Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 2.46
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32915 [0]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Need Help! After 14 Weeks of Study, Got 540 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi cb02,

As a student in one of Kaplan’s courses, you have the option to repeat the course for free using our Higher Score Guarantee. I would recommend that you do so, because this will also regain your access to all of the online resources, including CATs and Q Bank for practice in specific areas. One more new feature that we’ve added to our courses is a live GMAT Channel, with sessions taught online most nights of the week covering specific question types and content areas of the GMAT. You personally can target Verbal-based sessions to get some extra teaching and improve your skills in that area. If you’d like to use your Higher Score Guarantee, just call 1-800-KAPTEST (or 1-212-997-5886 internationally) and speak with a customer care representative. We’re here to support you!

Best,
Jennifer Kindy
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1368 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
cb02 wrote:
I started studying back in the last week of August 2016 and studied until the beginning of November (14 weeks). Before I started studying, I took the official GMAT prep site's practice test and got a 530. Right after that, I took the Kaplan in person prep courses for about 7-8 weeks. I had a private tutor for 6 hours a weeks for the last 6 weeks. I took practice exams on the Kaplan site once a week/every other week and go the scores below. My quant score went up and remained consistent (42-46), but my verbal score was very week (usually 25-29. if i do well sometimes, 30-35). How can I improve my score, especially verbal score? Should I retake Manhattan GMAT courses?

Thanks

530 (official GMAT practice test)
540 (kaplan from here on)
560 (official GMAT practice test)
540 (official GMAT)

You need to build the concepts/fundamentals before you jump in solving the problems. You can do so by choosing one of the following ways:
1. In person classes/private tutoring
2. Online classes
3. Self paced online preparatory course
4. Book heavy approach

Whatever you choose, make sure that you choose one. Because GMAT tests you on some concepts and fundamentals that you can learn from a course. Most of the preparatory companies including ours offer a free trial of our course. You can take the trial and see if the course suits your needs. Our course comes with a 50 point score increase or money back guarantee. This shows our confidence in the course.

In addition to the preparatory material, buy the Official Guides(both the Official Guide and the Verbal Review), Question Pack 1 and the 4 official mock CATs. They should be an indispensable part of your preparation.
GMAT Club Bot