Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 17:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need help: Darden vs Fisher, Carlson, Rice ($$$)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Need help: Darden vs Fisher, Carlson, Rice ($$$) [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2014, 20:39
Hi guys, I have received (almost) all the offers from my applied programs:

- Offers:
Darden: admitted (financial aid package will come next week, hopefully with $)
Fisher: Full tuition + stipend
Carlson: full tuition
Rice: full tuition

- Background:
International student form Vietnam,
5 years experience in audit + corporate finance + investment management (more of general management than investment)

- Goal:
1st: Management consulting of second-tier companies (Deloitte strategy and operation)
2nd: Corporate finance.

I know that Darden is the best of the batch but the cost difference is quite substantial.
Regarding to the other 3 (same ranking), my thoughts:
- Carlson has and edge in exposure to F500 companies but I hate the cold weather.
- Houston is wonderful and Rice seems to be popular regionally, but I do not have any energy experience. I do not know if I could compete with Indian students there. It also seems that the only choice I have at Rice is corporate finance at an energy company.
- Fisher offers me the best financial package (bascially free) and seems to be best all-rounded choice among the 3.

I have talked with some of my friends in the US but I still dont have enough information for a confident decision. the MBA program is a starting point of a career path to me so it is very important to make it right.

Any opinion and information would help here on the options that I have (Darden vs other 3 and among the 3), especially with the possible career chances after graduation.

Thank you so much for your support.
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Need help: Darden vs Fisher, Carlson, Rice ($$$) [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 08:31
Hope that you guys are busy preparing for the start by now.

Still need help here.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Need help: Darden vs Fisher, Carlson, Rice ($$$) [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 08:52
The easiest answer would be look at the employment placement statistics for each school. If you think you can get where you want with Fisher, etc. I would do it. you have a goal of a high paying career so the loans may not mean a ton for Darden

Nghiemhai86 wrote:
Hi guys, I have received (almost) all the offers from my applied programs:

- Offers:
Darden: admitted (financial aid package will come next week, hopefully with $)
Fisher: Full tuition + stipend
Carlson: full tuition
Rice: full tuition

- Background:
International student form Vietnam,
5 years experience in audit + corporate finance + investment management (more of general management than investment)

- Goal:
1st: Management consulting of second-tier companies (Deloitte strategy and operation)
2nd: Corporate finance.

I know that Darden is the best of the batch but the cost difference is quite substantial.
Regarding to the other 3 (same ranking), my thoughts:
- Carlson has and edge in exposure to F500 companies but I hate the cold weather.
- Houston is wonderful and Rice seems to be popular regionally, but I do not have any energy experience. I do not know if I could compete with Indian students there. It also seems that the only choice I have at Rice is corporate finance at an energy company.
- Fisher offers me the best financial package (bascially free) and seems to be best all-rounded choice among the 3.

I have talked with some of my friends in the US but I still dont have enough information for a confident decision. the MBA program is a starting point of a career path to me so it is very important to make it right.

Any opinion and information would help here on the options that I have (Darden vs other 3 and among the 3), especially with the possible career chances after graduation.

Thank you so much for your support.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q V0
GPA: 3.6

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Need help: Darden vs Fisher, Carlson, Rice ($$$) [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 09:40
I'm not incredibly well-versed in the different corporate finance exit opportunities at the schools. However, I would imagine that if you really want to do consulting then you should likely choose the Darden route; however, if you're lukewarm on consulting and want to end up in a corporate finance position, the other schools should (with a bit more risk) be able to get you there.
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 54

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Need help: Darden vs Fisher, Carlson, Rice ($$$) [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 10:08
Expert's post
Easy choice Darden, it's the only place that will get you where you want to go.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 55

Re: Need help: Darden vs Fisher, Carlson, Rice ($$$) [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 12:39
MBA is only once, so for sure go with Darden. The loan will not be so bad after graduation. Moreover, you might as well get 50%-100% scholarship from Darden??!!
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Need help: Darden vs Fisher, Carlson, Rice ($$$) [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 19:40
Thank you guys. I appreciate your opinion.

- For sure Darden is the best choice, but I think $70-100k could not be ignored.

- As an international student, the MC route is extremely tough. Thus, ironically, I have the thought that if I could make it at Darden, I could make it at other schools as well, if I couldn't, neither of them will get me there. I just couldnt conclude on the cost/possibility analysis.

Anybody with experience or insight from the schools?
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Need help: Darden vs Fisher, Carlson, Rice ($$$) [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2014, 19:04
Anybody have employment placement breakdown of the schools?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 7

Re: Need help: Darden vs Fisher, Carlson, Rice ($$$) [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2014, 19:30
This post received
KUDOS
Employment reports for...

Fisher
http://fisher.osu.edu/mag/2013/careerre ... eflip.html

Carlson
http://www.carlsonschool.umn.edu/mba/fu ... Report.pdf

Rice
https://business.rice.edu/uploadedFiles ... Report.pdf

In terms of ranking, hiring, everything really... Darden wins. I currently work in a group with 15 Darden alumni as management consultants, and they are all very well trained by the school. From a career path perspective, Darden will provide a great education and strong recruiting. However, my colleagues talk about the expenses of b-school from time-to-time, and it does take a toll, especially for international students.

If you want more thoughts feel free to PM me.
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Need help: Darden vs Fisher, Carlson, Rice ($$$) [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2014, 22:38
Psyched wrote:
Employment reports for...

Fisher
http://fisher.osu.edu/mag/2013/careerre ... eflip.html

Carlson
http://www.carlsonschool.umn.edu/mba/fu ... Report.pdf

Rice
https://business.rice.edu/uploadedFiles ... Report.pdf

In terms of ranking, hiring, everything really... Darden wins. I currently work in a group with 15 Darden alumni as management consultants, and they are all very well trained by the school. From a career path perspective, Darden will provide a great education and strong recruiting. However, my colleagues talk about the expenses of b-school from time-to-time, and it does take a toll, especially for international students.

If you want more thoughts feel free to PM me.

Thank you for your information. Very helpful. I went through those reports months ago, however, only Rice's provided useable information.

Anw, no scholarship from Darden so its Fisher for me.

Thank you guys. The next battle now begins. :)
Re: Need help: Darden vs Fisher, Carlson, Rice ($$$)   [#permalink] 30 Mar 2014, 22:38