Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 18:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Need help [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 06:54
Hi,

This is my first query. I am an MBA in Marketing with about 11 years of experience in sales. I want to pursue my PhD in Marketing from a reputed school in USA.

I have my GMAT on 27th Oct'2012 as I am targeting admissions in Fall 2013. Currently I am getting stuck in a score of around 650 ish(Q48, V32) in all the mock GMATs. What should the ideal breakup be for a total score of 720. Is it that I am getting 4/5 questions wrong in a row in Verbal which is pulling down my score?

Advices would be really welcome. Also are there decent schools I can gun for with a score of 650?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 294

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 6

Re: Need help [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 09:08
Expert's post
Hi argha17,

Please refer to the below graphic.

Roughly speaking, an even breakdown between quant and verbal that would result in a total score of 720 would be around:

48/49 Q (84-88%ile)
38/39/40 V (83-39%ile)

So scoring in the roughly 85% tile range for both quant and verbal would yield a 720. You can do this with a raw score of about 48 or 49 for quant and between a 38-40 for verbal.

So with your score of Q48 and V32, you're pretty much there with quant. Just boost up your verbal with some sustained performance on quant and you'll be good to go.

At 650 , you'll be in the lower end of the top 10-15 MBA programs, but you're in the zone for most other bschools.

Please reference GMAT score information.

Hope that helps.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Need help [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 10:36
Hi,
Thanks for your response. However, note that I aspire for my PhD in Marketing, preferably in CB. Is there any advice on which schools should I target with scores ranging from 650 to 700.
Further, as far as I understand, there is no linear relationships to increasing score ie. if I have to increase my score from V32 to V39, it does not mean that I should get 7 more questions right. Assuming the test to be computer adaptive, is there any pitfall I should be extra cautious(eg. not get 3/4 questions wrong in a row) of or is it that I plainly focus on increasing my accuracy a lot more.
Re: Need help   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2012, 10:36