Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 09:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need help in choosing school based on my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Need help in choosing school based on my profile [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 13:07
Hello,

My GMAT score is 560 Q 40 V 23 AWA 5.5 IR 3
TOEFL score is 111. Reading, writing, and speaking 27 each and 30 in listening

I was targeting Purdue Calumet for MBA. But it only provides evening course (which I did not know before, I always assumed it to be a full time course), meaning classes are held only once a week in the evening. Most of the students attending already have jobs, so getting a job from the campus is very tough. Although I know a couple of Indians who have gone there and secured jobs that pay 80 grand a year, but I have no idea about the rest of the class and I am not in touch with any of those people. Evening MBA might not be a bad thing, but knowing that securing a job is tough after MBA is really putting me off. The course fee is about 22 grand a year for 2 years.

If I apply to Purdue Krannert, I'll have to pay 22 grand a SEMESTER, which equates to 88 grand for the whole course, which I cannot do in any circumstances!

I know I have scored bad in GMAT (and I am assuming that a TOEFL score of 111 should offset it by at least a little bit), but if I want to start MBA in august session, I do not have enough time to retake it. There were a lot of things that went wrong on the test day and I am sure if I retake it with no extra preparation, I can still score a 580 or something. If I give it 2 months and prepare for verbal (SC and RC, which are the weakest links), I can maybe take it upto 650, maybe beyond. But, I am really hoping to start an MBA this august if I can.

I have 5 years of work experience with 3 different reputed IT companies in India. My undergrad is B.Tech. in computer science and engineering. I want to do an MBA in finance, but I am open to operations management and SCM also.

So, now I am researching more about the schools. I'd appreciate it if someone can give me names of schools in US/Canada that charge around 22 grand a year for MBA. Even cheaper would do or upto 25 grand a year would do.

If it turns out that the schools that fit the above criteria have exhausted the deadline for application, then I wont have an option other that taking GMAT again and applying next year. :(
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [1] , given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Need help in choosing school based on my profile [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 13:21
This post received
KUDOS
hellraiser06 wrote:
Hello,

My GMAT score is 560 Q 40 V 23 AWA 5.5 IR 3
TOEFL score is 111. Reading, writing, and speaking 27 each and 30 in listening

I was targeting Purdue Calumet for MBA. But it only provides evening course (which I did not know before, I always assumed it to be a full time course), meaning classes are held only once a week in the evening. Most of the students attending already have jobs, so getting a job from the campus is very tough. Although I know a couple of Indians who have gone there and secured jobs that pay 80 grand a year, but I have no idea about the rest of the class and I am not in touch with any of those people. Evening MBA might not be a bad thing, but knowing that securing a job is tough after MBA is really putting me off. The course fee is about 22 grand a year for 2 years.

If I apply to Purdue Krannert, I'll have to pay 22 grand a SEMESTER, which equates to 88 grand for the whole course, which I cannot do in any circumstances!

I know I have scored bad in GMAT (and I am assuming that a TOEFL score of 111 should offset it by at least a little bit), but if I want to start MBA in august session, I do not have enough time to retake it. There were a lot of things that went wrong on the test day and I am sure if I retake it with no extra preparation, I can still score a 580 or something. If I give it 2 months and prepare for verbal (SC and RC, which are the weakest links), I can maybe take it upto 650, maybe beyond. But, I am really hoping to start an MBA this august if I can.

I have 5 years of work experience with 3 different reputed IT companies in India. My undergrad is B.Tech. in computer science and engineering. I want to do an MBA in finance, but I am open to operations management and SCM also.

So, now I am researching more about the schools. I'd appreciate it if someone can give me names of schools in US/Canada that charge around 22 grand a year for MBA. Even cheaper would do or upto 25 grand a year would do.

