Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 01:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need Help! from V30 to V40+

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

Need Help! from V30 to V40+ [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2013, 20:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Dear Experts
My verbal score stuck around 30. As per my analysis, my accuracy level at high difficulty is very low that lowers my overall accuracy. Right now I am primarily focusing on sentence correction. At 600-700 level accuracy is 59% and at 700-800 level it is 20%. I would like to improve the overall accuracy to 90%.
Waiting for some precious advises.
Thanks. :)
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 539

Kudos [?]: 2273 [1] , given: 31

Re: Need Help! from V30 to V40+ [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 11:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
vivmechster wrote:
Dear Experts
My verbal score stuck around 30. As per my analysis, my accuracy level at high difficulty is very low that lowers my overall accuracy. Right now I am primarily focusing on sentence correction. At 600-700 level accuracy is 59% and at 700-800 level it is 20%. I would like to improve the overall accuracy to 90%.
Waiting for some precious advises.
Thanks. :)

Dear vivmechster,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, here's a free idiom ebook:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idiom-ebook/

Here's a three-month study plan for someone who wants to improve verbal:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-gm ... l-focused/
That entire blog is loaded with tips and practice questions for the SC section.

Here's a free challenging SC practice question:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3218
When you submit your answer, the next page will have a complete video explanation of the question. Each one of our practice questions has its own video explanation, for accelerated learning.

I hope all this helps.
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager

Re: Need Help! from V30 to V40+ [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 21:59
Thanks you so much. I appreciate your effort.
Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Need Help! from V30 to V40+ [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2013, 21:20
You will find this helpful..

how-to-improve-verbal-from-v30-to-v40-142361.html

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Manager
Manager

Re: Need Help! from V30 to V40+ [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2013, 17:45
Hi Mike,
Recently, I encounter with new problem. This is specially with verbal, I mark wrong choice in mock tests, and when I review the same I find the questions are easily doable.
Please suggest.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 539

Kudos [?]: 2273 [1] , given: 31

Re: Need Help! from V30 to V40+ [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 16:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
vivmechster wrote:
Hi Mike,
Recently, I encounter with new problem. This is specially with verbal, I mark wrong choice in mock tests, and when I review the same I find the questions are easily doable.
Please suggest.

Dear vivmechster,
How well honed are your skills of attention and focus? You can practice math & verbal by doing practice GMAT problems, but do you do anything to practice your ability to pay attention or your ability to focus on something? When you mark a wrong answer of a question you later realize is easy, in a very meaningful way you are not truly "there" when you marked the wrong answer ---- you are not "there" with your full attention and focus. In our modern, hyper-electronic, entertainment-driven culture, most people are not truly "there" most of the time.
Here's a series of articles you may find pertinent:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/overcome-g ... y-breathe/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/beating-gmat-stress/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/the-gmat-b ... g-picture/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/zen-boot-c ... -the-gmat/
Part of the problem may be: when a question is easier, perhaps you take it for granted. You think, "Oh, this is easy" and you, as it were, cruise through it, inadvertently picking the wrong answer on occasion. Treat every single question as if your entire GMAT performance, your entire business school application, your entire post-MBA career, depended on your performance on that one question. Treat everything with the absolutely highest level attention and focus you can muster. At first, this will be difficult, but if you are consistent, you will acclimate to it, and that is precisely the level you want to be well-practiced by the time of the real GMAT. That fourth article above gives concrete recommendations about what you can do to enhance your attention and focus.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager

Re: Need Help! from V30 to V40+ [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2013, 01:01
Hi Mike,
Amazing articles, I completely agree to all your points. The point, which motivated me is "if your future turns out exactly as you are able to imagine it right now, then that means you would be falling short of your potential, because your potential is always beyond what you can imagine."
Thanks for these great insights. :-D
Re: Need Help! from V30 to V40+   [#permalink] 05 Nov 2013, 01:01