Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V40
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
 Q50  V40
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [1]
Send PM
Re: Need Help....one week to go. [#permalink]
Bookmarks
kyatin wrote:
Friends,

I did GMATPrep Second exam today and got messed up. 650 (Q49, V29)

Few weeks back when I did GMATPrep 1. I had gotten 700 ( Q48 V37)

The issue I have is 1st attempt I did 14 wrong on Verbal and got 37, while this time with 15 wrong I dropped to 29.

Does anyone have any insight into this?

My problem seems to be timing on verbal. I got 15 questions wrong. Also those 15 included one RC paragraph which I dint even try and just picked up my answers. Because I had 6 minutes and 8 total question left...

Is this a good strategy if you cant complete all questions otherwise?

Does GMAT know you are skipping RC?
Its not too tough for them to find out if they want to anyway.

In general can anyone help me with what strategies might help to solve time issue little bit. I have 6 solid days left...and want to know how best I can use them to push my verbal close to 40...I think if I get some good plan..I can do it.

Also I did GMATPrep1 repeats two times and had 720 and 760...looks like those dint mean much... :cry:

One difference, in 4 attempts I did, attempt 1 and 2 (700,720) I dint do AWAs, last 2 attempts (760-2nd repeat of GMAT Prep1 ,650 - 1st attempt of GMATPrep2) I did do AWA. I am sure that did take some toll on my focus in Verbal section. SO lesson always do complete test....especially last 2 weeks.

Also I dint do any other complete tests...like MGMAT etc..dont have any....is there any point trying to take those with exam on 1st.

Thanks for your time and I really appreciate all/any help.

Kyatin

GMATPrep scores with repeats are of little use, b/c besides the obvious of seeing repeated questions, you give yourself more time on the new questions by solving the repeats quickly. Also, if you're having timing issues with a week to go, you should postpone the test.

Let me ask you this, do you have a plan as to what question number you should be on after 20 minutes? after 40 minutes?

It's obvious that you're capable of a high score. The question is whether you want to fine tune it to increase your chances of scoring 700+
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2074 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Dude , I think you should take the test if have the momentum. Just relax when you take the CAT or GMAT prep.
I had the same issue with DS and SC. Since they seem easy at times, the tendency is to kill them before reading completely.
So yeah,perhaps have a drink before u start.It helps surgeons.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Thanks Kidderek and Nihit for your inputs.

You guys are right...I think I just need to relax a little bit.

I dint believe in repeat scores, but I did make sure that I let avg time go by if I saw repeat to make sure I dont get extra time...however it still is not same as giving exam first time for sure.

Reading around some posts, I did see that one score (good or bad) is not representative of what you can do.

And then this post just enlightened me...

https://gmatclub.com/forum/1-p357683?t=50711#p357683

I guess my best option now is to keep cool and make best of what I have done. GMAT is anyway gonna figure out my "true ability".
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1574 [0]
Send PM
kyatin,

Keep your cool. Treat GMAT as another day of your life. Go to test with the mindset that this is just another test, not that if I fail this test my life is over. A lot of people tend to stress out about the d-day, and it greatly affects the score (in my case at least). I bombed my first test because I was just too stressed out. If this is your first time, you still have time to retake it another time, and lots of time to do the essays. Don't stress out. It's just another day...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Thanks BKK145 for your advice and time.

Lets see what happens.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Here's my story - hope it helps :)
8-t47351

kyatin wrote:
bsd_lover
Whats your story? U done with GMAT or not yet?
Kyatin
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Cool. Congratulations, 700 Clubber!

So how is your GRE coming along. Done yet.

Good luck with everything!

Kyatin
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
kyatin wrote:
My problem seems to be timing on verbal. I got 15 questions wrong. Also those 15 included one RC paragraph which I dint even try and just picked up my answers. Because I had 6 minutes and 8 total question left...

This board is so full of math people!

;)

I'm the opposite. Taking GMATPrep 1 today, I had 15-20 minutes left when I finished Verbal and missed 5. But with Quantitative, I had 15-20 SECONDS left and missed 17!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Can we write both of our exams together. I will do quant for you and you can do verbal for me . :lol:

I envy you! because quant can be improved in 3 months. Verbal takes liftime.
I dont have quant Manhatten guides...but have heard lot about them. Try those and participate in these forums....you will have 750+ score. also dont forget OG.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
Just want to say good luck again. Rest well, keep calm, take the break, and really sink into the passages when you read RC problems. It's hard to really know what you are reading when you are tired and under pressure. But remind yourself that you have to really take what you read in. If you understand the passage, then you can skip some details because you'll know where to find them if you need to. Try it when you prepare, read a passage and stop right after you read it. Ask yourself what this passage is about. Not the details. But the central content. If you know what it is about, then it's easy to answer the questions.

