Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 08:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need help and advice. Should I retake the GMAT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Should I retake GMAT (Attempt-1:600(Q:47,V:26) and Attempt-2:640(Q:44,V:33))?

• 50% [1]
  • 50% [1]
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Need help and advice. Should I retake the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2011, 03:06
Hello,

I am posting on this forum for the first time and I badly need some advice/help.

I gave GMAT twice, the first time I scored 600(Q:47,V:26) and the second time I scored 640(Q:44,V:33). I know that I have improved a little on verbal but my score in quant dropped may be because I ran out of luck. Though, before sitting for the second attempt of GMAT I used to score around 49-50 in quant in the practice tests. I wanted to score 700 or above, so prepared a lot before the second attempt but never expected the score in quant to drop.

Anyways, please suggest what should be my plan of action now. Should I retake GMAT?

My weakest areas are RC in verbal and coordinate geometry and probability in quant. I have done GMAT OG, Kaplan and GMAT 800.

Please suggest what material should I pick now and what should be my strategy to cross the 700 mark.

Thanks,
Crazyformba
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2324

Kudos [?]: 9434 [0], given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Need help and advice. Should I retake the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2011, 10:59
Expert's post
You are asking two questions:
1. Should I retake the GMAT
2. How to get 700+. The second question can only be / should only be answered if the answer to the first one is yes.... And I don't know that it is. What score do you need?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1153

Kudos [?]: 5368 [0], given: 165

Re: Need help and advice. Should I retake the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2011, 19:51
Expert's post
Whether you should retake depends on a lot of things - the schools you want to apply to, the time you can afford to put in, the effort you are willing to put in to work on your weaknesses etc. If your question is whether it is likely you will improve your score, there is no doubt about that if you are willing to put in time and effort. After all, GMAT questions are based on simple concepts and techniques.

As for your weak areas:
Verbal - My opinion is that generally, if one of the three sections is weak and the other two are strong, you score around 38 - 40. If some one is weak in two of the three sections, the score dips to around 30 and in case none of the sections rock, one tends to get around 22-23.
You figured that RC doesn't work for you so I am putting down the strategy we use for RC.
RC - Mainly practice will help. Read properly the first time around and note the scope, tone, organization and purpose of the passage. Then go on to the questions. Do not make errors in the specific detail questions since the answer is right there in front of you. Go back to the passage to confirm if you have a doubt. The extra 10 seconds are worth it. Veritas has an RC book which has many 650+ passages. In fact, some of them are the hardest that you could see on GMAT. It also discusses the various types of questions that are asked. Not that you need to know that for the exam but it helps in familiarizing yourself with what they are trying to test in each question type. It helps you channel your thoughts properly.
You need to be solid in 2 of the 3 sections of Verbal. Then with around 48 on Quant, you should easily get above 700.

As for Probability, we have a combinatorics book which takes care of GMAT relevant Permutations, combinations and probability. It discusses the topics in detail and gives you tons of practice questions. In addition, we are running the Combinatorics topic on a section of our blog right now.

We also discuss the basic and advanced concepts (as far as GMAT is concerned) of co-ordinate geometry in our Geometry book.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Need help and advice. Should I retake the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2011, 21:48
@BB: I want to achieve a score of 700 or above. So, I think, I should give it a try once more. Having said that, what should be my stategy if I target retaking GMAT in 1 month from now.

How can I increase my score in quant as well as verbal? As I said before, I have already completed GMAT OG, Kaplan, Princeton review and GMAT 800 and my weakest areas are RC in verbal and Coordinate geometry, probability and P&C in quant. Please suggest.

Thanks
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2324

Kudos [?]: 9434 [0], given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Need help and advice. Should I retake the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 13:23
Expert's post
I would probably suggest as much time reading as you can. Follow a strategy that works best for you (preferrable that matches best one of the Books such as MGMAT or Kaplan).

If you have a chance, get a copy of the MGMAT Verbal Foundations too...

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Need help and advice. Should I retake the GMAT?   [#permalink] 12 Dec 2011, 13:23