave my second attempt on the gmat last weekend and scored a 690.
I am a bit disappointed I missed being part of the "700 Club" by 10 points since I was consistantly scoring a 720 in all practice tests.

I scored a 620 in my first attempt but wasnt convinced this was accurate since I was scoring a 720 consistantly in all practice tests at the time.

I have 2 questions :

highest score BUT if you consistently dont show improvement or regress it might look bad in the bigger picture.

people do think 700 is the "holy grail" but it is dependent on the school you applying to. If top 10 most have 710 as mean so 710 would be your "holy grail". I am not sure about non-issue but if you get 99% it probably doesn't matter if it is 760(?) or 800.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Re: Need Advise - 690 GMAT   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2010, 12:06