Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 13:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need help for improvement.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 45

Need help for improvement. [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 05:55
Hi All,

I have taken my GMAT test today. Scored Pretty bad(620 MAth-48/Eng - 27). I have experienced few things in the test today. First one is that, I am pretty bad with RCs( Bind getting blank.. once i start reading). Second one is that Math seemed quite easy, but got only 48. Important point is that My score in the MGMAT prep tests were never this less. It always was above 700, with math always 51 and english around 35-39. Can you guys please suggest me where i might have gone wrong.

Regards,
Srikanth
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 284

Kudos [?]: 433 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need help for improvement. [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 07:58
Expert's post
Srikanth,

There seem to be a few factors that could account for your lower scores. Here is what stands out.

Quant: Questions seeming easy can mean a couple of things. Perhaps, you missed a few questions in a row and now the algorithm is giving you a string of easy questions. Essentially, you are digging yourself out of a hole.

Another take on the easy questions is that some of those questions may have only appeared easy. A question is difficult because most people miss it. Sometimes a question that many miss is one that has a wrong answer that, upon first glance, seems to be the answer. Many students click the wrong answer without really taking the problem apart, thinking Hey that was easy. They did not, however, see the twist, and had they caught it, they wouldn't have thought the question was easy.

My advice: be careful on a question that seems too easy. Look for those hidden words, such as not, or integer, or, in the case of Data Sufficiency, make sure not to confuse percent/ratio with actual number.

On the Reading Comprehension side, if your mind is going blank, as you put it, you may be getting anxious. Breathing deeply, so as to control your heart rate, can do wonders. Physiology aside, you may also want to reassess how you are approaching passages. Do you skim too quickly without really taking too much in? This technique, while helpful on easier passages, can really breakdown on the more dense passages. You may find yourself reading and reading the same parts, something that can cause your heart rate to speed up.

A good strategy, if you plan to retake it, is to practice back-to-back RC passages with LSAT tests. These passages tend to be denser, the questions more difficult. Learning how to slow down so you can process the complex information will help you when you face the inevitable difficult RC passage your next time around.

Hope that helps :-D

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern

Re: Need help for improvement. [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 22:37
Hi Christopher Lele,

Thank you so much for responding. I am thinking of taking the test again in the May End. The Math part i was so confident about the questions because of my practice and my background in math. May be what you have said has a point, I might have made series of wrongs and that might have made my score less.

Coming to RCs, The Information you provided has given a lot of scope to think of how to approach the GMAT RCs. The Blackouts were because of me reading and reading the same passages again and again with the time factor pressurizing me. The LSAT RCs has to help me out. I will start working on that part immediately. Thank you once again for replying me so fast. :)

Regards,
Srikanth
Intern
Intern

Re: Need help for improvement. [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 20:32
Hi Christopher Lele,

I have a small query regarding the LSAT RCs. Can you please tell me in which sites i can get the real experience of solving RCs like we see them in the exam?

Regards,
Srikanth
Re: Need help for improvement.   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2012, 20:32