Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Nov 2014, 20:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need Guidance

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 67
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Need Guidance [#permalink] New post 03 May 2009, 10:19
Hi,

I have been working on SC for quite a long time, and quite comfortable with most of the rules that are tested. When it comes to application while taking test, I do not seem to perform well. Over all verbal is not improving ( except CR) as it should be. I scored 600 on gmatprep- Q 50 and Verbal 21. I think even while taking test I do not feel confident on verbal section. When I come to verbal section somehow I loose my focus, and after a while I start feeling that I am not performing well, and it deteriorarte the situation further.

If I do not have time pressure or when I am not taking test I see 85% as tick rate. I think I lack confidence on Verbal, and somehow not able to give my best. I am taking Gmat on 18th May,and don't want to postpone it.

After taking test, I do not feel very +ve..... It would be great if you can suggest something that I can implement to improve my score in verbal.

Thanks...
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2009
Posts: 47
Schools: Marshall '11
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

Re: Need Guidance [#permalink] New post 03 May 2009, 21:59
Are you a native speaker? If not, you need to surround yourself w/English everyday. Try to read WSJ, NYT, the Economist everyday. These publications use words and sentence structures that are similar to GMAT. It'll get you into that mind frame of thinking like GMAT people. You only need to take 1 hr everyday, 30 minutes if you don't have time, reading online. And it's free. Your RC will improve greatly after this. I didn't even study the verbal section my second time and my verbal went up A LOT, which I attribute to my reading everyday.

Do you keep an error log? if not, you need to start one asap. Do a practice test, and check the error log to see if there're concepts you consistently miss. Concentrate on those.

On SC, break down the components of a long sentence and simplify the sentence into its most basic form. I found that helped me in eliminating wrong choices.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12459
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2381

Kudos [?]: 9995 [0], given: 3763

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Need Guidance [#permalink] New post 03 May 2009, 22:16
Expert's post
What books have used to study SC?
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 67
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Need Guidance [#permalink] New post 04 May 2009, 00:26
I read MLIC notes, and I found them quite comprehensive. I have also gone through Manahattan SC. I have also created the error log. So far what I have observed that during test, I forget to apply the SC rules or I do not apply them properly because of time pressure. I think main issue could be that I can not make the right picture of sentence in first reading and that leads to inability to analyse the sentence further. But if time permits I can read the same sentence again and again and can analyse the issue better. I find it hard to apply the rules mechanically.

I am not a native speaker. In addition, I did my studies in non english medium until 12th standard. I feel quite OK with quant as I can grasp information as I read the question ( by jotting key information). But when it comes to verbal, I find it difficult. I do not feel very confident about verbal, and when I come to something that I find little hard, I get a message that I am not doing it properly, or I can not do it with in stipulated time. As advised, I will start dedicating my time on WSJ and other suggested material to remove this -ve feeling.

I guess in my case solution is to gain the faith that I can perform well in verbal also, and few scenario that give boost to to this thinking.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12459
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2381

Kudos [?]: 9995 [0], given: 3763

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Need Guidance [#permalink] New post 04 May 2009, 08:35
Expert's post
asthanap wrote:
I read MLIC notes, and I found them quite comprehensive. I have also gone through Manahattan SC. I have also created the error log. So far what I have observed that during test, I forget to apply the SC rules or I do not apply them properly because of time pressure. I think main issue could be that I can not make the right picture of sentence in first reading and that leads to inability to analyse the sentence further. But if time permits I can read the same sentence again and again and can analyse the issue better. I find it hard to apply the rules mechanically.

I am not a native speaker. In addition, I did my studies in non english medium until 12th standard. I feel quite OK with quant as I can grasp information as I read the question ( by jotting key information). But when it comes to verbal, I find it difficult. I do not feel very confident about verbal, and when I come to something that I find little hard, I get a message that I am not doing it properly, or I can not do it with in stipulated time. As advised, I will start dedicating my time on WSJ and other suggested material to remove this -ve feeling.

I guess in my case solution is to gain the faith that I can perform well in verbal also, and few scenario that give boost to to this thinking.



I think the most optimal approach would be spending a month or two reading English book 2-3 hours/day (see GMAT Fiction). I am a huge fan of WSJ but not a huge fan of the format - it is hard to get a couple hours of reading from the articles - it is very choppy. Would rather recommend a book that may use the same vocabulary over and over again, which helps a lot with memorization. Books also tend to have a more formal approach to grammar. Books are also fun in general as you have a longer story with a plot that can usually capture your attention.

Then try taking one or two full length tests and report back with your results.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 67
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Need Guidance [#permalink] New post 05 May 2009, 01:15
Thanks BB. I will start reading on of these books.
Thanks.

bb wrote:
asthanap wrote:
I read MLIC notes, and I found them quite comprehensive. I have also gone through Manahattan SC. I have also created the error log. So far what I have observed that during test, I forget to apply the SC rules or I do not apply them properly because of time pressure. I think main issue could be that I can not make the right picture of sentence in first reading and that leads to inability to analyse the sentence further. But if time permits I can read the same sentence again and again and can analyse the issue better. I find it hard to apply the rules mechanically.

I am not a native speaker. In addition, I did my studies in non english medium until 12th standard. I feel quite OK with quant as I can grasp information as I read the question ( by jotting key information). But when it comes to verbal, I find it difficult. I do not feel very confident about verbal, and when I come to something that I find little hard, I get a message that I am not doing it properly, or I can not do it with in stipulated time. As advised, I will start dedicating my time on WSJ and other suggested material to remove this -ve feeling.

I guess in my case solution is to gain the faith that I can perform well in verbal also, and few scenario that give boost to to this thinking.



I think the most optimal approach would be spending a month or two reading English book 2-3 hours/day (see GMAT Fiction). I am a huge fan of WSJ but not a huge fan of the format - it is hard to get a couple hours of reading from the articles - it is very choppy. Would rather recommend a book that may use the same vocabulary over and over again, which helps a lot with memorization. Books also tend to have a more formal approach to grammar. Books are also fun in general as you have a longer story with a plot that can usually capture your attention.

Then try taking one or two full length tests and report back with your results.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 28
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Need Guidance [#permalink] New post 05 May 2009, 05:07
Hi, I was also facing a similar problem sometime back. Only way I will suggest is to practise more and more verbal questions which will increase your confidence. Success never comes easier, you have to put in effort for it.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 67
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Need Guidance [#permalink] New post 09 May 2009, 02:51
Thanks, I echo your thoughts, and if something is not happening properly, definetly something is missing.

mankhu8 wrote:
Hi, I was also facing a similar problem sometime back. Only way I will suggest is to practise more and more verbal questions which will increase your confidence. Success never comes easier, you have to put in effort for it.
Re: Need Guidance   [#permalink] 09 May 2009, 02:51
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 need guidance zzxxdd 4 14 Sep 2009, 17:27
Need guidance spriya 2 31 Aug 2008, 09:46
Need guidance spriya 5 20 Jul 2008, 16:26
Guidance needed sulabh 0 06 Jul 2008, 22:25
Experts publish their posts in the topic Need guidance... PSG 1 28 Sep 2005, 09:34
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Need Guidance

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.