Let us know how it goes!

Hong
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Send PM
kyatin,

Even I took GMAT Prep1 today. Scored 640. 18 questions wrong in verbal. I have GMAT in a week. I have a severe timing issue with verbal sectionl. Questions are confusing me. My accuracy was also poor while solving OG. All the Best. Lets hope for the Best.

Guys,

How should I pace myself during actual test. Where should I be after 20 minutes, after 40 minutes and so on. Your input are highly appreciated.
Note : The feeling I have now is very very bad. I pray no GMAT test taker should face such a situation.

Thanks,
Leopard.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V40
Send PM
HongHu wrote:
Just want to say good luck again. Rest well, keep calm, take the break, and really sink into the passages when you read RC problems. It's hard to really know what you are reading when you are tired and under pressure. But remind yourself that you have to really take what you read in. If you understand the passage, then you can skip some details because you'll know where to find them if you need to. Try it when you prepare, read a passage and stop right after you read it. Ask yourself what this passage is about. Not the details. But the central content. If you know what it is about, then it's easy to answer the questions.

Let us know how it goes!

Hong

Thanks Hong and all others for all help and wishes.
Hong thanks for putting these RC tips together.
I have 3 solid days to go...Yes I CAN!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Leopard wrote:
kyatin,

Even I took GMAT Prep1 today. Scored 640. 18 questions wrong in verbal. I have GMAT in a week. I have a severe timing issue with verbal sectionl. Questions are confusing me. My accuracy was also poor while solving OG. All the Best. Lets hope for the Best.

Guys,

How should I pace myself during actual test. Where should I be after 20 minutes, after 40 minutes and so on. Your input are highly appreciated.
Note : The feeling I have now is very very bad. I pray no GMAT test taker should face such a situation.

Thanks,
Leopard.

Leopard I am not sure where you are in prep. I have not given exam yet so I will reserve my advice till then.
One thing I can safely say though is....what will never hurt you while preparing is "PRACTICE" .
Do as much of it as you can. Do one go of content materials and then just practice (with timer). There is just unlimited material available for same. Good luck!.
PS: Also make sure you do 2 more things....keep an error log and measure progress. you dont realize importance of these 2 till end when its too late.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks Kyatin. I have completed Kaplan, MGMAT SC, OG 11, Verbal Review book is remaining. My Math is good. But, I have never crossed 34 in verbal. Yes, I will PRACTICE hard for the next week (with TIMER).

I have never done the last two part. Big Mistake. I realize its importance now. I will try my Best. Thanks again Kyatin.

Best Regards,
Leopard.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi,

I just created my first error log. All the mistakes I made were careless mistake. I could easily avoid (provided there is no time constraint).

careless mistakes can also be corrected. I will start working on it.

Regards,
Leopard.

----
"Its not 'I failed in GMAT' that's going to hurt me. But, what's going to hurt me is that 'I never tried my Best'". I will never allow the second to happen.
----
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Send PM
Hi Kyatin!

I have been neglecting this excellent website for too long and so I didnt know you were back although it seems you have been back for quite some time.

I wish I had been active here and known about you earlier.
You were a big help when I started posting. When I posted and saw your response I felt I had made a pretty decent post. I do remember back then you were not too active in the verbal forum but great in the maths section. Your scores suggest that has not changed!

When you prepare these last few days think of your present attempt at GMAT as your ultimate attempt. Dont consider options like retaking the GMAT. You can consider that after your GMAT if need be but not now.
Also Kiderrek left some powerful advice on this thread about having a plan. I had such a plan and I can tell you its extremely effective.

I would like to help you more but more last minute advice will not be a good thing.

The best to you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V40
Send PM
vikramjit_01 wrote:
Hi Kyatin!

I have been neglecting this excellent website for too long and so I didnt know you were back although it seems you have been back for quite some time.

I wish I had been active here and known about you earlier.
You were a big help when I started posting. When I posted and saw your response I felt I had made a pretty decent post. I do remember back then you were not too active in the verbal forum but great in the maths section. Your scores suggest that has not changed!

When you prepare these last few days think of your present attempt at GMAT as your ultimate attempt. Dont consider options like retaking the GMAT. You can consider that after your GMAT if need be but not now.
Also Kiderrek left some powerful advice on this thread about having a plan. I had such a plan and I can tell you its extremely effective.

I would like to help you more but more last minute advice will not be a good thing.

The best to you.

What can I say. I am humbled about your comment here. I do remember you btw.
Yes I had to take a break last year and then we had a addition to our family. So its not same anymore. Finding time has become exponentially difficult.
I did practice more verbal this time. Dont feel a lot solid...but lets see how it goes. May the force be with me !
Thanks for your wishes!
Where are you in your MBA process?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts