Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 04:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need Help from all the great people on this forum

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need Help from all the great people on this forum [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 13:27
Hi, all

I have heard many good things about this forum and noticed that there are lot of warm hearted people here willing to help struggling people like me. I got a question regarding my chances for some of the MSA programs.

I graduated from Southern Methodist University and Obtained a BBA in Accounting. My GPA is 3.442. I took my GMAT this summer and got a 660 (Q 49 V 33 AWA 5)
My dream school would be UIUC. (I consider my odds for UT Austin is lower than UIUC and I will not bother applying)
I also have thought about Boston College, Michigan State University, Texas A&M and maybe University of Florida. Some of my friends suggested Baruch. According to them, it is also a good accounting school. I have also heard of Notre Dame.

Here are some of my other background
I have half tuition scholarship when I was in SMU and I got the 2009 anual minority academic award.
I have been working for a Dallas-based firm for a year now since graduation as a government contract manager. I did an accounting internship back in Dec, 2008 for Shanghai Weili Pump (they are a subsidiary of the S&P 500 Dover Corp.)

Would any of you please help me? What are the chances for those schools i mentioned above? Any tips and feedbacks are appreciated.
Thank you for your time reading this and have a great day.

P.S, Just in case you ask, I am not an international student.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: Need Help from all the great people on this forum [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 19:31
Hard to tell.

What are your reasons for going back to school for MS Accounting degree? Depending on the purpose of the degree, it may impact your chances at some of these schools. A lot of these schools have the MS Accounting program for their own undergraduate accounting students.

Some schools like to accept students who are coming straight from undergraduate school, and recommend "experienced" applicants towards their MBA program. Some schools won't accept undergraduate accounting majors, etc.

Anyway, based on the little information that you posted:

660 GMAT and 3.4 GPA combo should give you more than fair shot at programs like Boston College, Baruch, Michigan State, Texas A&M, and U of Florida.

For programs like UIUC, and Notre Dame, it is going to be tougher because you will be competing with cream of the crop (in terms of applicant quality). You have a decent chance at those programs, but it would be much tougher compared to the schools listed above (Baruch, etc).

Your work experience is not going to make much impact for MS Accounting degree because the program is mainly targeted towards 5th yr accounting majors. Your work experience might work in your favor during recruiting.

Hopefully, your goal is to get into public accounting. For a lot of these programs, that has to be the goal because the school work closely with Big 4 (and other public accounting firms) recruiters. They wine and dine these Big 4 recruiters and adjust their program based on the feedback from the recruiters. (After all, their program won't be popular if they can't get these firms to come to campus for OCR, etc).

If you don't have a preference (other than UIUC), I would recommend you to apply to Baruch, Boston College, Bentley, and etc. Barring another recession, the number of application to MS Accounting programs should fall compared to past 2-3 years. I think you have a pretty good shot at these schools.

Apply to Notre Dame and UIUC (and apply as early as possible. At some of these programs, they fill seats on first come basis). I am optimistic that you might get into one of these two, but every top undergraduate student without a job offer is applying to one of these programs. Competition will be fierce.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Need Help from all the great people on this forum   [#permalink] 06 Dec 2010, 19:31