Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 05:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need Career Advice..Please!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Need Career Advice..Please! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 12:43
A little about myself:

-Undergrad in Accounting, minor in finance 3.5GPA (CUNY)
-1.5yrs work experience: Fortune 500 rotational program, currently working in an accounting research department
-Studying for the GMAT

Here is my dilemma:

I know I do not want to work in accounting for the rest of my career. I like it and think it is a good background to have, but I know I would eventually like to move into a finance role. I am still a little confused about where in finance I would like to go.. Some sections within my company that currently interest me are strategy, forecasting, and treasury. I’m trying to figure out what should be the next move in my career. I think about this a lot and always flip flop on scenarios.

Some options I’ve considered

1)Stay in this position for now (required to stay a year and a half; at least!), gain experience, and try to transfer to one of the finance departments (hope a good positions opens). Do this while applying for b school and getting my MBA part-time (company sponsored).

2)Stay in this position for the rest of the year and apply for outside finance positions (end of this year early next year) in areas of interest. Do this while applying for b school and getting my MBA part-time.

3)Take the CPA, go into public accounting for two years (earn my cpa). Hope for good exit options in finance, Apply for b school. Is the CPA beneficial enough to take this route?

I am definitely taking the GMAT this year. I haven’t ruled out full time b school. I just have to see how I score first. Also, I know I don’t want to work in this company for the rest of my career. I think I would only stay another 3-4 yrs max if I had to..

Please offer me any advice or suggestions. Thanks in advance. This site is the best!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 5

Re: Need Career Advice..Please! [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 13:08
i'd try to stick to it, get the gmat done, and get into an mba by the end of your rotational program.

or finish up your program, get another job elsewhere that's more along the line of your interests, take the gmat, and then try to do an mba, which should give you a stronger set of work experiences.

once you step on that accounting track, it'll be hard to get off and switch laterally into banking or consulting. so you'll probably need to just stick to it for now and try to switch careers post mba. that means you should do everything you can to prepare your profile right now for the best possible mba program for you.

Oxford Round 1 - interview invite 10/30/09, admit 12/11/09, ATTENDING 2010

My Road to Oxford and INSEAD http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-road-to-oxford-sbs-and-insead-89413.html#p676253

Re: Need Career Advice..Please!   [#permalink] 19 Jan 2010, 13:08