Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:35 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.89
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Need guidance with preparation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
gmat2015DM wrote:
I assume there will be minimal differences in the two and both should be 13th edition or 2016 may be the 14th edition?
The OG2016 does have new questions. Unfortunately, there was no 14th edition (13th -> 2015 -> 2016) :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Need guidance with preparation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi gmat2015DM,

Study plans that are built around an 'all Quant, then all Verbal' approach tend to be less effective than 'mixing' categories throughout the course of your studies. This is meant to say that switching your studies to focus more on Verbal (while still getting in some Quant work) would probably be a good idea.

Since you've been studying for a month, have you taken any FULL-LENGTH CATs (including the Essay and IR sections)? If you have, then how did you score? If you have not, then you should plan to take one soon (maybe this weekend). That initial score is important as it helps to define your current strengths and weaknesses and provides a basis for comparison as you continue to study.

With an April Test Date, you still have plenty of time to study. We need to know that you're focused on the proper materials/Tactics/etc. though, so we need that CAT score for reference.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13376 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmat2015DM wrote:
Hello clubbers,

I need some quick suggestions as to what should be my next course of action.
I started preparation for GMAT at the start of January and focused on Quant with MGMAT strategy guides. I completed 4 guides smoothly, while with the Word Translation Guide, I got stuck at probability and combinations (my uncomfortable areas). I think its the lack of interest or may be I drained myself in last one month with regular 2-3 hour study each work day and long hours on weekends with hectic work schedule, that I am losing interest and motivation in between to continue further.
I had initial plan to start Verbal by 7th Feb which is this Saturday by completing Quant guides which is all but one left.

Do you suggest I start Verbal and take an intermediate break with Quant for 1 week and then pick it up alongside, or somehow make myself complete Quant first before diving in Verbal.

I am a first time test taker and plan to give the GMAT in April aiming for 700+ score.

May be motivation is something which I need at this moment,can someone please suggest.
Thanks.

As you have been rightly suggested that you, at first, should have started both Quant and Verbal together but if you have finished Quant to some extent then don't wait till you finish it completely.

The two sections and the preparation of both sections should ideally be done together.

You comment "Lacking Interest from Quant at the moment" is concerning and you should immediately handle this and find a better source of new problems which you can enjoy.

GMAT Preparation is not just about working on your weakness but exploiting the complete potential of your strength is greatly important to get a deserved score.

Don't stretch preparation for so long. As I see that you are targetting April for taking test which looks fine, The best plan woul be that you finish the conceptual building part about a month before the test date and in last month just focus on taking CATs so that you can understand pattern of your mistakes (if any).

I hope the strategy does well for you too as it works good for everyone else.

Prosper!!!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmat2015DM wrote:
Thanks Janielle for answering to my query. I actually wanted to listen to the same response, may be just from some one else :-)
With mid April as my planned GMAT date, I feel I have less time at hand mainly cos of the fact that my long working hours take most of the time. I am trying my best to stick to it , however haven't booked the test date yet.
yes I am referring OG12 as of now for MGMAT guides , I had a previous edition of the books. Also have bought new set of OG.
Which OG you suggest , 2015 or 2016 version, I assume there will be minimal differences in the two and both should be 13th edition or 2016 may be the 14th edition?

The latest OG has 25% questions that are new. So if would be beneficial to go for the latest OG 16.
However, the more official questions you solve the better it is. Make sure you solve the questions that do not overlap from the old OG too.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you all for your time to respond. I will now start with Verbal and get back in case of further queries.

Thanks !
GMAT Club Bot