Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: Need Help Interpreting Practice CATs [#permalink]
Hey FPBull. Yes, RC and CR require semi-constant practice to stay sharp on. They are very much skills that must be constantly honed. At one point in my prep, I did the same thing you did - focused only on Quant - and saw my verbal skills drop temporarily. So, at this stage in your prep, at least every other day, get some good RC and CR practice in.

I'm not sure I made it clear in my previous response, but I recommend practicing on specific Quant subjects to help integrate the strategies, not practicing on all of Quant. So, taking a session and practicing on lots of word problems for instance.

Good luck with your prep! Please let me know if I can help with anything.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 627 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V47
GMAT 3: 780 Q49 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi FP,

Hope you are doing well. Excellent job on your verbal! If you slacked a bit on verbal then a dip isn't abnormal although I might contribute the dip to the MGMAT CAT verbal and its scoring. I don't like any "fake" GMAT verbal. I've seen big ups and downs from students taking the verbal section of MGMAT CATs. For the next two weeks you might consider blasting through the verbal sections of the GMAT Paper Tests. These are great practice. I might also consider getting through all the Medium/Hard verbal from the Question Pack 1 software. In addition, finish all of the Medium/Hard verbal from the OG 13. If you want to have the experience of a full test you can combine the GMAT Paper Test Verbal with MGMAT Quant.

For Quant it looks like you have only taken 2 MGMAT CATS - I would take the rest of them and then maybe even reset them and take them again. People have different opinions on this but I am in favor of a lot of timed Quant the month before the real GMAT. While taking the exams focus on:

1. Organized problem solving (avoid careless mistakes)

2. Not rushing but keeping Forward momentum (if you don't have a plan after a minute or so then move on).

Remember that the review is the most important part so don't skimp on it. Maybe this post on GMAT Study Habits will be helpful. Are you consolidating the Quant formulas and strategies that you are learning in to some kind of notebook? That can really help get all of your GMAT magic solidified.

Good job working through the OG 13, in addition I would consider working on the Medium/Difficult Quant from Question Pack 1 and retaking GMAT Prep 1 and 2 (at least the Quant sections).

You still have the Exam Pack with tests 3 and 4 which you can take about a week from now. That 700+ is close - let's consolidate all of the things that you know and make it happen! Let me know if you have any questions.

Happy Studies,

A.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Awesome advice guys....thanks for the support. Now I just need to warm back up on Verbal! I just had a chance to evaluate my latest MGMAT CAT....timing issues were a very big deal. I had 6 questions where I spent more than three 3minutes on, and 3 of the 6 i spent more than 3.5 minutes. I got 4 of those 6 correct but those 6 killed me overall. Of the 11 questions I spent less than 1m 30 sec on I only got 3 of them correct (a lot of these were guesses to catch up on time). of these 11, most of them were easier difficulty that I most likely could have gotten correct if I had the 2 minutes to devote to them.

I tend to take a lot of time with heavy arithmetic....Any advice on how many to skip and when to skip in order to maximize my score?

I have seen the post by Bunuel where he was playing with the GMATprep CATS and it seems like spending more time on the first ten might be beneficial...thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 627 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V47
GMAT 3: 780 Q49 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi,

In general the GMAT doesn't expect you to do heavy arithmetic. So ask yourself before doing heavy arithmetic: is there another way? Can I simplify? Factor? Estimate?

Two things that can help improve your GMAT timing and accuracy:

1. Define the question before working out the details. This may reveal some way to simplify the method of getting there.

2. Always look for ways to divide before you multiply.

In terms of allocating time this article on GMAT Timing might help. In general keep your timing between 1:30 and 3:30. Usually below 1:30 you make careless mistakes and above 3:30 you are lost anyways and are just burning time and energy. Give a little more time to the first 5 or so questions. Not because of the algorithm but to get your feet on solid ground. To get yourself in a solid place mentally. Of course, still leave the option to move on if you get stuck on anything. Once you get your timing down you should be able to pick up all those easy/medium GMAT questions that you have missed.

Happy Studies,
A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Just finished the GMAT! 710 (Q46, V41) with an IR of 8. Good to have this one in the bag...I'll try to post a debrief this weekend. Thanks for the help everyone.
GMAT Club Bot