Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Dec 2014, 07:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need advise on GMAT PILL V/s Economist GMAT(VERBAL ONLY)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 276 [0], given: 320

Premium Member CAT Tests
Need advise on GMAT PILL V/s Economist GMAT(VERBAL ONLY) [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2013, 23:40
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi experts,

I have been researching on which course I should take since last two weeks.And given the financial inputs that I can give I have zeroed upon two courses

(1). GMAT Pill

(2). Economist GMAT Prep

Few pointers that I have perceived till now for both the courses are:

(1). GMAT Pill

SC:

The approach is good and have worked for many , but somehow I am skeptical about the process of elimination in SC.Because sometimes the answer is rejected not on the solid grounds, but just by looking 2-3 words as "which","that" etc.

Refund Guarantee:

I have read many reviews about the same on BTG and GM Club, and have seen folks posting that the refund policy is ambiguous.

RC:

RC is best rated and has a different approach.I am fully convinced.

CR:

Haven't seen it yet.

Email replies:

Replies take a lot of time even I haven't signed up with them yet.But the general queries which a candidate has are replied after 2-3 days.Don't know once I register my queries will be replied in a shorter time span or will it take more time.

Pricing:

Pricing is economical as far as verbal is considered.But knowing the fact that the frameworks are discussed openly and a candidate can learn the concepts for free by watching some videos available on the website, I don't find what is in there for a paid student.

(2). Economist GMAT

Very Very basic for a repeater who has already done with the MGMAT Books,GMAT Prep mocks,aristotle SC Grail,aristotle RC99,Powerscore CR Bible.

+ve: It is an adaptive platform
+ve :More practice questions than GMAT Pill
+ve: Personal tutoring
+ve : More mock test than GMAT Pill
+ve: Great reviews by repeaters
+ve: Very reactive as far as Email responses are concerned , a point over GMAT Pill.

-ve: No score improvement guarantee for ONLY VERBAL Package
-ve: Costlier than GMAT Pill
-ve: Minimal queries will be answered (I suppose 50 queries only)
-ve: Question level is less than the actual GMAT
-ve: Refund Policy is not clear
-ve: GMAT Pill membershipof lifetime. However, they offer a membership of 1-Year

My profile in brief :

I gave GMAT and scored 630(Q47,V29). I am confident to score Q49-Q50 in quant.However, I need guidance in Verbal ,so I am searching for the same.

Please advise !!

Rgds,
TGC !

Rgds,
TGC!

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Need advise on GMAT PILL V/s Economist GMAT(VERBAL ONLY) [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2013, 00:35
Experts plz pour in your thoughts !!!

Rgds,
TGC!

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 302

Kudos [?]: 752 [0], given: 6

Re: Need advise on GMAT PILL V/s Economist GMAT(VERBAL ONLY) [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2013, 06:22
Expert's post
Hi targetgmatchotu,

Received a message to respond here. With so many options, it can get confusing. Perhaps we can add some insight:

RC Thoughts

Yes, nobody does RC the way we do.

For a sample: http://www.gmatpill.com/practicequestio ... tions.html

SC Thoughts

Yes, our SC is quite strong. The focus is on thought-process

You can try our Interactive SC Diagnostic free: try.gmatpill.com

As an example of the "that vs which" dilemma, we do go into detail about how THAT restricts the scope of what you are talking about and WHICH is used to generally describe something.
Please make sure you skip towards the middle of the video (part 2 of 3) here that shows the diagram:

http://www.gmatpill.com/presentations/f ... lesson.mp4

So there is a legitimate explanation for understanding THAT vs WHICH here. It's not just "by looking"..
In Part 1 of the video - we answer it in real-time, as if we are sitting in front of the exam computer and you are looking over our shoulder. But in Part 2 and Part 3, we explain what was going on in our head earlier in Part 1.

Response Time

Many students are amazed by our response time. Occasionally, there may be issues - as documented here: gmatpill-issue-resolved-3-hours-truly-worldclass-service-157251.html#p1253091 - still we resolved the issue in < 3 hours.

If you scroll to the bottom of this link: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/
--you can see we are very active and timely in our responses to queries. We do gets lots of questions, but oftentimes, you'll learn from other student questions and our responses to them.
Video explanations to these Practice Pill Platform questions + access to the 6-pill video course are available to paid members only.

What paid members get

Quote:
But knowing the fact that the frameworks are discussed openly

--Sure, but only a few portions of 1 framework have been shown to the public. The remaining parts of that 1 framework as well as the other 9 frameworks are inside the course only.
As an taster, you can reference: http://www.gmatpill.com/ebook/GMATPill- ... -promo.pdf

Paid members get full access to all the 6-Pill course videos--this is where the core fundamental teachings are. You can see a community of students discussing these topics inside. They get full access to the Practice Pill Platform, which include detailed video explanations. They can post questions and get answers to their questions.

Paid members can access all of the above videos as well as their practice pill performance on their mobile device - iOS + Android. They can also access the full course videos on the big screen with the iPad--they can download them and watch them even without an internet connection. Note, the only devices we do not support at the moment are Android tablets. Android smartphones are covered.

