Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 07:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need help : 2 weeks for test. need to go from 600+ to 700+

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Need help : 2 weeks for test. need to go from 600+ to 700+ [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 07:25
Hi,

I have already given GMAT once . My score was 630 Q(45) V(31).. I gave MGMAT 1 and got 600 Q(43) V (31).
I have all the recommended books with me. But i am still making the same errors in verbal. and my Quant score remains static..
can some one guide as to what i can do different..

thank you..
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2273

Kudos [?]: 8775 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Need help : 2 weeks for test. need to go from 600+ to 700+ [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 07:46
Expert's post
deltacaine wrote:
Hi,

I have already given GMAT once . My score was 630 Q(45) V(31).. I gave MGMAT 1 and got 600 Q(43) V (31).
I have all the recommended books with me. But i am still making the same errors in verbal. and my Quant score remains static..
can some one guide as to what i can do different..

thank you..

Hi Deltacaine,

Welcome. I wish you found gmat club a bit earlier. Improving 70+ points in 2 weeks is going to be tough unless you have not done any prep.
Take a look at this study plan: gmat-study-plan-go-from-650-to-80235.html. It is designed for a 1+ months, but will give you a good idea about options and materials to use.

Feel free to post any questions you may have.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Need help : 2 weeks for test. need to go from 600+ to 700+ [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 08:05
Well for SC i am using Manhattan SC and for CR powerscore bible..
In verbal somehow i am unable to improve. In SC idioms and parallelism with built in idioms are causing me lot of problems accounting for almost 75% of my mistake in SC.
any idea how to improve on that.
This is my second attempt. Shld i postponed my exam. I am looking for fall 2010.
thanks.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2273

Kudos [?]: 8775 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Need help : 2 weeks for test. need to go from 600+ to 700+ [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 08:18
Expert's post
deltacaine wrote:
Well for SC i am using Manhattan SC and for CR powerscore bible..
In verbal somehow i am unable to improve. In SC idioms and parallelism with built in idioms are causing me lot of problems accounting for almost 75% of my mistake in SC.
any idea how to improve on that.
This is my second attempt. Shld i postponed my exam. I am looking for fall 2010.
thanks.

This is my least favorite thing to say around here, but it is what it is - You most likely need to reschedule.
2 weeks to improve 100 points after having a stagnant score is not possible really. I would reschedule for 1.5-2 months away.

It sounds you have and covered the right books. It also sounds that you have an error log of some sorts (if you don't, keep one).
Also, print/copy/save any question you make a mistake in - use these as your "custom" gmat study guide - know why you made a mistake in each question and know the right answer by heart (not "D" but rather the entire idiom/sentence/etc).

The great part is that you know your weakness and it is addressable - just takes time. That's it. You are in a much better position than many of the test takers that don't have a clear enemy except lack of motivation/concentration, etc, and those are hard to instill.

There are several paths available for SC (arranged in order of least to most efficiency)
1. Go through the MGMAT SC second time
2. Get PowerScore SC
3. Get a good grammar book such as Doing Grammar
4. Read 1,000-2,000 pages from GMAT Fiction
5. Combination of any of the above

Also, make sure you spend your "better" time on the GMAT (mornings rather than nights after work. At least for me, nothing sticks to my mind after about 6 or 7 pm).
For math, take a peek here what I have just suggested a few minutes ago: og-too-basic-need-prep-advice-to-get-82914.html

Start with the area that's easiet to improve in your mind - you need to get a few victories and for them to motivate you to keep going.
Don't worry about taking full length tests yet - keep polishing your basics. Then when you are a month away, start taking full length tests every week and in the last 2 weeks, every few days.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Need help : 2 weeks for test. need to go from 600+ to 700+ [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 08:46
Thanks for the input. Advancing the test date by 1.5 month is something i will have to think about it.
I will give two test this week and if my score is not in the region of 650+ then i will postponed the test.
the math forum is a godsend and will help me . i was facing difficulty in permutation and combination. so that will help.

Thanks for your quick reply.you have motivated me again. will keep you updated.
Re: Need help : 2 weeks for test. need to go from 600+ to 700+   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2009, 08:46