Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 02:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need help for a list of schools to look at

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need help for a list of schools to look at [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2007, 20:15
Hey all, here is a very quick background about me before we get to my questions!

26 Male
BS Electrical Engineer 2003 from Virginia Tech
MS Electrical Engineer 2006 focused in AC power systems and communications systems, also from Virginia Tech

Worked full time as a lead engineer at defense contractor from 2003-Present.

I took the Gmat back in 2004 and got a 630 but Friday retook the test and got a 710 (I wanna say 46Q 80% and 41V 93%). So I think I should revise my list of schools.

I'm interested in attending a school that focuses on technology and consulting. I'm not necessarily interested in investment bank and that sorts of things. After speaking with some people, I think the top two schools for what I'm interested in are MIT and Stanford. What other schools , international or not, should I be looking at?

Thanks!

Nathan
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2007, 20:52
I'd suggest checking out this thread:

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=41908

It has links to the application results at most of the top schools for GMATclub members this year.

Stanford and MIT are among the toughest programs in the nation to get into. Your GMAT score will about average for admitted applicants (below average for Stanford actually). You didn't give your GPA, but VT is not considered a brand name school so a 3.5+ will put you in range (below average for Stanford again).

Stanford highly values community service and extracurricular activities. If you have had leadership roles in name-brand service organizations, I would say you might have a shot. If not, chances would be almost non-existent. Leadership and teamwork in a work setting are important as well.

MIT will be marginally easier - I didn't apply there so I don't have any details. The other question is, if you just got your MS in 2006, why now do you need an MBA?

Other schools strong in your areas of interest would be Darden, Duke, Haas & Michigan.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 04:54
Tepper would be an ideal fit for you. There are a ton of engineer types in the program and career placement tends to lean to the tech/engineering side. The people at Tepper, from the students to the administrators, are first class people too.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 05:54
Thanks for the replies guys!

Virginia Tech, while not considered a brand name school is in the top 25 when it comes to Electrical Engineering. My undergraduate GPA wasn't so great, 2.8, which part of the reason I did the MSEE first. I ended up with a 3.4 with my graduate GPA.

I've never heard of Tepper so I'll do a little research on that school. Other schools I've been considered are University of Toronto, Yorke University, and LBS. Are those schools considered good schools for consulting? I did some research last night and saw that companies like Bain, McKinsey, and Accenture recruit there.

Thanks!

Nathan
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 06:12
Based on your engineering background and tech focus, I would also advise you to look at Carnegie Mellon - Tepper.
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 06:37
Hi, Nathan. I am the board's resident tree-hugging hippy/nonprofiteer, so I can't tell you much about which schools to look at.

I did, however, want to commend you on your solid GMAT improvement (the exact same scores for me: 630 to 710) and for starting your search now. Stay with it, and check out the 2008 applicants thread if you haven't already.

Also, if you really want to party with the big boys - standford and mit - you might consider hitting that GMAT again. I am NOT one of the people here who worship at the Altar of 750, but you've got time and a higher score would only help. Also, with your engineering background, I would think you could spank the quant with the right prep. Lord knows the quant spanked me, but imagine what a higher Q would do when coupled with your already-excellent V.

Just a thought. Good luck.
  [#permalink] 13 Mar 2007, 06:37