Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 16:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need help on verbal score drop!! retest in 7 weeks

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need help on verbal score drop!! retest in 7 weeks [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2013, 07:40
Hellow everyone,
I just took my first GMAT yesterday and the score was very disappointing. It is the lowest out of all the practice tests I have taken but surprisingly my verbal score went from 33 to 27 on the actual test. Can anyone help and advise on what probably went wrong? I really haven't spent much time on verbal as quant has always been my weakness. I will be taking a second GMAT in less than 8 weeks, is this enough time to improve my score? how much improvement do you think is reasonable given another 7 weeks of time to prepare?

Also, I would like to hear any suggestions on preparation for CR. During my test yesterday I did feel that all the CRs I encountered I was not 100% confident with my answers. Lastly, what would be a good way to keep all the quant materials fresh in my mind now that I need to devote more time to verbal?

thank you all, anything helps.

Angela
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Prepster and Stratus Prep
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.1
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 4

Re: Need help on verbal score drop!! retest in 7 weeks [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 06:32
I think you answered your own question... Practice more.

How did you feel while taking the exam? Calm? Nervous?

If my response helps, please add throw me a kudos.

Jim Kernan is the Director of GMAT Operations at Stratus Prep and author of GMAT Materials for GMAT Prepster.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Need help on verbal score drop!! retest in 7 weeks [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 12:45
I was nervous but I felt much better after quant because quant has been the section that's bothered me most. I felt confident taking the mgmat cat verbal sections but I think maybe they are way too easy than the real GMAT verbal. What should I do now? I definitely want to focus more on verbal but don't want to forget the math.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Posted from my mobile device Image
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 894

Kudos [?]: 3784 [0], given: 148

Re: Need help on verbal score drop!! retest in 7 weeks [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 20:52
Expert's post
lalanpuffz wrote:
Hellow everyone,
I just took my first GMAT yesterday and the score was very disappointing. It is the lowest out of all the practice tests I have taken but surprisingly my verbal score went from 33 to 27 on the actual test. Can anyone help and advise on what probably went wrong? I really haven't spent much time on verbal as quant has always been my weakness. I will be taking a second GMAT in less than 8 weeks, is this enough time to improve my score? how much improvement do you think is reasonable given another 7 weeks of time to prepare?

Also, I would like to hear any suggestions on preparation for CR. During my test yesterday I did feel that all the CRs I encountered I was not 100% confident with my answers. Lastly, what would be a good way to keep all the quant materials fresh in my mind now that I need to devote more time to verbal?

thank you all, anything helps.

Angela

It's very hard to give you suitable advice without more information - what were your practice scores, your actual scores, your target score, Q/V split, test prep material you used etc.
7 weeks can be a lot of time for some and not enough for others. It depends on how far you are from your target and how much effort you are willing to put in.
For CR, check out the Veritas CR book. It gives you very clear directions and helps in building strong fundamentals.
Practice and regular review should keep Quant concepts fresh in your mind.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Need help on verbal score drop!! retest in 7 weeks   [#permalink] 25 Mar 2013, 20:52