Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 07:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need help in resheduling GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need help in resheduling GMAT [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 00:52
Hi,

MY GMAT is scheduled on 23 August 2013 and I wish to apply to US B schools in R1 for 2014 August admissions.
However, I started my preparation in June and below are the mock scores:

GMAt Prep 1: 640 (Q47,V32)
MGMAT 1: 630 (Q41,V35)
MGMAT 2: 600 (Q45, V28)

It seems I am not prepared to get a score of atleast 700 in actual GMAT. Should I reschedule my GMAt to 5 Sept 2013 (and not miss any deadlines?
What should I do more to get 700 score in GMAT( as my profile is not so strong- 2 years IT WE)

material referred:
OG 13
MGMAT SC
MGMAT mocks

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Blogger
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Schools: HBS '16, Fuqua
GMAT 1: 510 Q25 V36
GMAT 2: 510 Q29 V31
WE: Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Need help in resheduling GMAT [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 09:31
Most seem to have found the magmat test harder than the actual exam.

Before you make a decision use one of the official practice tests as they give a better indication.

Admissions want to see a really application and advise to submit when your ready.
On top of the GMAT have you given yourself enough time to write the essays?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: Schulich '16 (A)
GMAT Date: 09-14-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Need help in resheduling GMAT [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 13:00
Hi Guys,

I've scheduled my test for 14th Sept. Below are my scores -

Kaplan diagnostic - 670
Kaplan CAT 1 - 650 (Q48 V32)
GMAT Prep 1 - 650 (Q47 V33)

I'm aiming for 730. Under normal conditions I nail math problems but I'm getting easy ones wrong and this makes me deflated and I screw up verbal too.
I also haven't started looking into AWA and integrated reasoning.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 580 Q37 V32
GMAT 2: 570 Q36 V32
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V40
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 159

Re: Need help in resheduling GMAT [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 16:15
Rujuta wrote:
Hi Guys,

Kaplan diagnostic - 670

I'm aiming for 730. Under normal conditions I nail math problems but I'm getting easy ones wrong and this makes me deflated and I screw up verbal too.

Hi, rujuta,

Don't worry! I actually have my GMAT this week and just stumbled upon Grockit. I think solving the questions in a team is proving really helpful and I think it may be helpful if you look at using it as a part of your prep. Specifically, what I look at doing was trying to justify the verbal answers that I have picked and why. Some times it is quite intimidating to do so on the Gmatclub :) because so many people have already answered the same thing.. Goodluck!

-MBAJunkie

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1080

Kudos [?]: 4851 [0], given: 163

Re: Need help in resheduling GMAT [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 20:48
Expert's post
gmataspirant24 wrote:
Hi,

MY GMAT is scheduled on 23 August 2013 and I wish to apply to US B schools in R1 for 2014 August admissions.
However, I started my preparation in June and below are the mock scores:

GMAt Prep 1: 640 (Q47,V32)
MGMAT 1: 630 (Q41,V35)
MGMAT 2: 600 (Q45, V28)

It seems I am not prepared to get a score of atleast 700 in actual GMAT. Should I reschedule my GMAt to 5 Sept 2013 (and not miss any deadlines?
What should I do more to get 700 score in GMAT( as my profile is not so strong- 2 years IT WE)

material referred:
OG 13
MGMAT SC
MGMAT mocks

In my opinion, 12 days extra may not make the required difference. The actual GMAT Verbal questions are a little different from the GMAT Prep questions. Read this post: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/08 ... bal-score/
Plus, you will not be able to focus on your essays since you will need to study for GMAT too. The application you present in round 1 to the schools may not be your best effort. Also, the official score needs to reach the school and that could take 10-20 days (though if you give your unofficial score in the application, they usually accept it and wait for the official confirmation).

My advice would be this: Work hard in the next 10 days and keep your date with the GMAT. Hopefully, you will get the desired score (or close to it). If you do, great! Get going on your essays and apply in round 1. If, unfortunately, you don't get the desired score, take GMAT again after 1.5 months and apply in round 2. You would have experienced the test first hand and would understand the pattern much better. It will help you prepare for the second round.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1080

Kudos [?]: 4851 [0], given: 163

Re: Need help in resheduling GMAT [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 21:03
Expert's post
Rujuta wrote:
Hi Guys,

Kaplan diagnostic - 670

If pressure is getting to you, try to get used to it by always practicing under pressure i.e. 10 questions 20 mins etc. If you usually nail Math problems, then perhaps the concepts are not the problem. Q47 implies you need to focus on more advanced applications of the basic concepts.

Your Verbal needs work. For a 730, you need to bring your Verbal up to 40. For V 40, you need to be very strong in at least two of the three Verbal question types. I don't know if you are using any prep material but I think it will help you if you go through a set of verbal books. Also, the verbal question pattern is evolving - SC questions are based on logic and meaning and RC passages are shorter and more convoluted.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: Schulich '16 (A)
GMAT Date: 09-14-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Need help in resheduling GMAT [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 23:11
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Rujuta wrote:
Hi Guys,

Kaplan diagnostic - 670

If pressure is getting to you, try to get used to it by always practicing under pressure i.e. 10 questions 20 mins etc. If you usually nail Math problems, then perhaps the concepts are not the problem. Q47 implies you need to focus on more advanced applications of the basic concepts.

Your Verbal needs work. For a 730, you need to bring your Verbal up to 40. For V 40, you need to be very strong in at least two of the three Verbal question types. I don't know if you are using any prep material but I think it will help you if you go through a set of verbal books. Also, the verbal question pattern is evolving - SC questions are based on logic and meaning and RC passages are shorter and more convoluted.

Thanks Karishma,

I'm using the MGMAT series and also an e-gmat course for SC as I know I'm weak at that. Although I'm not a native speaker, I consider myself to be pretty strong overall in english and generally get 90%+ correct in OG. I recently gave an IELTS exam and scored an 8.5 without any prep.

I think its the stress that gets to me after a not-so-good quant section :cry:

Also, can you please advise on how to go about studying for IR and AWA? How important are they??
Re: Need help in resheduling GMAT   [#permalink] 13 Aug 2013, 23:11