Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 07:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need assistance over GMAT maths and verbal time strategies

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Need assistance over GMAT maths and verbal time strategies [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 06:52
Hi,
I am have been preparing for GMAT from last 1month and book date as 25 May ( i.e. before new look of GMAT ).
i took GMAT prep today and screwed up with time management.

For Quant,
I was able to solve 31 out 37 question in time , rest were just marked without reading in last 30seconds.
For Verbal,
I was able to solve 24 question in time , rest were just marked without reading in last 1minute.

Can anyone please help/guide me how to cope with it as only 40odd days to for D day.

Thanks.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 388 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Need assistance over GMAT maths and verbal time strategies [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 07:02
Timing is a very important aspect of the GMAT. Saying "I can solve X problems but then rush through Y in the last minute" means you timing issues, both on individual problems and average time problems.

See our timing strategy thread for more info:
timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-80176.html

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Need assistance over GMAT maths and verbal time strategies [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 09:41
Thanks ...but i am still not convinced ...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V36
GPA: 3.79
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Need assistance over GMAT maths and verbal time strategies [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 10:23
You've got to develop an internal sense of time. The good thing is that you've got time to do that before the test.

Start doing practice problems with a stopwatch next to you, and record the time it takes you to work through a problem so you can visualize how long it actually is.

Then, as you study and become more adept at manipulating problems and learning more material, start pushing yourself to find the solution by 2 minutes, or 3 at the maximum. Stick to this strategy and guess if you find yourself going over 3 minutes - I struggled with this quite often - I would spend 7 minutes on a problem I would eventually get wrong, leaving me no time for problems that I could get right.

You've just got to learn to sacrafice a few problems in order to put yourself in a better position for the test overall. Time monitoring must be ingrained in your head by test day.
Re: Need assistance over GMAT maths and verbal time strategies   [#permalink] 16 Apr 2012, 10:23