Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 00:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need help.... Quant is owning me

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 8

Need help.... Quant is owning me [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 18:01
This post received
KUDOS
Not that my verbal is much better, but:

Having some problems with quant.

I know I'm spending to much time on questions at the beginning.

How can I speed up, or is this even my problem?

Getting very frustrating as I'm devoting 16-20 hours a week of study time just to get these results.
I've been using Kaplan's GMAT Premier to study with.

Attachment:
GMAT Practice Test (Kaplan 1-27-13).png
GMAT Practice Test (Kaplan 1-27-13).png [ 35.28 KiB | Viewed 1019 times ]
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 187 [2] , given: 66

Re: Need help.... Quant is owning me [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 10:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there, without having many details as to what kinds of questions are messing you up, it's pretty clear from your posted results that time is currently a big issue hindering your results. If you look at the first 10 questions, all but one of them took you 4-5 minutes to solve. That means after 10 questions, you've gone through half the time of the exam. It will be very difficult to get a high schore at this point because you're going to be rushing through questions trying to make back some of the time lost.

As such, I'd review just the first 10 questions you did and see why they took you so long? Was it a question of understanding what was being asked? Was it a question of taking a long time to do the calculations? Depending on what the questions are, you may want to focus on mental math calculations or geometry concepts. If you can practice answering questions in 2-3 minutes instead of 4-5, you'll be in much better shape to answer all the questions and get a much better score.

In general, the review of a CAT to see where the mistakes were made is more important than trying to do a second CAT. Look at the questions, figure out how to solve them faster and time your calculation time. In my classes, one of the first things I recommend is to re-memorize the multiplication table up to 12x12. We learned this in elementary but have forgotten it. It's amazing how much time can be saved by not having to calcultate 9x12 and 8x7 on paper.

Hope some of this helps. If you provide more details as to the time expenditure we can try and drill down further to save time.
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Re: Need help.... Quant is owning me [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 16:28
This was very helpful, thank you.

I think the main issue for me with the first 10 questions was a little bit of understanding what was being asked, or concept, but more of that it took me too long on the calculations.

So it took me way too long on the calculations and some of the questions seemed tough.

I'm going to review the test for the next few hours to see if this will help me improve. Thank you, and any other comments or advice are welcome.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 187 [1] , given: 66

Re: Need help.... Quant is owning me [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 14:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Cazca,
thanks for the added information about the time it takes to process calculations. This is very common in our calculator-dependent world. In fact everyone always has one handy now given that cell phones have built-in calculators. The more we are dependent on these, the slower the calculations seem to come on their own.

As a first step, I would recommend relearning the multiplication table you knew when you were in elementary school. The standard 12x12 grid with the perfect squares along the main diagonals. I've seen students struggle with math like 7x8 and 3x7 and 9x12 which take a couple of seconds at most when you know them off-hand. It also comes in handy for all kinds of problems that require factoring or divisions. For example, consider questions such as:

425 + N is divisible by 7. If N is between 0 and 7, what is N?

If you don't know the multiplication table, you might take 30-60 seconds to try and figure out how many times to multiply 7 to get close to this number. However, if you know that 7x6 is 42, then you quickly realize that 7x60 is 420, and you don't have to slog through the calculations at all! You drop 420, are left with 5, and correctly deduce the answer is N=2.

There are other important mathematical concepts to memorize, such as common fractions (from 1/2 to 1/10) and things, but nothing gives you higher Return On Investment than knowing your multiplication tables forwards and backwards. (Note: Please don't learn them Backwards a la Toys Я Us, forwards will be sufficient!)

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Re: Need help.... Quant is owning me [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 17:19
Going back a making another attempt at the questions I was able to solve them in much less time. I'm not sure what this means.

I'm going to take your advice with the multiplication tables because I do often find myself thinking for more then a couple seconds what x*y is.

Calculators have crippled me!

Thank you for the help, and as always more advice is welcome!
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 654

Kudos [?]: 2798 [0], given: 882

Re: Need help.... Quant is owning me [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 08:21
Expert's post
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 66

Re: Need help.... Quant is owning me [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 08:48
Expert's post
Hi cazca, I'm happy to know that your times are improving. There are always other tips and strategies that you can use to save time or answer questions more efficiently, but the multiplication table and fractions conversions are among the best ways to save time on the exam. I could give you additional feedback if I had more details as to how you're doing. Please feel free to post them here or PM me directly. Good luck and please keep me advised of your progress!

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Need help.... Quant is owning me   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2013, 08:48