Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 10:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

NEED feedback and support after taking 1st GMATPREP

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 430 Q26 V23
GPA: 3.34
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

NEED feedback and support after taking 1st GMATPREP [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 17:56
Hello guys, thank you so much for your support. I never imagined that I could get so much support from you guys most especially from Mahtab, DevilDoggNC and gmatkoopa. I look forward to more support. I am based in Ghana, off the coast of West Africa.Beautiful Country.

Well, Mahtab with reference to your advice, I took the GMATPrep test about an hour ago and scored miserable 410(Q20,V26). I guess it is a true reflection of my performance level/ability on the real test 430(V23,Q26). After a careful review of both sections, these are the areas that I think I am weak at:

QUANTITATIVE:
Roots/Powers, Arithmetic Sequence, Conversions, Geometry,Probability,Business Maths,Distance Problems, equation of a line, coordinate goemetry.
I scored on most of the Data Sufficiency questions, however I cant tell of their level of difficulty.

VERBAL:
On the verbal section, I think the major problem was RC(found it very difficult to understand two passages) and CR( found complete the sentence,....."except" assumption questions challenging. SC is not so much of a problem for me( need help with modifiers).

Once again, I called on you guys to come to my rescue by advising me on the way forward.Like DevilDoggNC advised I would like to progressively increase my scores from the current low of 430 to about 650 then subsequently join the 700 club. The challenge for me is whether I can make it within two and a half months.

I am at your mercy guys, Thank you
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 26

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: NEED feedback and support after taking 1st GMATPREP [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 19:00
lordzilla wrote:
Hello guys, thank you so much for your support. I never imagined that I could get so much support from you guys most especially from Mahtab, DevilDoggNC and gmatkoopa. I look forward to more support. I am based in Ghana, off the coast of West Africa.Beautiful Country.

Well, Mahtab with reference to your advice, I took the GMATPrep test about an hour ago and scored miserable 410(Q20,V26). I guess it is a true reflection of my performance level/ability on the real test 430(V23,Q26). After a careful review of both sections, these are the areas that I think I am weak at:

QUANTITATIVE:
Roots/Powers, Arithmetic Sequence, Conversions, Geometry,Probability,Business Maths,Distance Problems, equation of a line, coordinate goemetry.
I scored on most of the Data Sufficiency questions, however I cant tell of their level of difficulty.

VERBAL:
On the verbal section, I think the major problem was RC(found it very difficult to understand two passages) and CR( found complete the sentence,....."except" assumption questions challenging. SC is not so much of a problem for me( need help with modifiers).

Once again, I called on you guys to come to my rescue by advising me on the way forward.Like DevilDoggNC advised I would like to progressively increase my scores from the current low of 430 to about 650 then subsequently join the 700 club. The challenge for me is whether I can make it within two and a half months.

I am at your mercy guys, Thank you

I too had the same score when I had started. What prep material have you used till date?

GMAT done - a mediocre score but I still have a lot of grit in me

The last 20 days of my GMAT journey

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 222 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: NEED feedback and support after taking 1st GMATPREP [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 04:11
akhileshgupta05 wrote:

I too had the same score when I had started. What prep material have you used till date?

I started with 470 or 510 ish but I understand where you are coming from!

Have you gotten the MGMAT Guides? I think you need to cover the fundamentals first and move on to practicing questions. So why don't you start off with MGMAT Guide 1: Number Properties?

Also, mix up your study schedule. Don't just do math for one week and verbal for another week. I think its best to focus on Quant one or two days and mix it up by focusing on CR and RC.

When I started my prep about two months ago, I had big issues with RC and CR (especially CR) but after going through Powerscore CR Bible, my accuracy rate is at around 85% from 40%. As for RC, I have recently been doing well...moved from around 40% accuracy to around 70-80% accuracy.

My reading pace is fairly moderate (could go through a short passage in around 2:30 mins) but the biggest problem I had was that I was too keen on understanding the whole passage by reading each and every word. However, GMAT RC passages are very structured and there are certain strategies I had grasped from this link: verbal-rc-help-30247.html to better my accuracy rate. I was so focused on understanding the whole passage that by the end of my reading session, I had forgotten most of the information! Thats why I pay close attention to the beginning of the paragraphs (read slowly) and then read very quickly through the paragraphs and caution myself from words like 'but', 'however', 'Nevertheless'...These words take the story in a different direction and gmat can screw you in on that!

If you need further help, let us know but for now this will keep you busy for a while!

Remember to KEEP AN ERROR LOG. It's very important that you keep track of your mistakes.

Powerscore CR Bible Full Chapter Notes | Easily Extend Vocabulary List with Google Dictionary

Please kudo me if you found my post useful. Thanks!!! :)

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 430 Q26 V23
GPA: 3.34
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Re: NEED feedback and support after taking 1st GMATPREP [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 12:32
Hi akhileshgupta05, I think you are on track with the scores that you have. Keep it up and I am sure you will be the newest 700 club member. Well I have been using MGMAT Guides and OG 12. Do you want to recommend any other resources?

Mahtab, thank you once again for your inputs. I have the MGMAT guides so I will start as soon as possible with the Number Properties. I will keep you posted on my progress. Will also make sure I dont focus so much on one area as you said. I will make sure to balance ny study of both areas.

Do you have any ideas on where to get practice questions on specific concepts within Quant and verbal? For instance practice questiins on Roots/Powers etc etc. I think that after grasping the concepts, I need to practice a lot to be close to perfect. I believe in PRACTICE.

How do you use an error log and at what stage do you have to start using one?

Thank you and hope to hear from you soon. I am beginning to feel confident again. Thanks to you guys. Almost gave up. ONE LOVE
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: NEED feedback and support after taking 1st GMATPREP [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 03:01
nice post
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: NEED feedback and support after taking 1st GMATPREP [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 00:59
I am sailing on the same boat. scored a 510 in my first GMAT. :( :(

Quant is my weak area.. or rather i am a big dud at quant. verbal - sc and cr are my weak areas. But at least i understand verbal. Quant is sometimes just too difficult for me to comprehend.

As for the errors log, I just started using it, i think it is best to use one from the very beginning of practice as it helps us identify our weak areas.

On a positive note, u will find loads of material here and loads of people willing to help you.

All the best.. Hope we fare well the next time around.

Regards,
Asher

BSchool Thread Master
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 123

GMAT Tests User
Re: NEED feedback and support after taking 1st GMATPREP [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 11:01
The good news with getting a 400ish score is that you have nowhere to go but up.

If you only recently began, my advice to you is to work on the basics all the way up. Manhattan GMAT is the way to go. That is the most important choice you need to make right now.

Oh and if you have trouble finding MGMAT in your area, you can find them in the internet, if you know what i mean :)
Re: NEED feedback and support after taking 1st GMATPREP   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2011, 11:01