Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 18:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need guidance and direction

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Need guidance and direction [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 14:51
Hello,

I've been a lurker, but finally started to get involved in the forums and would like to ask for your guidance. Here's my story. I came across the website August of 2011 which was the beginning of my GMAT studies. My goal was, and still is, to attain acceptance into a MS Accounting program which requires a minimum score of 520. My goal is to score between 550 - 600 to balance out my sub-par gpa in the application.

Initially I believed this was a fairly easy test and prepared for 2 weeks and took the exam in September. My first mistake. So after realizing the difficulty of the test, I purchased the Manhattan GMAT Set of 8 books, fundamentals of math (MGMAT), OG 12, Quant Review, and Verbal Review and studied for 2 months, roughly 8 hours a week, skimming through all of the books and took the test in November. Mistake number 2. At this time I decided to push the GMAT studies aside and focus on work. During the summer I studied for the IRS Enrolled Agent tax exam which is a rigorous 3 part exam and passed all 3 exams on my first attempt. This boosted my confidence and I attempted to study for the GMAT once more, but this time seriously giving it my all and committing my time and energy. I studied for 3 months reading and absorbing every page of the GMAT books, completing and fully understanding over 200 OG questions in Quant and 100 in verbal, and completing 3 practice exams (MGMAT) with scores of 520, 550, and 580.

I was extremely confident that I would attain a score of at least 520 on the real test which was yesterday, but I ended up performing worse than my first 2 GMAT attempts. I am quite shocked and confused. Majority of the questions on the GMAT seemed foreign to me even the ones that were elementary. I seriously could not figure out how to approach and solve the problems. I would say only 10 problems in the quant. section was from the material I studied from the MGMAT books. I seriously thought I was taking a different exam because the questions were not similar to the questions last year when I took the exam.

I will be attempting this exam for the 4th time this coming spring and I need to take a different approach. I am not someone who is looking to score a 700. Just a simple guy who would like an average score to attend graduate school in accounting. What would you guys recommend I do to crack a 520?

I've been considering a prep course, but I've read that it is overpriced and not all too helpful.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 75 [1] , given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need guidance and direction [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 19:15
This post received
KUDOS
I suggest you take the studies a bit more seriously, and start from the bottom up. I would recommend the fundamental book for QUANT (the GMAT CLUB book) and the Grammar book for the verbal (GMAT Grammar book). Take a bit of time to go over them, before hitting the MGMAT strategy guides again. With the fundamental books coupled with the MGMAT books (and the associated OG problems that the MGMAT books have at the end ) you should be fine. If you are still having some trouble you may wish to take a specialized online class on a specific verbal topic (EGMAT for example).

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 685 [1] , given: 116

Premium Member
Re: Need guidance and direction [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 20:25
This post received
KUDOS
dsuh wrote:
Hello,

I've been a lurker, but finally started to get involved in the forums and would like to ask for your guidance. Here's my story. I came across the website August of 2011 which was the beginning of my GMAT studies. My goal was, and still is, to attain acceptance into a MS Accounting program which requires a minimum score of 520. My goal is to score between 550 - 600 to balance out my sub-par gpa in the application.

Initially I believed this was a fairly easy test and prepared for 2 weeks and took the exam in September. My first mistake. So after realizing the difficulty of the test, I purchased the Manhattan GMAT Set of 8 books, fundamentals of math (MGMAT), OG 12, Quant Review, and Verbal Review and studied for 2 months, roughly 8 hours a week, skimming through all of the books and took the test in November. Mistake number 2. At this time I decided to push the GMAT studies aside and focus on work. During the summer I studied for the IRS Enrolled Agent tax exam which is a rigorous 3 part exam and passed all 3 exams on my first attempt. This boosted my confidence and I attempted to study for the GMAT once more, but this time seriously giving it my all and committing my time and energy. I studied for 3 months reading and absorbing every page of the GMAT books, completing and fully understanding over 200 OG questions in Quant and 100 in verbal, and completing 3 practice exams (MGMAT) with scores of 520, 550, and 580.

I was extremely confident that I would attain a score of at least 520 on the real test which was yesterday, but I ended up performing worse than my first 2 GMAT attempts. I am quite shocked and confused. Majority of the questions on the GMAT seemed foreign to me even the ones that were elementary. I seriously could not figure out how to approach and solve the problems. I would say only 10 problems in the quant. section was from the material I studied from the MGMAT books. I seriously thought I was taking a different exam because the questions were not similar to the questions last year when I took the exam.

I will be attempting this exam for the 4th time this coming spring and I need to take a different approach. I am not someone who is looking to score a 700. Just a simple guy who would like an average score to attend graduate school in accounting. What would you guys recommend I do to crack a 520?

I've been considering a prep course, but I've read that it is overpriced and not all too helpful.

IMHO... You are setting your sights too low... Just the problems alone on your MGMAT book would not help... I would really recommend the GMATCLUB CAT tests which I found really useful. I beleive that the CATs are free for members for a certain period as of now and you can take advantage of that.. I can assure you with full confidence that you wont be seeing even one of the questions that appear on it on the actual GMAT but the questions will still fall in the same category. Practice helps in getting used to the GMAT type problems. It helps you to recognize the pattern and the finding the route to a solution as soon as you see the question...

eg: When you see a number such as 74529 in the question, it looks completely arbitrary. As you get used to the question types, you would realize that on factorisation of this number, we can find that it is a square number and this fact can somehow be used in the question.

So, I would suggest lots of practice and all the best for your GMAT and applications.

Kudos Please... If my post helped.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Re: Need guidance and direction   [#permalink] 16 Nov 2012, 20:25