Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Nov 2014, 10:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

need help on this syllogism question please!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

need help on this syllogism question please! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 11:57
Statements :
1. All women are mothers.
2. All mothers are sisters.
Conclusions :
1. All women are sisters.
2. Some women are not
sisters.
Since both the premises
are affirmative, the
conclusion must be
affirmative. So, conclusion
2 cannot follow.

hi guys this is a syllogism question i copied from indiabix..i just wanted to know why conclusion 2 does not follow..if we take conclusion 1 as a convertend then conclusion 1 would gives us the following converse;some women are mothers..now,my question lies on the fact that if some women are mothers then the arguement that some women are not mothers would also be true according to the contrary rule(which states that if one of the two contraries is true then the other is also true)on the tradition square of opposition..i need your replies please

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 456 [0], given: 456

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: need help on this syllogism question please! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 15:44
chiccufrazer1 wrote:
Statements :
Conclusions :
2. Some women are not
sisters.
Since both the premises
are affirmative, the
conclusion must be
2 cannot follow.

hi guys this is a syllogism question i copied from indiabix..i just wanted to know why conclusion 2 does not follow..if we take conclusion 1 as a convertend then conclusion 1 would gives us the following converse;some women are mothers..now,my question lies on the fact that if some women are mothers then the arguement that some women are not mothers would also be true according to the contrary rule(which states that if one of the two contraries is true then the other is also true)on the tradition square of opposition..i need your replies please

1.) I wasn't able to grasp after the red part. So will explain the question in red.
2.) this is not a gmat question. It will be better for you if you study from a better source.
3.) answer to the red part:
if there are 5 women, who are all mothers. And these 5 mothers are all sisters, then "Some women are not sisters" does not hold true.
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 745 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: need help on this syllogism question please! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 21:27
A better framing of conclusion two would be "Some women may not be sisters"

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1186

Kudos [?]: 5661 [0], given: 167

Re: need help on this syllogism question please! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 23:24
Expert's post
chiccufrazer1 wrote:
Statements :
Conclusions :
2. Some women are not
sisters.
Since both the premises
are affirmative, the
conclusion must be
2 cannot follow.

I don't know which book you are following to get your concepts straight but it is certainly not working out. I am not sure where the fault lies.

'All women are mothers' implies 'some women are mothers' - Correct
'Some women are mothers' implies 'some women are not mothers' - Incorrect

'Some' is a case of partial information. You only know about some women. You don't know about the others. In a class, say, there are 10 students. I ask only 3 of them - 'Are you from Michigan?' All three say 'Yes'. I can now say that 'some of you are from Michigan'. The point is - I don't know about the rest.. It is possible that they are from Michigan too. It is possible that some of them are not from Michigan. I don't know. Hence, 'some people are' does not imply 'some are not'.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: need help on this syllogism question please!   [#permalink] 13 Jan 2013, 23:24