If it turns out that the schools that fit the above criteria have exhausted the deadline for application, then I wont have an option other that taking GMAT again and applying next year. :(

If you want to study in the US, I STRONGLY suggest re-taking and applying next year. Krannert is a solid school, but you will have a tough time getting in. It sounds like you are still in the early stages of researching schools, and some extra time would do you well. You're moving to a new country and spending 2 years of your life (and most likely more then 25k a year, unless you get a few scholarships) you should probably figure out where you would want to apply and why. Feel free to send out an app of two if you still have time though... it'll be decent practice and you may hit the jackpot.
Intern
Intern

Re: Need help in choosing school based on my profile [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 13:25
Highwyre, even if getting in in Krannert is difficult for me, I would not want to get in as the fee is too high (88K for the whole course!). It does not matter if I score 750. I still wont be able to afford it.

Can you help me in determining schools that are closer to 22K a year mark?
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Need help in choosing school based on my profile [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 13:28
hellraiser06 wrote:
Highwyre, even if getting in in Krannert is difficult for me, I would not want to get in as the fee is too high (88K for the whole course!). It does not matter if I score 750. I still wont be able to afford it.

Sorry, I do not have any insight into schools in that price range, BUT, if you end up crushing the GMAT and apply next year, you may earn scholarships to schools ranked around Purdue, making the experience a bit more affordable.
Current Student
Schools: Kelley (Indiana) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 23

Re: Need help in choosing school based on my profile [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 14:05
hellraiser06 wrote:

You might have to look at BYU if cost is the main issue... although obviously you'd have to live by their strict LDS student code and their average student will have pretty high GMAT scores. I think Mays (Texas A&M) has pretty low tuition and it's probably better than Krannert. If you want to go to a North American school, HEC Montréal might be a good bet... they have a 1-year MBA which will lower your costs. They're well-respected in Quebec and parts of Ontario but you'll have a tough time getting a job in the US or Western Canada.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Rice University (Jones) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 690 Q V0
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 9

Re: Need help in choosing school based on my profile [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 14:11
highwyre237 wrote:
If you want to study in the US, I STRONGLY suggest re-taking and applying next year. Krannert is a solid school, but you will have a tough time getting in. It sounds like you are still in the early stages of researching schools, and some extra time would do you well. You're moving to a new country and spending 2 years of your life (and most likely more then 25k a year, unless you get a few scholarships) you should probably figure out where you would want to apply and why. Feel free to send out an app of two if you still have time though... it'll be decent practice and you may hit the jackpot.

I strongly support this.

Also, you won't have a true sense of how much it will be cost until you are weighing your admit/scholarship offers, so deciding from the beginning that you'll only target schools at a certain price range, may not be the best way to find a quality program that will ultimately have the best return. And retaking the GMAT is the single most powerful way (given time constraints) to increase your applicant profile and to increase your chance of a good scholarship. The extra time and few hundred dollars in test fees could mean thousands or tens of thousands in scholarship. Good luck.
Intern
Intern

Re: Need help in choosing school based on my profile [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 15:02
Okay, one thing is clear that retaking GMAT is the best option and in a perfect scenario, a necessary thing. Trust me when I say this: "I agree with you guys 100%".

Okay, lets do this. Lets pretend that I cannot take gmat again. And, all other constraints mentioned in the original post are also there. What now? Lets see where this discussion takes us. Sometimes, we get the most useful result out of a situation as bad as this. We just need to look beyond the obvious (which is retaking GMAT, which is 90% probable that I would go for). Just want to see if there are any good options for people who are in the same situation as me but don't have one year to wait.
Current Student
Schools: Kelley (Indiana) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 23

Re: Need help in choosing school based on my profile [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 20:16
hellraiser06 wrote:
Okay, lets do this. Lets pretend that I cannot take gmat again. And, all other constraints mentioned in the original post are also there. What now? Lets see where this discussion takes us. Sometimes, we get the most useful result out of a situation as bad as this. We just need to look beyond the obvious (which is retaking GMAT, which is 90% probable that I would go for). Just want to see if there are any good options for people who are in the same situation as me but don't have one year to wait.

If you are insistent on going this year, you might stand a chance at Isenberg (UMass) or Jindal (UT Dallas) if you can offset your low GMAT with other things. Both are cheaper programmes with decent employment stats.
Re: Need help in choosing school based on my profile   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2013, 20:16