Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Nov 2014, 11:35

Happy Thanksgiving:

Free Access to GMAT Club Tests until 11 AM PST on Fri 10/28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

need expert help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

need expert help [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 11:57
Hi i just appear gmat and got the score only 460 quant 35 and verbal 18. I need 520 and i have to appear within 6 weeks again for fall session. Do you think its possible to improve within this time? I'm not a native speaker, verbal is very tough for me. What to do?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 2

Re: need expert help [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2012, 09:50
Expert's post
Hi Suraiyaa,

60 points of improvement in 6 weeks is definitely a possible goal. As with everything GMAT related, there are no guarantees, but a Kaplan course usually lasts 6 weeks and I've seen improvements of 100 points or more in that time!

But a lot depends on what you are doing. You can't just do problems and hope to get better. You need to have a study guide with strategies and methods, and you need to make sure you are actually using those methods when you take your practice tests. Can you give me a sense of what resources you have access to and what study you have already done? That will make it much easier for me to make more concrete recommendations.

Good luck studying!

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1186

Kudos [?]: 5652 [0], given: 167

Re: need expert help [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2012, 21:02
Expert's post
suraiyaa wrote:
Hi i just appear gmat and got the score only 460 quant 35 and verbal 18. I need 520 and i have to appear within 6 weeks again for fall session. Do you think its possible to improve within this time? I'm not a native speaker, verbal is very tough for me. What to do?

It is not hard to improve your score from 460 to 520 in 6 weeks but you will need to put in a good amount of effort. You need to ensure that you are around 550 - 600 so that even if nerves take your score down on the fateful day, you are able to manage a 520.

There are many different ways you can approach your study plan. It depends on how you study best.

1. If self study works best for you, get a complete set of study material. You will need to put in a decent bit of effort to go through the books in 6 weeks but you might want to skip topics you are fine with and topics that have relatively less weightage e.g. Permutation Combination. Go through the basics properly and practice end of theory practice questions. With that itself you should see some improvement.

2. You can take an online course or in-class course. Some of these courses (e.g. Veritas full courses and 1 week accelerated course) provide a guarantee of score improvement (full money back if your score doesn't improve). You can check one of those out. An expert takes you through the material which makes the learning process easier and faster. Of course, be prepared to work hard on your homework since time is short. You cannot lag behind.

3. You can opt for private tutoring. A lot of ground can be covered fairly quickly in a one-on-one session. The tutor will make your study plan according to your requirement and all you have to do is follow it (which itself is a big task!). This arrangement is expensive but people with time constraints find it quite beneficial.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: need expert help [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2012, 19:26
Thanks Eli Meyer and krishma for your reply. I have all the Manhattan Gmat books. Last time i studied those books but that time i took time for preparation 1.5 months only and i think i went pretty fast to finish everything. This time when I’m studying i found last time i missed a lot of things. Weekly now i can study 20 hours on average. One thing more when i solve a problem e.g. SC or CR, i do solve one then check whether its correct or not then move another one. Do you think i should solve 15 problems at a time then check all the answers?RC is very difficult for me sometimes i even don't understand the whole passage, what to do? For quant kind of ok, i solved only general part one, should I study on advance part too?
Re: need expert help   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2012, 19:26