Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 18:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need advise after "failed" first GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need advise after "failed" first GMAT [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2009, 16:47
Hey guys,
I am new to this forum. to introduce myself: i am patrick studiying in uk since this year (before 2 years in germany), who wants to get in top master program in europe (mba admission wont consider because i have barely work experience) and is apparently in need of your advise. i recently took the gmat and scored 640 (q42, v36) after 4-5 weeks of intensive preperation (approx. 5-6 hours a day). altough english is not my native tongue i practiced a lot more for the quant part. unfortunately, i started to learn with kaplan stuff and later (about 2-3 weeks before the exam) bought mgmat realizing that kaplan was a relative waste of time. on test day i was a bit shocked about my performance on quant ... i think did quite good on the first few questions but was then confronted with some question that put me off since i realizied that i had problems to find a direct conceptual approach to the problem. since this moment i was getting into a habit of guessing and additionally it appeared that i wasnt able to solve relatively easy questions any more, there was a word problem with car dealer and i was absolutely sure about the algebra but must have done mistakes within my calculations and so my solution on the noteboard didnt show up on the screen.

after my prep tests and the real one, i think my weaknesses are: i sometimes need very long to grasp a problem that looks unusual or new to me, i am lacking a conceptual and fast approach, i think i am stronger in artihmetic than in algebra (altough i also had trouble with some arithmetic questions on the test day)

here is what i used for my preperation:

mgmat word problems (4th)
mgmat equations (3rd)
mgmat number properties (3rd)
mgmat sc (4th)
kaplan premier 2009
kaplan 800
off review 12th and quant

CATs:
1 from Prep Software
5 MGMAT
3 Kaplan from CD

i want to improve my score to 700+. i will buy all the other mgmat books. what do you think about buying manhattan review quant additionally? I also thought to buy some non-gmat books to practice rc in general.

I would really appreciate advise from you guys!!!!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: SSE
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 302 [0], given: 22

Re: Need advise after "failed" first GMAT [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2009, 13:40
choky wrote:
Hey guys,
i sometimes need very long to grasp a problem that looks unusual or new to me, i am lacking a conceptual and fast approach,

That happens to me sometimes, I think this is more a skill rather than a method, I think doing word problems is a good way to improve this skill since you have to translate words into algebra, but obviously different kind of word problems not the same kind all the time.

I purchased Sackmann's Extreme Challenges, I just started yesterday and there are more difficult questions than the OG for sure, although it's true what a member of this forum said, there're probably too much probability questions. I heard that Geometry and DS challenges are also good, I'll give a chance to the DS I think. Of course, GMAT Club Tests are another source of difficult questions.

hope is helpful, good luck!

Performance: Gmat | Toefl
Contributions: The Idioms Test | All Geometry Formulas | Friendly Error Log | GMAT Analytics
MSc in Management: All you need to know | Student Lifestyle | Class Profiles

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Need advise after "failed" first GMAT [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2009, 17:47
what is a word problem, can you please give an example of this??
Current Student
Schools: SSE
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 302 [0], given: 22

Re: Need advise after "failed" first GMAT [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2009, 00:47
dolly12 wrote:
what is a word problem, can you please give an example of this??

You can find tons of them quickly thanks to the new tag feature:
Word Problems

Performance: Gmat | Toefl
Contributions: The Idioms Test | All Geometry Formulas | Friendly Error Log | GMAT Analytics
MSc in Management: All you need to know | Student Lifestyle | Class Profiles

Re: Need advise after "failed" first GMAT   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2009, 00:47