Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 10:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need Help Choosing School

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need Help Choosing School [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 13:23
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello,

I need a little help choosing my MBA program. I have been accepted into Auburn, University of Nebraska, University of Michigan (which I've ruled out due to high tuition) and Arizona State (all online programs) and would like some advice on which program would be best.

How much does prestige come into play on a resume? Arizona State is currently ranked 27th while Nebraska and Auburn aren't ranked. Will it make that much of a difference to a hiring manager?

Auburn has an Masters in Information System program into which I've also been accepted. Is it worth spending an extra 1-1.5 years in school to get the dual degree?

Nebraska is the least expensive and had the best application process/communication of all the schools I've applied to which makes me think that their online program will be just as nice. Whereas, Auburn's process and communication have not been that great.

Anyone have experience with these programs?

Thanks for your help!
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: Need Help Choosing School [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 12:03
Expert's post
In my humble opinion, the answer to your question a time-honored one: it depends. What does it depend on? I would say first and foremost, on your post-MBA plan. If you are targeting a competitive job with a Fortune 100 company, then indeed, the higher the placement of the school on the marquee, the better. You also must consider whether or not your target companies even recruit from your target schools, because if they do not, your career pursuits will be much more involved on the backend. Another part of this is your desired geographical destination. MBA grads generally scatter all over the globe, yet there is a large percentage who remain within a 300 mile radius of the school for their entire post-MBA career. These kinds of considerations can be helpful when deciding just how much the network you are establishing will come into play. Even though Arizona is a top 30 program, it may not be as well known in the northeast, for example. Ultimately, you will need to weigh these factors againsst where you feel you fit in best and will subsequently achieve more, learn more and contribute more than you might at a school where the fit is not as good. I wouldn't use price too much as a factor. It's far more importatn to pick a school which aligns with your goals and enables you access to the path you desire. These things will long outweigh paying a few more bucks up front. This is coming from someone who is still paying off his MBA loan even after 10 years post-graduation. I hate the concept of doing now and paying later, but MBAs are not cheap and for some there is no other way but to do it on credit (unless they want to skip it altogether, which is an even worse option for visionaries!) Hope some of this helps.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

Re: Need Help Choosing School [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 12:24
how is this even a question... take on the debt and go to Ross.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: CMU (Tepper) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 740 Q V
GPA: 3.05
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 11

Re: Need Help Choosing School [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 12:50
Yes - the only reason to NOT go with Ross would be if you were just trying to satisfy some minimum requirement (aka you must have an MBA to apply)

* The opinions expressed here are my personal views and do not necessarily reflect the views of my school, the Tepper School of Business.

Intern
Intern

Re: Need Help Choosing School [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 12:59
Thank you for your replies. I should clarify that I didn't apply to Ross. I was accepted into the online MBA program from University of Michigan - Dearborn. Having said that, do you still agree that it's worth the extra money for a highly ranked school? Would you choose Arizona State (ranked 27th) over Auburn or Nebraska (who are not ranked)?
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 156

Kudos [?]: 518 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Need Help Choosing School [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 13:05
Hi Bukow,

I think most of people here know a lot about full-time MBA pr. at top BS schools.
As about online programmes at lower ranked schools there is less intrest here in those programs. Saying that I think for you iot would be difficult to find a response to your question.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: ACFE Member, CalCPA Member
Schools: Duke - Fuqua
WE 1: CPA & CFE with 7 years of experience
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: Need Help Choosing School [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 13:25
Bukow wrote:
Thank you for your replies. I should clarify that I didn't apply to Ross. I was accepted into the online MBA program from University of Michigan - Dearborn. Having said that, do you still agree that it's worth the extra money for a highly ranked school? Would you choose Arizona State (ranked 27th) over Auburn or Nebraska (who are not ranked)?

Well I guess I'll add my two cents here. I do think, depending on your goals, that it is worth the cost to attend a higher ranked school. It isn't just that Arizona is higher ranked, but that they have moved up the rankings over the past five years. This doesn't mean that they will continue to do so, but it is a good sign to me. Of course this begs the question on which rankings you look at. For me, I've noted that in the global rankings of the Financial Times, ASU has moved up in some big areas like overall global rank (#64 in the world), employment 3 months after graduation (89%), and salary percentage increase (96%).

Another big (huge) consideration for me is that the MBA diploma that you get from ASU is exactly the same as if you went there in their full-time program. There is no differentiation. You have the same content, same information, same degree and transcripts. You might look into the other programs you are accepted to in order to see if that is the case with them. I have noticed that some schools give a different diploma. That could make an impact for your resume and hiring options in the future.

Let me know if you decide on ASU as I decided on that school myself. We would be seeing each other for the mandatory orientation in July. I did a ton of research and that was just the best bet. Also, I have had a fantastic experience with their admissions as well as their financial services department. The online set-up that I have now that I'm enrolled is also incredibly easy to use. That speaks volumes to me for an online program. Let me know if you have any specific questions about ASU. Good luck!!
Intern
Intern

Re: Need Help Choosing School [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2011, 09:11
Thanks VinceCPA. Your response was very helpful. I recently got in touch with an old high school friend who also went to ASU so I'm going to pick his brain on this subject as well. At this point, I'm leaning toward ASU. I'll definitely let you know if I attend as it would be good to already (kind of) know someone at the orientation. Thanks again!
Re: Need Help Choosing School   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2011, 09:11