Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [1]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [1]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Re: Need Application Advice [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
FrootLoops wrote:
Hi guys,

Hi FrootLoops, thanks for asking question and you certainly have some good advice already from prior responses. What strikes me is that you don't really state here what your post MBA goals are - and that's probably the most important thing to clarify. You also want to ask yourself some introspective questions that don't really have a right or wrong answer- but are important to knowing yourself and finding an environment where you will best thrive.

So for starters- ask yourself some of these questions:

What do you value most? brand name of school? Small or large class size? Urban or rural campus? Specialty focus like Healthcare? Strong brand in Canada? Is there a firm you target post MBA as you can look at the placement reports at all these schools to see who are key recruiters for school and that might help you narrow down as well.

Then it will be easier to see if there are a few other schools you might want to consider. Your GMAT as it stands is not necessarily a slam dunk for the schools you mention- but nor is it a deal breaker.
What is it about Kellogg and NYU and Columbia and Wharton and Stanford that you see in common that you picked this group?

And I agree that you should certainly be on the mailing list for all these schools so you will know when their upcoming admissions events will be held- many are also online so you don't necessarily have to travel all these places yet- but you can narrow down from asking the questions that matter most to you. And most schools will let you contact students if you go to the student life page of the websites. From what you list right now, it sounds like you still have a bit of introspection to do! And that may be one of the best reasons to use a consultant is that for some people they just prefer to go through a structured and guided exercise to help uncover more about yourself- because the more you know about when you come most alive in the world, the more you will be able to portray that in the MBA admissions process. You appear to be targeting top tier schools so be prepared to compete against the best-- and that means really doing your homework on not just WHY MBA but also WHY THIS PROGRAM! If you want more formal help on this, we'd be glad for you to do a free consult with us at StratusPrep.com. Best wishes as you proceed and welcome to GMATClub!

First time posting. 3 Questions:

1) Should I rewrite my GMAT? (interested in Kellogg, NYU, Stanford, Columbia, Wharton)
2) Possible recommendations for which schools I would be a good candidate?
3) Naive question but how does one go about talking to target uni's about what they are looking for? (I've seen many people comment about speaking to target unis beforehand)

Basic Stats:
Canadian
GMAT 710 Q44, V42, AWA 6, IR 6 (Self-studied for a month but score was not much higher than GMAT Prep 1 score taken cold turkey..no studying whatsoever)
GPA 3.85 in life sciences at a well ranked Canadian Uni
Mid Twenties - most of my experience is within a small family business, some internships that span healthcare/business

Thanks for your help in advance!

Also, I am a complete newbie to MBA admissions process and any advice on successfully applying to cycle 1 this year is well appreciated!
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
@FruitLoops, if you only studied for the GMAT for a month, I think you'd be leaving money on the table if you didn't retake.

And I mean that literally, you would be able to get into a higher ranked school and a higher ranked salary with a higher GMAT. It would also position you to snag some Merit Scholarships. So I would put forth the effort to make sure you achieve your potential in that area.

We definitely need more information about your objective for getting an MBA. I strongly recommend you have that sorted before choosing schools or preparing your apps. It might make sense to work with a career coach.

With regards to talking uni's, you can do this a variety of ways. There are a lot of online chat opportunities, and also large, multi school events such as the MBA Tour.

In person is ideal if your time and budget will allow. A lot of schools let you schedule coffee dates with current students located across the globe during the summer time. In July at Darden, visitors can actually meet with the admissions committee, which gives them a good sense that you're truly interested. They want to know that if they pick you you will pick them back.

I'd recommend that you check out and schedule attending MBA admissions events for each of the schools you're targeting.

Please PM me if you would like to talk further!

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Tutor MBAPrepCoach.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Wharton '16
Send PM
Kudos
1) Should I rewrite my GMAT? (interested in Kellogg, NYU, Stanford, Columbia, Wharton)
Yes, definitely. Although it's not a bad score, you can definitely have a better one.

2) Possible recommendations for which schools I would be a good candidate?
Same as others recommend you... hard to give any advice, because it depends on your story, your fit with the bschool's culture.

3) Naive question but how does one go about talking to target uni's about what they are looking for? (I've seen many people comment about speaking to target unis beforehand)
Mostly with Alumni. Websites are very bland in defining the culture.

Best,
GMAT Club Bot