Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need help regarding timming strategy (verbal section)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Need help regarding timming strategy (verbal section) [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2014, 09:56
Dear all and experts,

I need help what timming strategy should i follow in real gmat or gmat prep test.
Becase i take me about 8min over all in reading passage and answer the questions related to this passsage
2 min on avg to take one SC question and 3 min in one RC

I am we confused whr i m wrong?

Please help how to cut down the time and where (on sc, rc or cr)

And much time should i give to the specific type of question on gmat to complete the test
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 3

Premium Member
Re: Need help regarding timming strategy (verbal section) [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2014, 11:56
Expert's post
Hi there,

Timing in the RC can be challenging. Perhaps you can improve your note-taking skills, which will ultimately help you decrease the time you spend on the questions:

Taking notes in the Reading Comprehension section can be very useful.
Since more than 95% of all correct answers for Main Idea and Structure questions come from the first two sentences of the paragraphs, your first step is to read the first two sentences of each paragraph and take notes on each.

Make sure you only paraphrase and do not copy everything word-for-word. The point is is to get a brief summary of what you have read.

Pay attention to any of sentences that have opposition conjunctions like however, but and although.

This should be enough for a general mapping of the text and should help you locate many of the detail-related questions.

Before you get the hang of note-taking, don’t worry about timing. Your timing will improve as you practice. Most people complain about the fact that note-taking takes more time, but in the end, it will actually save you time and make you more precise.

Regards,

Elizabeth

http://econgm.at/GMATclub
For free GMAT practice questions, follow us @econgmat_qs
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Need help regarding timming strategy (verbal section) [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2014, 08:16
This should be enough for a general mapping of the text and should help you locate many of the detail-related questions.

Before you get the hang of note-taking, don’t worry about timing. Your timing will improve as you practice. Most people complain about the fact that note-taking takes more time, but in the end, it will actually save you time and make you more precise.

Regards,

Elizabeth[/quote]

Would you plz tell what is proposed or recomended timeto complete one Reading passage, One Critical Reading, and one sentence correction question?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Need help regarding timming strategy (verbal section) [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2014, 08:17
I've attached a table that maps out appropriate timings per problem type. The formatting gets messed up in a post.

How are you preparing? If you are self-studying, I strongly recommend my guide, GMAT Clarity (amazon link). It sounds like you could really use the guidance on self-studying effectively and efficiently with the right prep materials.
Attachments

File comment: Shows the average and maximum times to take per problem type on Verbal and Quant to complete every problem in 75 minutes.
Timing Table.pdf [7.59 KiB]
Downloaded 20 times

To download please login or register as a user

Thomas Hall

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Need help regarding timming strategy (verbal section) [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2014, 02:07
Yes timing will be the most important and challenging task. I think there is no need of worry. You will have to create a new updated strategy and time table for this and again start study on the updated time table.

All the best
Re: Need help regarding timming strategy (verbal section)   [#permalink] 26 Apr 2014, 02:07