Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 02:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need help getting back on the Horse

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Need help getting back on the Horse [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2005, 08:46
I took the GMAT almost a month ago and got a bad score. I know I have to retake it and I know that I need to work on my verbal but I am having difficulty getting back into the super-motivated place where I wa before I took the test for the first time and I think it is noslty because I don't know where to start. I need to know from those of you who retook the test what you did the second time around...I mean how you started. I have done 85% of the problems from the OG, a lot of KAplan and PRinceton Review problems and frankly I don't know where to start. I feel that doing these problems over again might not be good practice because I've seen them before and I wouldn't really know if I was getting them right because I have seen the problem before or because I conceptually understand them. I think that if I make a good plan from the start and I follow it I have a great chance to do well on the GMAT but I want to start it off right....Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2005, 08:56
Hi,

Have you done the paper GMATs or any of the LSAT sections?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2005, 13:27
I have done about 5 of the eight paper tests that I have. I have not done any LSAT stuff. I didn't get LSAT material only because I have seen mixed reviews..some say it helps others say it is a waste of money.

I also wanted to ask a question with regard to quant. Last time around I got a good quant score and hopefully on my next try I can maintain that, how did those who took the test again maintain their score for their strong subject...i.e. how many problems a day did you do of quant so as to maintain your good score. What I do not want to do is focus so much on verbal that I screw myself out of a good quant score.

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2005, 13:42
Yeah, I had the same problem as yours too. Basically, the Quan is not gonna be any harder. If you finished last one with a lot of time extra, that means Quan is easy to you. All you have to do now is to stay calm and divide time evenly. Don't try to finish it too early to make silly mistakes.

For Verbal, you may have to spend more time in early 15 questions. I mean "a lot more time". Since you know Verbal may not be your strength, spending more time will help increase the score a lot. You should also know that the probabilities of getting wrongs answer at the end by randomly guess and educated guess are the same. So guessing completely 5 questions at the end still guarantees you at least a 32 on Verbal. That is around 670-690 total.

Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: Wharton '15
GPA: 3.5
WE: Marketing (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need help getting back on the Horse [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 05:45
I took the test a few years ago and got a score that I was very unhappy with (640). I can tell you with certainty that the LAST thing you want to do is give up now. I'm taking the test again this week and can say that I had much more difficulty studying this time around because I didn't have the base knowledge. I put the work in, and now I'm scoring between 750 and 780 on my practice tests so I'm feeling good going into the test this time.

My mistake the first time around (and it sounds like this might be yours too) was that I went too gung-ho on practice problems without understanding concepts first. I thought that if I just did problems everything would just click. Bottom line is, there aren't enough problems in the world for that if you start off weak as I did.

Here's my advice:

1) Start with concepts. The Manhattan GMAT books are the best for this. This is so that, when you do practice problems, you have a better understanding of WHY questions are right vs. wrong. This will help you in three ways. First, when you are doing practice problems, you will be able to process your mistakes and successes much more quickly and more effectively. Second, when taking the test, you will be able to do process of elimination (especially on verbal) to get the right answers much more easily. Third, even when you don't have a CLUE how to solve the question, you know the patterns that the GMAT tests and can 'randomly' guess answers much more effectively.

2) Do practice problems: slowly. Find some moderately difficult questions (any of the Kaplan books are good for verbal) and work through them slowly and surely. You need to understand every answer choice and every question completely before moving on to the next -- don't be bothered if a single question is taking you 10-15 minutes at first. And for this, it's perfectly fine to go over the same questions you've already done because it is more about the wrong answers than the right ones.

3) Do timed tests. Once you're comfortable with practice questions and you're percentage correct on them, do ONLY timed tests of 75 minutes and 37-41 questions. This will get your brain in GMAT mode and fatigue will become less of an issue. Also, this is where you should address your question of "how do I stay strong in quant." I would advise doing 2 sections of verbal for every 1 section of quant. I had the opposite issue -- I was scoring very high on verbal and when I started focusing on quant my verbal went way down, so I started mixing it in. The 2/1 ratio worked well for me.

The important thing is to stay motivated. It IS very possible to get a high score. For a few people it seems like this takes little to no effort, but for the rest of us bozos the test is quite correlated to time spent studying (and quality of that time). The more you do the more comfortable you will be, and if you invest 3 solid months, you'll be up in the 700's with no problem.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need help getting back on the Horse [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 06:59
Definitely just stay motivated. I'm re-taking myself (after taking for the first time a few years ago), and found the same "knowledge dump" had occurred. My diagnostic test was well below my first score, but I'm hoping that with dedication, I'll be able to surpass the 700 mark.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 31

Re: Need help getting back on the Horse [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 07:26
greenandwise wrote:
I took the GMAT almost a month ago and got a bad score. I know I have to retake it and I know that I need to work on my verbal but I am having difficulty getting back into the super-motivated place where I wa before I took the test for the first time and I think it is noslty because I don't know where to start. I need to know from those of you who retook the test what you did the second time around...I mean how you started. I have done 85% of the problems from the OG, a lot of KAplan and PRinceton Review problems and frankly I don't know where to start. I feel that doing these problems over again might not be good practice because I've seen them before and I wouldn't really know if I was getting them right because I have seen the problem before or because I conceptually understand them. I think that if I make a good plan from the start and I follow it I have a great chance to do well on the GMAT but I want to start it off right....Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

I in almost an identical situation. I took on Dec. 22nd and am getting back at it this week. Lost as to where I should start. I've done almost every OG question and ideally would like to continue using official materials. Debating buying new OG books that I haven't written in or the prior editions.
Re: Need help getting back on the Horse   [#permalink] 10 Jan 2012, 07:26