Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 19:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need help developing study plan (720 on GMAT Prep)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need help developing study plan (720 on GMAT Prep) [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2014, 05:51
Hi everyone.

I decided I'm going to take the GMAT first time this year, and intend to apply for the next year MBA rounds. So I browsed gmatclub's forums a lot and decided to start with a GMATPrep CAT to see what an actual exam looks like, and to better understand where my weaknesses are.

My end goal is 750.

So I took the practice test and got a 720 (Q49 V39) on my first try, and was really happy with it! But now I need to develop a study plan in order to achieve my goal on an actual test. I was wondering if you guys have any advice that could help me.

Here goes some data...

Quant
Score: 49, 83rd percentile.
Time taken: 63 minutes out of 75 to complete (when there were 3/4 Q's left, I noticed there was about 20 minutes, so I slowed down a little)
Avg time/Q [PS]: 1'35''
Avg time/Q [DS]: 1'49''
Mistakes [PS]: 1 out of 19 questions (5% error rate)
Mistakes [DS]: 6 out of 18 questions (33% error rate)
Questions with incorrect answers: 1-DS, 2-DS, 19-DS, 22-PS, 23-DS, 31-DS, 34-DS (started bad, but I don't know if this is relevant)
My analysis: so 86% of my mistakes were in DS type questions, and some of them I thought I knew the answer but was incorrect. I think I need to eliminate the silly mistakes in this section (like first two questions were DS but I think were not too hard, maybe too nervous?). So focus on DS.

Verbal
Score: 39, 88rd percentile.
Time taken: 75 minutes out of 75 to complete (when there were 2 Q's left, I was running out of time so had to speed up)
Avg time/Q [SC]: 1'17''
Avg time/Q [CR]: 2'15''
Avg time/Q [RC]: 2'07''
Mistakes [SC]: 6 out of 17 questions (35% error rate)
Mistakes [CR]: 1 out of 11 questions (9% error rate)
Mistakes [RC]: 2 out of 13 questions (15% error rate)
Questions with incorrect answers: 3-SC, 4-RC, 6-RC, 11-SC, 17-SC, 25-CR, 26-SC, 33-SC, 37-SC
My analysis: so 67% of my mistakes were in SC type questions, and to be honest a lot of them just felt like guessing to me. I'm not a native speaker, and I kind of know english by "heart" rather than exact grammatical rules, so a lot of times I was choosing the option that felt most right to me. But also I had a lot of trouble concentrating on RC questions at first, so the first time a question of that type popped up I was just a mess at trying to answer it. The next ones I decided to read the passage first and understand it by heart and then answer the questions, which worked better. So to me it seems like I need to study grammar to better tackle SC, and develop a better strategy at tackling CR and RC to bring down error rate and avg time/Q.

Would you help me develop a study plan? I have ~2hrs available per workday and ~4/5hours per day on weekends, and am not in a rush to do the actual test. I read bb's post about study plans (the basic one, not advanced one, which seems to be for folks who already have studied for GMAT before), but I was wondering if I should tailor those recommendations to my case, or just follow them along.

Thank you very much in advance.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Need help developing study plan (720 on GMAT Prep)   [#permalink] 14 Apr 2014, 05:51