Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 16:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need an opinion

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Need an opinion [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2004, 08:13
Hello guys,

I would like to hear your opinion about my chances of being accepted to Chicago GSB or Kellog.
About myself.

-I'm Russian female. Live in USA from summer 2000.
Credentials:
-PhD in physics and mathematics.
-GPA 4.0, graduated with honor. A fellow of Russian acoustic society, have special awards for academic performance and for the best dissertation.
-My GMAT score is Q51, V21, total 600. I know that I can improve Verbal
Hope to get close to 700.
-Work experience: 8+ years research in multiphase flow (theoretical physics).
-Last couple years I was senior researcher: responsible for supervising subordinates, looking for funds and grands, and orginizing conferencies and presentations. Furthermore, I lectured some spec cources at Tumen State University in Russia.
-Last workplace: Northewestern University, department of engineering and applied mathematics.
-I have 18 scientific works published in well-known international magazines. Participated in International conferences.
-Proven leadership activities in student organizations etc

Thanks in advance.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2004, 10:42
Expert's post
Probably your two biggest challenges will be improving your GMAT score (which you already knew), and providig a convinvcing argument for why you want an MBA at tihs point in your career. Your profile is actually very similar to that of a friend of mine who failed to get into any of his target schools this past year (he also had a technical PhD and had about the same amount of work experience). I think his failure was in showing why now, after earning a PhD and doing so much work in a lab, he wanted to get into the business world.

Oh, a third point: You will also need to convince the adcomms that you will "fit in" at business school. Might sound a little silly, but remember that you will be surrounded by ex-bankers and consultants -- most of whom are in the 24-29 age range -- who have worked in the business world their whole careers. Your different perspective can be very valuable, but you will have to show that you "get" business concepts, and will be comfortable working with an all-business crowd. Taking some business classes before you apply may actually help on this front, but you want to show that you understand that business school is more than just accounting classes, etc., and that you're ready to immerse yourself in that world for two years.

Best,
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2004, 14:01
The most crucial missing piece of information is an explication of how an MBA is consistent with your goals and interests. Is there anything that ties your previous work together with an interest in management? Why do you feel an MBA would serve your interests?

Have you taken any MBA coursework?

Hjort