Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Social Media / Marketing
Schools:Dalhousie School of Business (Corporate Residency MBA)
 Q47  V42
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Need consensus Here are few CR questions and i am looking [#permalink]
dalmba wrote:
nilabjaball wrote:
which of the following would least weaken the above argument?

Least weaken is an interesting curve ball! I didn't notice it at first. I'd be cautious to not confuse this with trying to find the argument that 'most strengthens' because they all might weaken the argument. Anyway, the passage has a lot of preamble but the argument comes down to: Past marriages were better than current marriages, based on the rate of divorce. Let's take a look:

a. life in modern society places more challenges to marriages than did life in previous societies
This suggests the cause for divorce is not only related to the quality of the marriage but on the culture at the time. This DOES weaken the argument... it does a decent job at it too.

b. divorce was more socially objectionable in past societies
This suggests the reason for the divorce discrepancy was again a cultural thing. This weakening argument is equally as powerful as A, IMO.

c. most modern couples seek counseling before considering divorce
Doesn't say anything about past marriages... so this has no bearing on the argument. Currently, this is the TOP CHOICE because its "weakening power" is zero.

d. the quality of modern marriages is only slightly better than that associated with marriages of generations past
This directly contradicts the argument. Very strongly weakens.

e. while a majority of marriages in past generations stayed intact, discreet extramarital affairs were more common than they are in contemporary society.
This is suggesting that divorce is a poor measure of "quality" and is weakening the argument to some degree by undermining its assumption.

This was a weird one. I think I went through it properly but am curious to see the OA!

dalmba You nailed it man
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3224 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
agree with C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
seekmba wrote:
agree with C.

I see this pattern -
a = b
c = d

so a is better c. But what if a and c are totally different. Can you compare them?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
a. life in modern society places more challenges to marriages than did life in previous societies >>> Answer
b. divorce was more socially objectionable in past societies >> so what?? Nothing
c. most modern couples seek counseling before considering divorce >> So what?? Do they end up divorcing??
d. the quality of modern marriages is only slightly better than that associated with marriages of generations past >> Strengthens the arg
e. while a majority of marriages in past generations stayed intact, discreet extramarital affairs were more common than they are in contemporary society. >> >> Strengthens the arg

IMO : A >>which says that we have a different situation in modern society.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts