Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 13:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need help stuck at 520 :(

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Need help stuck at 520 :( [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 00:29
Hi,

I have been a member at gmatclub since April 2013 and this forum has helped me a lot in understanding the basics of how to go about studying for gmat. I started studying around may, but not very seriously until a month back, in the beginning i used to study around 2 - 3 days a week for 1 - 2 hrs, it took me some time to get used to studying again as i was working for 4+ years (had a tough time remembering basic concepts :| ). I began to study seriously from September for about 3 - 4 hrs a day. I got MGMAT books and reviewed all the concepts, gave some mock tests and my average score has been around 520 ( Q42, V20). I have my GMAT exam booked on 7th December 2013.
I'm not understanding how i should go ahead from this stage to score a 700+. I have completed my OG13 & analyzing the questions that i got wrong.
I would greatly appreciate all the help.

Thanks,
Sneha
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 295

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 6

Re: Need help stuck at 520 :( [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2013, 09:28
Expert's post
Hi sneha,

Even with a general sense of core concepts, you may want to come up with an attack strategy for answering GMAT questions. Sometimes knowing the concept will still leave you confused about what the answer is.

For verbal, if you can figure out how to arrive at the answer without reading every single word - you can save a lot of time.

For quant, if you can get familiar with testing certain values or reading a rate problem and knowing how to structure it - you'll be that much more prepared for what is to come. Focus on thought process - not on memorizing formulas. Formulas including d = rt are only the basics - not enough to actually get the answer right.

As you study OG, you may be interested in our online tracker: http://www.gmatpill.com/official-guide-gmat/

We recommend a solid study plan in which you dedicate the first 5 days completely to your weakest section.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1152

Kudos [?]: 5350 [0], given: 165

Re: Need help stuck at 520 :( [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2013, 21:01
Expert's post
Sneha0909 wrote:
Hi,

I have been a member at gmatclub since April 2013 and this forum has helped me a lot in understanding the basics of how to go about studying for gmat. I started studying around may, but not very seriously until a month back, in the beginning i used to study around 2 - 3 days a week for 1 - 2 hrs, it took me some time to get used to studying again as i was working for 4+ years (had a tough time remembering basic concepts :| ). I began to study seriously from September for about 3 - 4 hrs a day. I got MGMAT books and reviewed all the concepts, gave some mock tests and my average score has been around 520 ( Q42, V20). I have my GMAT exam booked on 7th December 2013.
I'm not understanding how i should go ahead from this stage to score a 700+. I have completed my OG13 & analyzing the questions that i got wrong.
I would greatly appreciate all the help.

Thanks,
Sneha

A 180 point jump will certainly take effort and more importantly, effort in the right direction. I assume your verbal concepts are not very strong (yes, verbal is conceptual as well) and need some serious work. There are different ways of going about it. Working on the official guide will not be the most helpful at this stage. You need to understand fundamentals. A classroom/virtual course would be helpful since you would have an instructor explaining you the basics. You can also try to work your way through a set of books. It depends on how you study best. You need a 20 point jump in your Verbal score to get to your desired score.

Also, a Q42 says that your quant fundamentals are fine but advanced application is not so good. You might want to work hard at higher level quant questions. A 6-7 point jump will help you break the 700 point barrier.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Need help stuck at 520 :(   [#permalink] 16 Oct 2013, 21:01