Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Apr 2014, 11:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need an assessment, thanks!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.26
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Need an assessment, thanks! [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2012, 06:47
GMAT : 690 (Q49, V34)
GPA : 3.27 (UC Davis)
Passed all three CFA examinations, work experience verification pending

Work experience (4.5 years as of now)
I currently work at an asset management firm allocating capital to hedge funds. I manage two people and have had a good track record of performance here. In addition, I know my supervisor would give me a great rec. I worked at another Hedge Fund of Funds prior to here for 2 years before starting here 2 years ago. I intend to return to my current job after b-school but need certain technical skills/soft skills to move up the ladder and take myself to the next level.

Extra-curricular
On the board of a charity that helps suffering women (death of husband if primary bread-earner etc)
Speak 6 languages
Have been to 40 countries and have grown up in 4 including the US, Portugal, Singapore and India.

I'm thinking of focusing on Duke, Cornell and NYU. Thoughts? Should I expand? And if so, which ones?

Thanks!
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need an assessment, thanks! [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 13:49
Expert's post
Hello,

Thanks for the concise run-down. Let's break it down:

Academics: GMAT is pretty solid - not quite 700, but oh so close. GPA is not anything to write home abut, but I'd say it's in the average category. Overally, I'd say your academic profile is average. The CPA exams help, too, so I don't think you have anything else to 'prove' in this arena.

Professional: You've got a strong professional background. The fact that you manage two people is going to set you apart from your peers, as most people don't have formal management experience when entering an MBA program. If you've consistently been promoted then I think you're in a pretty good position here.

Community: it's great that you have a leadership position at this non-profit. Hopefully you'll have some good leadership stories to tell on this front.

Extracurricular: travel is great and I'm sure that your world experience will be a big part of your story. If you have any additional extracurriculars (e.g. dance, soccer, scuba diving, ...) that really define you, be sure to include those in your application as well.

All in all, I think your profile is average-strong. I think you've picked realistic target and safety programs, but that you could add another stretch school (University of Michigan) to your list and perhaps another target school (Darden).

Hope this helps!
Mili

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
http://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Current Student

Re: Need an assessment, thanks! [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 17:34
Thanks! That was great. Why is Michigan a stretch and Duke a target? Aren't they very close in the rankings and in acceptance rates? I would think that Darden would be a safety? Personally from what I've read if I had to pick just one school that would be fair value so to speak, it would be Cornell, agree? I can see how NYU can be stretch though.

I'm going take the GMAT again and say I hypothetically get a 720, would Wharton be worth a try? What about with a 690?

Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device Image

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need an assessment, thanks! [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 10:45
Expert's post
Hello,

Michigan and Duke have evened up this year in terms of rankings - that is true. Michigan actually has a higher acceptance rate. But they vary in terms of GMAT ranges -- Duke is 640 (25th percentile) - 740 (90th); whereas Michigan is 670-750. You definitely fall into the range on both, but with a 690 I think Duke is more realistic than Michigan. Darden is pretty similar to Duke in terms of competitiveness, so I'd still consider it a target with a 690 score.

With a 720, Wharton could be an option!

Not sure what you mean about fair value re: Cornell. Could you clarify?

Thanks,
Mili
Current Student

Re: Need an assessment, thanks! [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 19:28
Thanks for your response. Fair value as in - I have a 50/50 shot at Cornell. I feel like I should most likely get into Darden if I apply. I'll definitely try for a 720 when I take it again next month but given the tests variability, I may or may not achieve it. My practice tests range from 670-750.

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need an assessment, thanks! [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 16:47
Expert's post
Oh, I see. Yes, I think you've got a fair shot at Cornell and Darden as well. Best of luck!!

Mili