Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:30 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 978 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE:General Management (Retail)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Rotman '15 Ivey
GMAT Date: 03-28-2012
GPA: 2.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V51
GPA: 3.6
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Re: Need Help! from Sure Shot 700+ to 660 in actual exam [#permalink]
Looks to me like you had an off-day and underperformed your potential. Similar thing happened to me on my last practice test, I just bombed it, felt a mess the whole way through. Honestly I think sometimes people need that: to take one test that just goes catastrophically, and get it out of your system. I took the real GMAT 2 days after my final practice test and scored a full 120 points higher.

If I were you I'd retake. You clearly have the potential to do much better, so don't short-change yourself by applying with a suboptimal score.If need be, apply Round 2. Nothing wrong with that.

Also, all schools will see all your scores, there's no way to game that. Usually they just look at your highest though.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JoelCairo wrote:
Looks to me like you had an off-day and underperformed your potential. Similar thing happened to me on my last practice test, I just bombed it, felt a mess the whole way through. Honestly I think sometimes people need that: to take one test that just goes catastrophically, and get it out of your system. I took the real GMAT 2 days after my final practice test and scored a full 120 points higher.

If I were you I'd retake. You clearly have the potential to do much better, so don't short-change yourself by applying with a suboptimal score.If need be, apply Round 2. Nothing wrong with that.

Also, all schools will see all your scores, there's no way to game that. Usually they just look at your highest though.

Hi Joel, thanks for advice!

More specifically; if i don't choose names of same 5 schools (as in first attempt), then in next attempt, will GMAT still send new scores also to the old five schools? as in a total to 10 schools?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
As I understand it, when you apply you tell GMAC "send my scores to schools X, Y and Z" and GMAC just automatically releases all data it has about you to those schools. There is no way to selectively hold back, and let school X only see your first score while school Y sees only your second score or something like that. Every school will see every score.

(If you don't apply to the first five schools from the first test, then I don't think they get updated with your second test without you telling GMAC to do so. If you do apply, though, they'll see both tests)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JoelCairo wrote:
. . . . (If you don't apply to the first five schools from the first test, then I don't think they get updated with your second test without you telling GMAC to do so. If you do apply, though, they'll see both tests)

sry, but i think i am missing something here . . . based on your above statement; the new question is, how do school get scores? they get something like a mail from GMAC or they have a kind of log-in, which they access when evaluating the application to see whats the latest score for a particular candidate?

to build further on argument; if in next test, i choose 'no' school > i re-take exam > score bad > and apply to schools, basis my earlier scores > how do those schools get to know what my new score are?

Thanks!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Well, given your work ex and track record, I think you can give ISB a shot...

I attended an info session organized by the admission cell of ISB and they said that they take into consideration the highest score. There is a 40 - 60% chance that you'll get an interview call with a score of 660. So why not re-take the test and see if you improve? God forbid, if your score were to drop, 660 is still a good enough score to get an interview call. However, if you are able to improve your score to a +700, you can improve your chances of getting an interview call to 80 - 90%

I think it's a win win... Re-take the exam in mid october and apply to round 2 of ISB :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Now I'm not sure I follow your question, but the bottom line is that every school you apply to will see every GMAT score you get. There is no way around that.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
I'm not sure how that works, but I think they see every test you take UNTIL the day the test report gets sent. I'm not sure if they automatically update the schools with new schools. So, for instance, if you took the test once in January, once in February and once in March, and if you sent a score report in February, both Jan/Feb scores will be on there. If you don't send the March report to the SAME school, I don't think GMAC automatically updates your old Feb score report with a March score. Does that make sense?

Personally, I'd retake just so I can be in the admissible range (or over) for the schools I'm applying to. This is especially true for the US schools (Kellogg is pretty competitive. And it's Kellogg, not Kelloggs like the cereal)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General
Schools:Columbia
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:
I'm not sure how that works, but I think they see every test you take UNTIL the day the test report gets sent. I'm not sure if they automatically update the schools with new schools. So, for instance, if you took the test once in January, once in February and once in March, and if you sent a score report in February, both Jan/Feb scores will be on there. If you don't send the March report to the SAME school, I don't think GMAC automatically updates your old Feb score report with a March score. Does that make sense?

