Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 08:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

need help- score dropped

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

need help- score dropped [#permalink] New post 19 May 2012, 15:15
Need help!
I took GMAT twice.
First - around 3 years ago and second - Today.
Last time, I scored 590 [Q49, V22] and today 530[Q44, V20].
It was so hard to see clearly while driving back home.
Last few months, I thought I was focused, I knew what I had to do to improve especially verbal.
I thought I had tools in my repertoire this time, unlike last time.
For last 5-6 months, I have been reading NY Times and Economist, though, I admit I didn't really analyze the paragraphs.

To improve on verbal, I referred following books-
1: PowerScore CR Bible
2: Manhattan SC
3: PowerScore Bible
4: Manhattan RC

I spent last 2 days on 700+ level SC questions and the success rate was around 80% - it seems all the questions I got wrong were in that I didn't understand the meaning clearly.

In last 2-3 months, I took following practice test -
MGMAT CAT 1 - 650 Q44, V35
MGMAT CAT2 - 630 Q42, V34
MGMAT CAT 3 - 660 Q43, V37
MGMAT CAT4 - 600 Q42, V32

In last month-
GMATPrep 1- 710 , 740 (I think scored were inflated as I'd already worked on 700+ Quant questions and as there were quite a few repeat questions.)

For some reason, I was quite anxious today. I think I wrote a pretty good (awa-argument) but got out of time :(; hit 'Next' button too late. I guess I will know when official score arrives in a week or so.
Also I exceeded my break time, after AWA, by 1 min and 38 seconds :(

I don't know what to do now. I am in my 30's. May be to obtain MBA degree from a reputed school will remain a dream.

Thank you,
Mahi
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: need help- score dropped [#permalink] New post 20 May 2012, 05:17
Sounds like you had a fairly bad test day.

You still have 2 more MGMAT tests that will not have any repeat questions. Use one of those tests as a new baseline for preparing. From there, through an error log, begin working through any unique problem sets you can find (MGMAT problem banks, Veritas, GMATClub Tests, our forums, etc.). Keep an error log to help identify any subconscious things you were not aware 9f (skipping steps in algebra, using incorrect formula in geo, extreme words in RC/CR, consistent mistakes in SC, etc.) and work forward. Use your last MGMAT test go gauge progress and if you feel ready, schedule the test.

Since you have trouble sleeping, I suggest going with an afternoon session. Leave you the morning to rest, eat a proper meal, be alert, etc. Manage your time better on the test and you should be set to reach your goal.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 9

Re: need help- score dropped [#permalink] New post 20 May 2012, 13:48
I read that the last 2 MGMAT tests are easier than the rest to boost your confidence. I will use the official test sim for a more accurate estimate.
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: need help- score dropped [#permalink] New post 20 May 2012, 18:45
Wwdrok1 wrote:
I read that the last 2 MGMAT tests are easier than the rest to boost your confidence. I will use the official test sim for a more accurate estimate.

That would generally cause a great deal of customer disatisfaction and I don't buy it.

Please provide some support for that claim.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: need help- score dropped [#permalink] New post 21 May 2012, 18:41
Thank you all for replying.
I'm still a little bit depressed - I was quite confident that I would get at least 660 or so.
I thought I had decent command on Quant but now that I reflect back , I can easily recall that almost in all the practice tests I took, I had to rush through last 4-5 questions at least.

I definitely have pacing issue, especially for verbal questions though I think that I understand (obviously my gmat scores tell otherwise) most of SC, CR and RC questions.

Obviously in some CR questions, I struggle to correctly understand answer choices - sometimes they don't match at all what I guess it should be after reading questions stem and argument.

In a nutshell, it's about pacing and pacing translates to understanding concepts to a certain extent.
I still need to figure out what kind of CR questions I have difficulty with - is there any way I can find easily?

And of course, I still need to understand how to make best use of this great forum.

Thank you,
Mahi
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: need help- score dropped [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 09:23
In terms of reading materials, if you don't understand what you're reading in the paper, then it's not a good thing...

Two, with breaks, just go there to use the bathroom, gather your thoughts together and get back to the test room. The break is technically 8 minutes long but you really should get back in there after six minutes or so..
Re: need help- score dropped   [#permalink] 23 May 2012, 09:23