Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 09:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need an advice for the verbal part

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: Q48 V21
GPA: 3.48
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User
Need an advice for the verbal part [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2014, 03:32
Hey Guys

Last year I took the GMAT for the first time and I got 570 (Q48,V21). This year I decided to retake and started practicing the verbal part. After 2 weeks of intensive studying I made the GMATPrep1 and got 550 (Q47,V20).
As I feel quite comfortable when I do verbal test only, I feel the problem is that on the actual exam I get pretty tired after the quant and half of the verbal, so during the second part of the verbal part I am no more able to concentrate even though the questions may seem easy. I've tried energy drinks, coffee and healthy eating as well, but anyway after half an hour my brain stops to accept the info in the wordy and complicated RC and CR. I am convinced only eliminating this attention deficit I will increase my verbal score significantly.

Has any of you had this problem as well? Please share tips on how to deal with this.

Thanks a lot
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 198

Kudos [?]: 279 [1] , given: 5

Re: Need an advice for the verbal part [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2014, 12:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Energy drinks can be helpful, but you really need to increase your mental stamina. My best advice here is to prepare for the GMAT like you would for a marathon. Marathon runners don't prepare by simply working on technique, running a couple practice marathons, and then running the marathon, but that is exactly how many GMAT test takers prepare for test day. Marathon runners prepare by running 5-10 miles every day with some 15-20 mile days sprinkled in.

I recommend that you prepare by working 20-30 minute timed sets every day (especially on verbal but potentially on quant too). On some days increase the length of the timed set to 45 minutes and maybe even some at 60 minutes. Do NOT take any mental breaks during these timed sets - treat them like a real "mini" GMAT. Take a few more practice exams so you can see how your stamina is improving. Daily training should help you to stay mentally awake for longer periods during the exam.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 5

Re: Need an advice for the verbal part [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 16:38
tatachalikyan wrote:
Hey Guys

Last year I took the GMAT for the first time and I got 570 (Q48,V21). This year I decided to retake and started practicing the verbal part. After 2 weeks of intensive studying I made the GMATPrep1 and got 550 (Q47,V20).
As I feel quite comfortable when I do verbal test only, I feel the problem is that on the actual exam I get pretty tired after the quant and half of the verbal, so during the second part of the verbal part I am no more able - am + able = redundant to concentrate even though the questions may seem easy. I've tried energy drinks, coffee and healthy eating as well - redundant, but anyway - redundant after half an hour my brain stops to accept the info in the wordy and complicated RC and CR [format or question types? - RC and CR are no appropriate. Is there one or several RC or CR]. I am convinced [that because convince needs an object and "only eliminating..." acts as a adjectival phrase modifying "I"] only eliminating this attention deficit I will increase my verbal score significantly.

Has any of you had this problem as well? Please share tips on how to deal with this.

Thanks a lot

Very respectfully speaking, perhaps you don't have memorized all the verbal components yet. Look at what you just wrote. Ask yourself: Is there anything redundant in what I just wrote? Are there any run-on sentences? Were the subordinate clauses clearly established? I myself went through a similar stage in that all my verbal scores stayed flat even though I thought I had the verbal section on lock-down. I took a hard look on how I communicated and read messages each day, thus revealing on how much I overlooked the simple grammatical mistakes, the same ones that GMAT embeds in each question. Take each verbal lesson to heart; apply it everyday; and perhaps your score can improve.

I hope this helps.

A little kudos never hurt anyone. :)

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Need an advice for the verbal part [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2014, 09:09
Dear Media401

Thank you very much for your advice, but you don't answer my question. When I do only the verbal section my score is on average 30/31, which is much higher than what I get when I do the entire exam. This gap is caused by lack of concentration when I get tired after 2/3 hours of the test. I already have a plan how to improve my verbal score, I needed an advice on how to improve my alertness during the exam.

Thank You
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT Date: 03-04-2014
GPA: 3.77
WE: Analyst (Retail Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 7

Re: Need an advice for the verbal part [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2014, 10:57
This post received
KUDOS
It may seem harsh, but I would recommend more practice. Push yourself; so you can increase your endurance, do as many CATs as you can, I know a friend who did 10 FULL CATs in the two weeks before his exam.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 198

Kudos [?]: 279 [1] , given: 5

Re: Need an advice for the verbal part [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2014, 12:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
In fairness to tatachalikyan, I think some of these posts are overly and unfairly harsh. Her (assuming tatachalikyan is a her based on the profile picture :) ) original post stated that her verbal abilities were good, but her experience on test day was negative and she didn't score at her ability level. She came asking for tips and advice and I think we can all reasonably assume that she would put forth the effort necessary to improve her performance based on the tips and advice she received.

Let's try to be respectful of all forum members, especially those who are brave enough to share their weaknesses with the group.

Best of luck tatachalikyan!

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Need an advice for the verbal part [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2014, 04:27
Dear KyleWiddison,

Thank you very much both for the tips and for the support.
The strategy you advised really works!!!
And yes, unfortunately some posts are a little discouraging rather than helpful.

Ciao
TC
Re: Need an advice for the verbal part   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2014, 04:27