Personally, I'd retake just so I can be in the admissible range (or over) for the schools I'm applying to. This is especially true for the US schools (Kellogg is pretty competitive. And it's Kellogg, not Kelloggs like the cereal)

what's their mascot? A tiger? :)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
The cereal? Yes. The school? It's a wildcat. For Northwestern University, at least. I'm guessing the business school uses the same mascot.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
You can retake any time.....
Scores matter to get shortlisted if your profile is too common...Or you do not want to risk/are not confident that your work can earn the call....
But after a point, scores do not matter....

What matters is -"What can you bring to the school ?"
That is the business of B-Schools especially the Top ones....This is exactly the reason some schools do not even disclose the number of admits, though some definitely do...

You should be in the best position to take that call....
Because everyone has his own unique story...
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Looks like you got a number of opinions, so I am coming a bit late into it.

Your profile sounds very strong and 660 is a great score for a 30 year old though definitely not the limit.

How many times have you taken the official GMAT? Just once?
I think your case maybe the prep was stretched out for too long. I remember the case of Pathfinder who got into Wharton - he got 720 on his initial attempt and did not risk applying that year (feeling his score was too low - a different story). After spending about 10 months and studying on/off, he retook the test and scored 680.

There is no right or wrong answer. Only opinions. Listen to all of them and then pick the best one as none of us understand where you are right now and what's going through your mind.

My suggestion

My suggestion for you would be not to spend a lot of time or resources on the retake. Does it mean retaking? Maybe. (You can retake in 31 days after taking it the first time but do very little prep - instead focus on the apps and perhaps reading some fiction late at night to improve your ear for proper English - that can boost a few points on the verbal score). The test has a standard error of about 40 points, so let's hope you scored at the lower level of your potential.

WHY?

You have studied so many resources and done prep for so long that it is probably at the revolting stage (if not, then perhaps you have not studied enough). I feel you won't be able to hunt down your weaknesses quick enough to do a great job on applications and perhaps even get discouraged.

Score Reports

I would not worry about schools seeing multiple scores. They take the highest score in 99% of cases and only use the report to verify that one of them is indeed the highest you got.

Just some thoughts - you will need to make the decision on your own and don't give me more weight.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JoelCairo wrote:
Now I'm not sure I follow your question, but the bottom line is that every school you apply to will see every GMAT score you get. There is no way around that.

Fair enough! i get you now; thanks for reaching out to support!

Originally posted by Target760 on 10 Aug 2011, 01:29.
Last edited by Target760 on 10 Aug 2011, 01:47, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:

Hi Whiplash2411!

tx for sharing your thoughts! its likely that i will attempt a retak!

I know i am required to focus on CR + RC; what do you think, where could i understand and practice more from, if i wan to study 3-4 weeks more. ?? unfortunately i have exhausted Bang Bang guide, my own notes and GmatPrerp problems. . .

any ides would be helpful

thanks again!
(will remember it's kellogg)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
Looks like you got a number of opinions, . . . .

Thanks bb as always and this time more so for putting it across so structured

to answer your question; i had taken GMAT in 2004; it was dismal 620 then. (never really prepared; and i don't think hat will show in any of my history via GMAC)

Next, with so many rhyming feedback, I have concluded on thing that i got to 'make my own well though decision' as there are no specific recipes. so i should have come to some conclusion within next 48 hrs.

Two question:
1) i was wandering, just as you felt that profile seems strong, could i get the same evaluated from some one? should i approach some consultant (i have not done much homework on apps and consultants so don't know any names etc). how long will such a process take? OR would schools directly give a feedback if one approaches - but how to approach? MBA expos , wherein i could meet reps from schools face to face, are coming to India only by end of sep/oct . . . i don't want to spread myself too much! would rather only focus on INSEAD as top choice, then LBS UK or ISB
2) Even though i may be lucky to appeal the admission committee, based on my profile, but how much could bad gmat score affect the possibility of any financial aid / scholarship (i know its a very broad question, but any feedback would help. .

tx again
GS
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
You want to post some requests (don't post everywhere) in the Admissions Consultants Forum.
You can take advantage of their free help to get your profile evaluated pretty thoroughly.

get-a-free-profile-evaluation-by-a-top-admissions-consultant-99300.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
give as many tests as possible
Manager
Manager