Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 14:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

need guidance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

need guidance [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 17:27
hi all,
am new here but hav been following the forum for a few days now. i have decided to apply to b-schools and plan to take the gmat at the end of oct or november- depending on the prep. i have been over the princeton review and did a few qs from the OG 11 ed but to me seems that i am unable to get the grip of how actually to target the questions.

i did the OG diagnostic test and sadly got every thing in the average range, but i know i can pull up my math as there were a lot of concepts that i hadnt touched on since some time. it is the verbal which is the issue. after reading the reviews here i have also ordered the mgmat complete prep material but would like to take some guidance as to how to go about it given the time frame. is there a checklist that i should hav in mind when i am attemptin the questions? wat do i do :(

thanks

p.s. i am also aiming to get a score of 700+. mite sound ambitious but i believe it is achievable if one can put in the effort which i am willing too...
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: need guidance [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2009, 06:20
Hello zzxxdd,

Welcome to GMATClub.

We usually advise people take a diagnostic CAT test and base his/her study plan on that. You can see all the various tests here:
all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html

Since you bought the MGMAT books, you'll have access to six practice tests from MGMAT. I would advise using one of those six as your first diagnostic as the feedback from MGMAT is very useful. The MGMAT group provides the following on practice test:

MGMAT Approach
Solution
MGMAT rated difficulty (600, 700, etc)
Question type (RC, CR, Geo, Number Properties, etc.)

Also, take up the habit of using an error log and the timer tool provided by Walker:

Timer tool:
gmat-timer-56014.html

Error log thread:
all-about-the-error-log-11754.html

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: need guidance [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2009, 08:18
hey thanx for the reply.
i think i will take the princeton test till the time the mgmat books arrive. but honestly i dont think i hav picked up much from the princeton review it seems the focus is more on eliminating choices rather how actually to identify the kind of questions that one see on how to go abt solving those specific qs.

anyways i will keep posting the progress

thanx again!
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 411 [1] , given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: need guidance [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2009, 10:10
This post received
KUDOS
zzxxdd wrote:
hey thanx for the reply.
i think i will take the princeton test till the time the mgmat books arrive. but honestly i dont think i hav picked up much from the princeton review it seems the focus is more on eliminating choices rather how actually to identify the kind of questions that one see on how to go abt solving those specific qs.

anyways i will keep posting the progress

thanx again!

I am a big proponet of learning content first, and then strategies second. If you have shaky grounding in content, strategies will not help you much.

Check debriefs in the Share you GMAT experience forum to read what people used to overcome his/her respective content deficiency. We have a strategy thread going where people are discussion strategies (see my sig for links).

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: need guidance [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2009, 17:07
thanks mo! i agree with you about learning the content frst that is y i didnt like princeton.
shall definitly chk out the respective posts...thanks a bunch!!!
Re: need guidance   [#permalink] 15 Sep 2009, 17:07