Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 01:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need Help..... Only 25 days left for GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

Need Help..... Only 25 days left for GMAT [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 23:25
Hello,

I started preparing for GMAT towards the second week of March and study (includes practice time) for around 6+ hrs a day. Till now couldn't find much of an improvement. Score is still hovering between 540-590. Took MGMAT CAT today and scored 590. Really disappointing! Please help me to improve and reach my target of 750. I know I can do it but I'm not finding any significant improvement yet. While I was reviewing today's test, I found that 2-3 questions are gone wrong due to silly error :(. Few verbal questions went wrong because I could narrow down to two answer choices but chose the wrong one among the two. The latter happens for me at least in 33% of the questions. Unable to get rid of this. I am really scared about my performance on the actual GMAT.

Could anyone please guide me in understanding where am I lacking and what can I do to improve my performance in the short amount of time that I have?

Appreciate any sort of help!
Thanks
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 181

Kudos [?]: 148 [0], given: 4

Re: Need Help..... Only 25 days left for GMAT [#permalink] New post 18 May 2012, 14:22
Expert's post
gits wrote:
Hello,

I started preparing for GMAT towards the second week of March and study (includes practice time) for around 6+ hrs a day. Till now couldn't find much of an improvement. Score is still hovering between 540-590. Took MGMAT CAT today and scored 590. Really disappointing! Please help me to improve and reach my target of 750. I know I can do it but I'm not finding any significant improvement yet. While I was reviewing today's test, I found that 2-3 questions are gone wrong due to silly error :(. Few verbal questions went wrong because I could narrow down to two answer choices but chose the wrong one among the two. The latter happens for me at least in 33% of the questions. Unable to get rid of this. I am really scared about my performance on the actual GMAT.

Could anyone please guide me in understanding where am I lacking and what can I do to improve my performance in the short amount of time that I have?

Appreciate any sort of help!
Thanks

Hi there,

Here are a couple tips for dealing the errors you mentioned:

"Careless" Quant Errors. These are always the most frustrating! Kind of makes you wish the GMAT gave partial credit, since you did all the hard work on the problem :) . Think of it this way, once you've gone to all the trouble of correctly setting up a problem, rushing through the final computational stages means throwing all your hard work out the window! And of course, the test will be waiting with the wrong answer as a trap! If you feel that you've got a problem set up correctly, you should actually slow down a bit and make sure your computations are accurate. Rushing is never a good way to save time on this test – find that extra time somewhere else!

Verbal "Down To Two" Errors. Ah, everyone dreads this one! It's very common, by the way; most Verbal questions have 2 or 3 answer choices that can be easily eliminated, even at the highest level. Develop a system for dealing with this scenario with every different question type. For example, if I'm down to two answers on a Critical Reasoning problem that's asking me to find the assumption, I always go with the "negation test" – negating the correct assumption will severely weaken the argument. The important thing is that you have a plan for getting out of this scenario so you don't end up spending too much time and second guessing yourself.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark Sullivan | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Seattle, WA

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

Re: Need Help..... Only 25 days left for GMAT [#permalink] New post 18 May 2012, 20:53
Thank you Mark.

I'll keep these points in mind.

Appreciate your response!
Re: Need Help..... Only 25 days left for GMAT   [#permalink] 18 May 2012, 20:53