Non-paid members can only see the question inside Practice Pill Platform and corresponding questions. Their questions are not guaranteed to be answered. They will not see video explanations. Non-paid members will not be able to access course materials on the apps. And they cannot post questions inside the members-only course area.

Guarantee

Please reference our guarantee page: http://www.gmatpill.com/the-gmat-pill-m ... gmat-pill/

We offer a 50 pt guarantee. You will need to reach your minimum score guarantee on the GMAT Pill Practice Test before walking into the exam. In other words, if you haven't even scored a 700 in practice, you can't expect to score a 700 on the real thing. We believe this is quite reasonable.

Critical Reasoning

Here's a sample screenshot of our video

We use a visual approach in our explanations.

Sample CR question + video explanation: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... stion/1340

Where Our Real Value Is

We believe our real value is in our speed-learning techniques and thought process--we can only communicate that through our video explanations.

Sure, we have 1,000+ questions - but our focus is on explaining each of those really well ---and we can only do that through video. Text can only do so much. Video shows where you need to focus and also demonstrates timing.

"But [they] have 5,000 questions.."

--Honestly, do you think it makes a difference for your actual studies? Chances are, you'll be super tired after 1,000 questions. If you actually do 5,000 questions, you'll get burned out by test day and probably freeze up when the actual thing counts. That's not where you want to be.

This is a logical fallacy: "If I do 5,000 questions, my score will necessarily be higher than if I do 1,000 questions"---wrong!

This is a critical reasoning flaw! The assumption is that more questions = high performance. This is not true.

High performance is all about thought process. Sure, doing a lot of questions can be helpful - but only to a certain point. And when it comes to thought process, LESS = MORE. Efficiency is important.

Having said that, we are continuously adding new questions - but honestly, that alone is not going to improve your score.

No other prep company has helped a non-native get off the waitlist AND score a $50,000 MBA scholarship due to a GMAT increase from 690 to 760.
No other prep company has helped a native English speaker score 770, AWA 6/6, IR 8/8 AND a full scholarship to LBS.

There are a lot of points of distinction - for more, please see: http://gmatclub.com/blog/courses/gmat-p ... /?fl=homeb

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Last edited by GMATPill on 13 Aug 2013, 07:17, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 276 [1] , given: 320

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Need advise on GMAT PILL V/s Economist GMAT(VERBAL ONLY) [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2013, 09:18
This post received
KUDOS
I agree to your each and every point. However, don't you think that for non-natives practice of more question is also crucial such that they can apply the thought process and thereby imbibe that thought process into their brains.

By doing less number of questions the thought process won't become second nature to a non-native when he/she encounters the questions on the REAL Thing.

Plz advise !

Rgds,
TGC !

Rgds,
TGC!

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 302

Kudos [?]: 752 [0], given: 6

Re: Need advise on GMAT PILL V/s Economist GMAT(VERBAL ONLY) [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 07:00
Expert's post
targetgmatchotu wrote:
I agree to your each and every point. However, don't you think that for non-natives practice of more question is also crucial such that they can apply the thought process and thereby imbibe that thought process into their brains.

By doing less number of questions the thought process won't become second nature to a non-native when he/she encounters the questions on the REAL Thing.

Plz advise !

Rgds,
TGC !

Fair question - for non-natives, doing more questions will be more beneficial than it would be for native speaker. So yes, you should look at more questions than the average native speaker.

However, don't underestimate the power of revisiting questions you have seen. Sure, maybe parts of it may be in your memory. But until you can go through an entire set of say--100 questions--straight through without any errors--there is still work to be done.

Keep in mind OG SC has 140 questions + a dozen or so diagnostic ones. GMAT Prep has a bunch. GMAT Pill has flashcard exercises as well as 100+ SC Practice questions. So all together, you've got some 300-400 questions from SC alone. Make the most out of them. Redo them religiously - forwards, backwards, in random order, etc. For details on how to "do" GMAT questions - see: http://www.gmatpill.com/practice-questi ... mat-study/

OG and GMATPrep still remain the ultimate source for high quality questions. When you go for any other source, especially one that may have outsourced the creation of lots of questions - you risk sacrificing quality in exchange for quantity--something we do not advise for maximizing your understanding of the exam as a busy professional with limited time.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Director
Director

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Need advise on GMAT PILL V/s Economist GMAT(VERBAL ONLY) [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2013, 20:16
GMAT Prep Now is offering

$139 Full package (Quant +Verbal)

And guaranteeing my score improvement from 630 to 680.

Any advise on this course 'GMAT PREP NOW', knowing the fact that I am aiming Q50,V40

Rgds,
TGC !

Rgds,
TGC!

Director
Director

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Need advise on GMAT PILL V/s Economist GMAT(VERBAL ONLY) [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2013, 21:31
Folks,

Feedbacks if at all on GMAT PREP NOW Please

Rgds,
TGC !

Rgds,
TGC!

Re: Need advise on GMAT PILL V/s Economist GMAT(VERBAL ONLY)   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2013, 21:31