Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need advise ... (with 690)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need advise ... (with 690) [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2007, 04:37
Hi,

Let me ask for some advice from you guys .... my GMAT score is 690 (Q49, V35) .... with this kind of score, do you think I can expect a call from any A-class schools?

I am Indian, my Engg CPA is not that impressive. Am having around 10years of work experience in the Software industry (with 5+ yrs abroad experience - US & UK). Started my career in a multinational software company, and kept on moving up the ladder all throughout. Yearly appraisals have always been good, and got several awards in the companies that I worked for. Filed a few Patents also. Extra-curricular ... so so kind.

Before my GMAT, I was aspiring for the top-tier schools (my dream list: Kellogg, Harvard, Chicago, Wharton, Columbia & Carnegie-Mellon), but afterwards I am kinda doubtful with the screwed up 75 percentile in the Verbal score.....

Maybe I have to reconsider the idea of leaving my job & going for 2yrs full-time program. Unless I can enter in one of the top-tier schools, probably it won't make much sense to sacrifice my 2yrs' salary & take a loan, that too with 10yrs of experience.... what do you say? Maybe I need to explore more on Executive MBA ...

Do you suggest retaking the GMAT & see if I can get around 730+?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2007, 07:29
I think your message shows you have a pretty good feel for where you stand. Given your demographic, 690 is pretty low. I think you can rule out Harvard entirely. Your own assessment that your work record is not that impressive probably puts you out of contention for Wharton & Chicago. Kellogg loves extracurricular activities, especially the charitable kind, and your own report is that you are so-so in this area; chances are extremely slim here.

So that leaves Columbia and Tepper. Columbia has a record of favoring high GMAT scores, and again, yours is low given your demographic and this level of school. I think you might have a shot a Tepper, based on the limited info you've provided, but it's hard to say how good your chances actually are.

You've also hit on another major issue. With 10 years of work experience, you are at the very high end of what schools will consider for age and experience. Older admitted students for the most part either have other advanced degrees (MD, JD) or spent time in the military. At this stage of your career, most places will try to push you to an executive program.

I think there's something else you might consider. You listed 5 ultra-elite schools and 1 near-elite. You left out elite schools altogether. I think your chances with the ultra-elites are almost zero, but you might have a shot at some of the elites.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2007, 11:42
Thanks a lot for your detailed analysis.

I know I am a bit aged for that with 10yrs of experience, but bcos of some constraints in the personal front, couldn't go for it before.
Somebody was telling me that a 690 with 10yrs (& with family, kids etc) is a good combination, and there is no point in going for a retake.

More so my work experience is above ordinary. It was not like a "typical Indian IT" kind. I have 2 US patents under my name & that might count some weight ....

My extra-curricular involves university level Cricket & some serioud mountaineering at the Himalayas. Also I was a student leader in Engg. Not sure if these would count, but I need to do some research where would I stand among the competition with all these. But I agree with you, I probably don't stand a chance in the ultra-elites.

Thanks for your input anyway ..... will contact again for advices.

best regards.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2007, 15:34
sevenvaio wrote:
Thanks a lot for your detailed analysis.

I
More so my work experience is above ordinary. It was not like a "typical Indian IT" kind. I have 2 US patents under my name & that might count some weight ....

If you have a dynamite plan for developing those patents into a business, I'd say you have a chance at any school. H/S/W of course being long shots, thought they are for everyone. A 690 really won't keep you out, though it won't get you in. Good luck and work on your essays, communicating what you want to do clearly will be your ticket.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2007, 12:49
That's great advice .... thank you ... let me follow those.
Current Student
Schools: Emory class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2007, 06:29
I think you'd have a shot at some of the top schools, but 690 is a little below average at those schools. I say that if you could study for 1 month and concentrate strictly on raising your verbal score into the 40 range, your score will rise significantly. Then, you would have a much better chance at the top schools.

That's just my opinion.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2007, 07:20
Thanks emoryhopeful for the advice. I am thinking in those lines too.
Regds.
  [#permalink] 12 Sep 2007, 07:20