Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 18:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need help in cracking CR questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need help in cracking CR questions [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 17:44
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Hi

I am preparing for GMAT for last two months and have been able to comprehend most of the areas in GMAT except CR in which i frequently get the questions wrong. I have done around 100 questions from OG 12 and was only able to get 40% of them correct.

I did study Kaplan Verbal workbook and it's kaplan Premier program but to no benefit.

I also studied the CR notes available online in some of forums but again after religiously following the concept in them, I mark the incorrect answers. This thing is de-motivating and giving me jitters. I'm writing GMAT on Sept 29, so less time but more work and to worse it, I'm no good at CR :(

Please advise.

Thanks
VM
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Need help in cracking CR questions [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 18:23
Look into getting either MGMAT CR or Powerscore CR. Both have good strategies.

This is the common answer for most CR difficulties.

Best of luck
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 413 [0], given: 56

Re: Need help in cracking CR questions [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 21:29
which ever book you choose, go through the concepts and explanation of the exercises at least twice.

Also, try to solve (with explanation) as many queries on GMAT club as you can. By giving explanation to others, you'll learn and explore lot of things.

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA Level 2 Candidate
Schools: RD 2: Darden Class of 2012
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 2

Re: Need help in cracking CR questions [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2009, 06:43
I think the question should be how do you prepare yourself when tackling a CR question. Do you read start to finish then go through the answer choices? Do you take notes?

Everyone has a different method but I find the easiest way to approach a question is this.

1) Read the question stem first, by knowing if you are trying to strengthen, weaken, find an assumption etc. as you are reading the question you have a leg up.
2) Write down the conclusion - time is key on the GMAT but taking a couple of seconds to jot down the conclusion helps when reading the answer choices.
3) Determine what you think the answer might be. If you are looking to weaken the argument formulate a couple of ideas before looking at the answer choices. This way you will be simply looking to match an answer with what you already have.
4) Take part on this board. Reading how other people reason out the question will help when constructing strategies.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Re: Need help in cracking CR questions [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2009, 21:58
Hi

Got the book and ave read 1/3rd of it but with no success. I have understood the theory properly but when I tried the fundas on the question set at the back of each chapter and got most of them wrong! No improvement in my accuracy even after this.

Now, this is insane and has hit my panic Button :)

Any further advises. My exam is on Sept 29th and this is where I stand ????

Sad :(
Vaibhav Mittal
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 413 [0], given: 56

Re: Need help in cracking CR questions [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2009, 23:49
vaibhavmittal wrote:
Hi

Got the book and ave read 1/3rd of it but with no success. I have understood the theory properly but when I tried the fundas on the question set at the back of each chapter and got most of them wrong! No improvement in my accuracy even after this.

Vaibhav Mittal

First time you'll miss lot of concepts. Once you are done with the book, start doing something else (may be quant, SC etc). Then re-read the whole book and solve the problems once again. Go through the book atleast twice.

Remember, never skip explanations of even a single questions. When reading the explanation, try to understand each and every bit of explanation and how it fit into the question.. If you have even slight confusion get it clarified by posting queries on this forum or search on the net. You still have lot of time.

You cannot improve unless you understand the concepts clearly.

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Intern
Intern

Re: Need help in cracking CR questions [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2009, 14:40
bigoyal wrote:
vaibhavmittal wrote:
Hi

Vaibhav Mittal

First time you'll miss lot of concepts. Once you are done with the book, start doing something else (may be quant, SC etc). Then re-read the whole book and solve the problems once again. Go through the book atleast twice.

Remember, never skip explanations of even a single questions. When reading the explanation, try to understand each and every bit of explanation and how it fit into the question.. If you have even slight confusion get it clarified by posting queries on this forum or search on the net. You still have lot of time.

Hello

I did few more chapters from Powerscore and have the following observations:

1. I can understand the stem.
2. I know the question types properly.
3. Mostly, I can select two probable answer choice from five. (After spending 10-15 mins in comprehending the stimuli)
4. All the questions I get wrong, it's a problem with the understanding of Stimuli.
5. The question set in Powerscore is very difficult and have used words which are not in my Mind Vocab list

So, I feel that once I can understand the Stimuli then the answer can be selected but this remains the only Challenge ???

Breaking down complex stimulus and then relating the conclusion is a problematic task for me.

Please suggest/ advise.

Thanks
Vaibhav Mittal

Last edited by vaibhavmittal on 29 Aug 2009, 20:56, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 14

Re: Need help in cracking CR questions [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2009, 17:17
Going through Power Score Critical Reasoning is the best way to increase your CR Score.
If you are finding these questions difficult then read the chapter again. I also suggest you should raise your doubts in the forum

As you said in point 4. All the questions I get wrong, it's a problem with the understanding of Stimuli.

You should break your questions in to Premise /conclusion and can ask forum members to help you in finding the write conclusion. If you want to practice tough CR's then i suggest either go for LSAT CR's or IIM( indian) CR's questions with explainations. Even if you got a question right , read the explaination and make sure you are applying the right concept.

Always tag your question

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 9

Re: Need help in cracking CR questions [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2009, 05:33
vaibhavmittal wrote:
bigoyal wrote:
vaibhavmittal wrote:
Hi

Vaibhav Mittal

Hello

I did few more chapters from Powerscore and have the following observations:

1. I can understand the stem.
2. I know the question types properly.
3. Mostly, I can select two probable answer choice from five. (After spending 10-15 mins in comprehending the stimuli)
4. All the questions I get wrong, it's a problem with the understanding of Stimuli.
5. The question set in Powerscore is very difficult and have used words which are not in my Mind Vocab list

So, I feel that once I can understand the Stimuli then the answer can be selected but this remains the only Challenge ???

Breaking down complex stimulus and then relating the conclusion is a problematic task for me.

Please suggest/ advise.

Thanks
Vaibhav Mittal

The problems in the bible are from LSAT sets so in average are a little more difficult than GMAT problems. If you have problems understanding the stimulus, I recommend that you take notes or diagram the stimulus as you're reading it. Take your time at the beginning and don't worry about time restrictions.

Whenever you read a stimulus, you should identify the premises, subconclusion and conclusion. You should also understand how the author uses the premises to arrive to the conclusion. This just takes a lot of practice.

If you want more resources to practice I recommend you buy the LSATS deconstructed
http://www.amazon.com/PowerScore-2004-L ... 0972129642

The book contains the 2004 LSATS exams with their explanations. Each LSAT exam comes with more than 50 critical reasoning questions and the explanations that powerscore provides are the best out there. Don't worry about the type of questions that don't appear in GMAT such as point at issue.

If you have trouble understanding any explanation/question post it here and perhaps somebody will help you.
Good luck.
Re: Need help in cracking CR questions   [#permalink] 30 Aug 2009, 05:33